Learn More - Click Here!

Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
Thread Options
#1922608 - 05/13/14 02:58 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
We eat more fat than carbs. Kids these days have it backwards.

Return to Top
#1922656 - 05/13/14 03:34 PM Re: Caring for our parents edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Really, BB1??? I didn't know that. Wonder why we're going to live longer than them.

When they become teenagers we wish to kill them. laugh

Well, there's that. But mostly, the current generation is less active, eats more carp and pays less attention to their health in general. Also, because they have been raised in a more sterile enviornment, they have a weaker immune system than we do. Combined with the over use of antibacterials and and antibiotics that have created stronger viruses and bacteria.
The CDC and WHO have both suggested that they wont last as long as the Baby Boomers.
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 05/13/14 03:35 PM.

Return to Top
#1922660 - 05/13/14 03:36 PM Re: Caring for our parents Bankbb1, PITA
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Well the WHO started this mess with the "Pinball Wizard" laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1922685 - 05/13/14 04:05 PM Re: Caring for our parents edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Well the WHO started this mess with the "Pinball Wizard" laugh

And the infamous "bean scene"!

Return to Top
#1922693 - 05/13/14 04:17 PM Re: Caring for our parents Bankbb1, PITA
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Really, BB1??? I didn't know that. Wonder why we're going to live longer than them.

When they become teenagers we wish to kill them. laugh

Well, there's that. But mostly, the current generation is less active, eats more carp and pays less attention to their health in general. Also, because they have been raised in a more sterile enviornment, they have a weaker immune system than we do. Combined with the over use of antibacterials and and antibiotics that have created stronger viruses and bacteria.
The CDC and WHO have both suggested that they wont last as long as the Baby Boomers.
WOW! And here I've been listening to my daughter tell me that the change in how food is grown and made is responsible for all the allergies and intolerances that afflict so many of her generation. Funny...you would think it would take it's toll on those of use who grew up eating the 'old' stuff. We must have cast iron constitutions!

Return to Top
#1922699 - 05/13/14 04:25 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
What did not kill us made us stronger.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1922721 - 05/13/14 05:00 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Actually a pretty true statement.

Return to Top
#1922751 - 05/13/14 05:42 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
q(xa)=q(xno)P(xno)+q(x24)P(xo)

I think that speaks for itself.

Return to Top
#1922754 - 05/13/14 05:43 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Is that a GMO complex you sprouted there, BBB? confused

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1922763 - 05/13/14 05:54 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
My Dad is probably 125-150 pounds overweight, carrying it all between his waist and chest. Already had triple bypass, entry stages of emphysema (sp?), can't walk 100 feet without having to stop and rest...when i was in town a couple of weeks back tried to talk to him about dropping a few pounds...he looked right at me and said "if i want your advice i'll ask for it." I said as his appointed executor of his estate i felt i had a right to discuss it with him, as i didn't want to be performing my duties any time soon. He said "shutup or i'll make your brother the executor." I told him i didn't care whom he appointed, he needed to lose weight. Did not end well, but ended as i expected it would. My stepmother thanked me for trying, but as she said "until he decides to do something, nothing anyone says will make him."

Return to Top
#1922767 - 05/13/14 06:08 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's not uncommon for older folk to adopt an irascible attitude about the few things they can still control. Diet is one of the last vestiges left after other manly pursuits fade away. If he's basically immobile, stepmom might be able to help by changing his diet. She doesn't have to rip the bandaid off all at once. Slow, steady changes and not replenishing stock of bad foods could go a long way to help him in spite of himself. Of course, she may decide it's just not worth the battle. If his health isn't motivating him, he may have already decided his fate.

Return to Top
#1922787 - 05/13/14 06:33 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
"until he decides to do something, nothing anyone says will make him."

My dad said the same thing about me when my mom caught me smoking at around 15 years old (only insert 'her' [for Ed's benefit])...I guess it applies no matter the age!

