Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1938204 - 07/07/14 07:41 PM Can you transfer a flood policy?
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
For some reason I thought after December 2012 transferring of flood policies is no longer valid. Each new property owner would have to purchase their own flood insurance policy on the property they are purchasing. Can you confirm if that is correct or not? We have a borrower that wants to just have the flood policy transferred from the current owner at the time of the loan closing. I am thinking we can not do that....

Thanks for your help -

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1938233 - 07/07/14 08:23 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
I just want to clarify - it would be considered an Assignment of a Flood Policy from a buyer to a seller.

Thanks-

Return to Top
#1938241 - 07/07/14 08:36 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Click here

Further guidance on the assignment of a flood policy in connection with the purchase of a property (GR, APP, RATE, PRP, and END Sections).

You'll have to some searching in the NFIP Flood Insurance Manual.

http://www.fema.gov/flood-insurance-manual

Return to Top
#1938293 - 07/07/14 10:41 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
The Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 repealed and revised that and some other things. A new owner can assume a current owners policy. A summary of the changes change be found at
http://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/93074

Return to Top
#2028688 - 07/21/15 10:01 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
We received a "Policy Assumption Request Form" signed by the seller and the purchaser. Is this form sufficient evidence of a policy transfer to close a loan?

There is a statement on this form "coverage is not bound or in effect prior to underwriting review, receipt of all required documentation and premium submission" -

does this mean that coverage is not in place when the policy assumption is signed? There is no premium, everything in the current policy will remain the same.

Can we accept this form?

thanks,

Return to Top
#2028691 - 07/21/15 10:17 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
From the NFIP Insurance Manual, so I would say yes.

E. Assignment

A building owner’s flood insurance building policy may be assigned to a purchaser of the insured building with the written consent of the seller. The seller must sign the assignment endorsement on or before the closing date.

However, I would probably request a copy of the signed General Change Endorsement that the insurance agent is submitting to NFIP.

Return to Top
#2028699 - 07/21/15 10:37 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
banker-12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Thank You

Return to Top
#2080029 - 05/24/16 04:03 PM Re: Can you transfer a flood policy? Fun times...
Tryin2Comply Offline
The insurance company is saying there is a 7 day waiting period before it can be transferred into the buyer's name. Is it okay if we close before the end of the 7 day waiting period. Does the flood insurance have to be in the name of the seller prior to closing?

Return to Top