Return to Top
#1922866 - 05/13/14 08:33 PM Re: Caring for our parents RR Joker
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Is that a GMO complex you sprouted there, BBB? confused

Actually its the equation that they use to arrive at estimated life expectancy for any generation.

Or it may be the how to create a black hole that eats the entire universe. I always get the two confused.

Return to Top
#1940396 - 07/14/14 03:30 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Mom totalled her car this weekend. She's pretty bruised and sore, but will be ok thanks to the seatbelt and airbag. I think it might be time for her to stop driving, though. Right now I'm working on her not rushing into getting a rental car. When it comes to suggesting she not replace her car, it's going be a difficult discussion.

Return to Top
#1940400 - 07/14/14 03:41 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
frown

Glad she is okay, hmdagal.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1940406 - 07/14/14 03:52 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
^^^Me too! Hope she heals quickly.

As for stopping driving, been there...done that...mom even suggested that she renew her license 'just in case she'd need it'. Easier for us because she lives with me and I can take her where she needs to go. Problem is she waits till the last possible second and then gets upset because I can't leave work to take her asap. :sigh: I console myself with the fact that I'd rather hear her complain than not hear her ever again.

Return to Top
#1940498 - 07/14/14 05:46 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Apparently my father was telling my niece over the weekend that he doesn't think mom should still be driving - and she scares him. While I know this will happen sooner rather than later (mom is 89), it's going to be very difficult when the time comes.

Weird - my brother rode with her on Friday and I haven't heard a thing about that.

Return to Top
#1940507 - 07/14/14 05:55 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
89 and she's still driving???!!!! Does she still have good mobility, Skittles? One of the AARP ten reasons to quit driving that we relied on with my mom was her inability to move her feet/legs quickly enough on the pedals. This is a tough situation but sometimes it really does come down to life or death (hers or a passenger's or someone else on the road) and you have to step in and make her give it up. I'd be relying on Dad's opinion here.

Return to Top
#1940516 - 07/14/14 06:05 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Dad hasn't driven for several years now. I know that she avoided an accident several months ago when someone came into her lane. I have e-mailed my brother to ask him what he thought. I don't live up there but my brothers and sister do and no - it won't be pretty.

On another note - mom's sister-in-law is also 89 and still drives to vacation. She takes no medication for anything and her doctors are amazed at her health. She is the epitome of where we would all like to be at that age.

Return to Top
#1940522 - 07/14/14 06:12 PM Re: Caring for our parents Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
smile

Return to Top
#1940525 - 07/14/14 06:14 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Dealing with relatives' issues long distance is THE WORST! As long as you trust your brothers and sister, all should be handled well.

Return to Top
#1940533 - 07/14/14 06:23 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I do, and thanks Truff. My sister is the POA and I trust her the most.

Return to Top
#1940550 - 07/14/14 06:33 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I taught my grandma how to drive when she was 67during the summer after my freshman year at college. Besides our little hit and run incident, and the mishap at the DMV building practicing before her test, she got her license on her first try and did pretty well for awhile!

She was able to get around to the grocery story, church, liquor store and tavern on her own... a great boost for her independence. Thankfully, she gave up driving about four years ago on her own. Not that she was getting concerned about her own abilities, but she was getting afraid of the "idiot old men and the damn broads too proud to know any better!" laugh

Return to Top
#1940572 - 07/14/14 06:57 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Part of my concern is that in her mind the other driver was entirely at fault for hitting her. Mom was making a left turn and didn't yield to an oncoming car. Apparently the yellow light gave her the right of way confused

Return to Top
#1940584 - 07/14/14 07:16 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
My grandfather gave up driving finally when he discovered the liquor store made delivery runs. ( eek )

My inlaws are about to the point where we're going to have to have the No-Driving talk with them. We're probably going to have to get them into some kind of managed care before the end of the year, and hopefully that will be something that goes hand-in-hand.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett