BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#194042 - 05/25/04 08:59 PM Holy Cow!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Michelle Duggar is all smiles after delivering her 15th child, but she may be ready for more, her family says.

Mother and child were doing well, although Michelle, 37, was feeling some discomfort because the birth was her second by Caesarean section, said her mother-in-law, Mary Duggar.

``She's a trouper. She's just all smiles,'' Mary Duggar said.

Jackson Levi Duggar was born at 10:52 a.m. Sunday, weighing 7 pounds 8 ounces and measuring 20 inches.

``She was wanting to do it naturally,'' Mary Duggar said. But the delivery was by C-section because one of Jackson's shoulders was presenting first.

``I call him Jumping Jack because he would go in a circle,'' she said.

The baby's father, former state legislator Jim Bob Duggar, sounded a bit tired but happy after returning home Monday. He said his wife and new son were doing fine. He said he leaves the decision up to Michelle on whether to have more children.

``I have always left it up to Michelle because she's actually the one that carries them and does all the labor,'' he said. ``But we both love children. Even yesterday, she said she would like to have some more.''

Michelle probably will be in Washington Regional Medical Center for three or four days, said her mother-in-law, who is taking care of the 14 other children.

Michelle, who home schools her children and is helping to build the family's new home in Tontitown from the ground up, started having her babies when she was 21, four years after she and Jim Bob married. Her 38-year-old husband is a real estate businessman.

Their children include two sets of twins, and the parents have stuck to the letter ``J'' for their names. There is Joshua, 16; Jana and John-David, 14; Jill, 13; Jessa, 11; Jinger, 10; Joseph, 9; Josiah, 7; Joy-Anna, 6; Jeremiah and Jedidiah, 5; Jason, 4; James, 2; and Justin, 1.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#194043 - 05/25/04 09:06 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I saw that this morning.. What kind of name is Jigger?

Return to Top
#194044 - 05/25/04 09:13 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

What kind of name is Jigger?

J-I-N-G-E-R! (Like Ginger) Not a unit of measure for booze. Although I would think that if anybody needs to drink....

Return to Top
#194045 - 05/25/04 09:44 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Geez...talk about a herd of kids. That's alot. Wonder how they drive them around??? In a bus???

Return to Top
#194046 - 05/25/04 09:58 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
I went to school with a guy who was the 12th of 16 kids. All were singles - no twins. Ten boys, 6 girls. Four kids' bedrooms: 5 boys in one room and 4 in the other and 3 girls to a room.(The oldest boy had moved out) I remember the stacked bins at the front door - everyone had to put their shoes and school books in them, and a personal coat hook for everyone on the wall! When the kids got older and could drive - there were so many cars, it always looked like there was a party at their house! (They all worked to pay for their own cars)

Still, I don't know how people can afford that many!

Return to Top
#194047 - 05/25/04 10:18 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
And she home-schools them all! Without the benefit of a superintendent, principal, business manager, curriculum coordinator . . .

Return to Top
#194048 - 05/25/04 10:41 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

And she home-schools them all! Without the benefit of a superintendent, principal, business manager, curriculum coordinator . . .

===============================================
probably can't afford to dress and shoe them if she didn't home school them!

Return to Top
#194049 - 05/26/04 12:29 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
In the city where I once lived, there was a family with 15 children. Once, they forgot one while at the video store. The police finally tracked down the parents by going through the day's rental records and calling every renter until they found them. Another time, they forgot and left one in the family van in front of their house all day on a hot day. It died. I think there is a limit on how many children parents can care for. Based on my observations, one child is too many for some people to take care of. Too many unwanted children are abused and killed, and our society just sort of ignores it. A local newspaper recently printed a story about abused animals. On the same page was a story about a 3-year old child beaten to death by her mother. The article on animal abuse received an outpouring of outrage and sympathy. The article on the death of the child received no response.

Sorry for the rant, but I think some in our society need to change their priorities.
Last edited by Retread; 05/26/04 12:30 PM.

Return to Top
#194050 - 05/26/04 01:30 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

What kind of name is Jigger?

J-I-N-G-E-R! (Like Ginger) Not a unit of measure for booze. Although I would think that if anybody needs to drink....

Thanks Omega lol I misread that! Perhaps I needed drink just thinking about that many kids in one home!

Return to Top
#194051 - 05/26/04 02:25 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Large families are great, but you don't see a lot of them these days. I came from a family of 15, 12boys and 3 girls. But it was a farming family and dad needed the help back then I guess. My twin and I were the last, and what makes it a little different is that dad was 78 years old when we were born. I think my mother (age 42 then), finally said enough is enough.

Return to Top
#194052 - 05/26/04 02:26 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We have a family locally with 17 children and they all resembled each other (at least in school). One of my co-workers is the youngest of 11. This just boggles my mind.

Return to Top
#194053 - 05/26/04 02:28 PM Re: Holy Cow!
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
"Large families are great, but you don't see a lot of them these days. I came from a family of 15, 12boys and 3 girls. But it was a farming family and dad needed the help back then I guess. My twin and I were the last, and what makes it a little different is that dad was 78 years old when we were born. I think my mother (age 42 then), finally said enough is enough."

that was my post, I forgot to sign in.

Return to Top
#194054 - 05/26/04 02:52 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Geez...talk about a herd of kids.

That reminds me of a segment on Saturday Night Live years ago when they were interviewing a mother with lots of children. They asked her if she practiced birth control. Her response was that she practiced every night, but could never get it right.

Return to Top
#194055 - 05/26/04 03:41 PM Re: Holy Cow!
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

Quote:

===============================================
probably can't afford to dress and shoe them if she didn't home school them!

Homeschooling can be a lot more expensive than going to public school. In public school, there are numerous fees, but most everything else is provided. For homeschooling, the parent has to provide EVERYTHING unless you live in a state where the school system provides them. We homeschool and get zero assistance from the state. It can be a LOT more expensive to homeschool.

If the cost you mention is to be with the current fad for clothes, shoes, cars, etc., that's the parents choice to do or not to do and has nothing to do with getting an education.

Return to Top
#194056 - 05/26/04 07:16 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
RANT WARNING!!

I just have to put my 2 cents in here. What I find insane is the fact that the powers that be, whomever they are, restrict the number of children allowed in a classroom, they restrict the number of children in a licensed day care (my son in at an in home day care and she can't have more than 8 kids in the home at any time, and only 6 if more than one is under the age of 2) however, as parents they think a person can have as many as they want!! The rules imposed on the day care, should be imposed on families too. A person can NOT no matter how good they are watch that many children and be responsible for their activities! We are responsible for those kids until they are 18 years old, who could take GOOD care of that many? They would not get the attention they require in their tender young years! I find it just insane!! Rant over.

Return to Top
#194057 - 05/26/04 07:27 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I am not saying your rant isn't correct, but I think in the larger families, the older children look after the younger ones to some extent. Also, some of the daily "chores" can be split among a larger number. I am the baby by 15 years in our family, but I would have loved to have had some help when it came to helping clean the house. These families need to be very organized and if the parents are willing, the setup might work. What would upset me is if they are truly not good parents and still continue to have kids...whether they have 1 or 15. Personally I wouldn't want to have that many, but that is our decision. There are 5 kids in my husband's family and we comment all the time that we don't know how his Mom did it, they were all close in age. Just my 2 cents.

Return to Top
#194058 - 05/26/04 07:38 PM Re: Holy Cow!
inaneusername Offline
New Poster
We heard the story on the radio this morning. They said so and so from somewhere usa just had her fifteenth baby. My (only)four year old said "She can't even hold 15 babies". I said " my thoughts exactly" I have always felt that if you are stupid enough, do it. I prefer to remain sane and raise an only child. to each his own...

Return to Top
#194059 - 05/26/04 07:42 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

RANT WARNING!!

I just have to put my 2 cents in here. What I find insane is the fact that the powers that be, whomever they are, restrict the number of children allowed in a classroom, they restrict the number of children in a licensed day care (my son in at an in home day care and she can't have more than 8 kids in the home at any time, and only 6 if more than one is under the age of 2) however, as parents they think a person can have as many as they want!! The rules imposed on the day care, should be imposed on families too. A person can NOT no matter how good they are watch that many children and be responsible for their activities! We are responsible for those kids until they are 18 years old, who could take GOOD care of that many? They would not get the attention they require in their tender young years! I find it just insane!! Rant over.

After what number of children would you commence the forced sterilization?

Return to Top
#194060 - 05/26/04 09:30 PM Re: Holy Cow!
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
Quote:

I find it just insane!!

Hey Beagle, I'm glad my folks didn't think that way. I would certainly not be here, nor most of my 14 siblings. But my parents did space it out rather well, dad had 4 by his first marriage, four by his second and he was 60 when he married my mom, she was 23. And they had 7 kids. Heck, we all made it, but no such thing as day care back then. My oldest brother was 54 when my twin and I were born, so most of the siblings had grown up and gone from home then.

Return to Top
#194061 - 05/26/04 09:52 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Oh my gosh...PapaChief...your family sounds like a movie of the week!!!

Did your father live long enough to see you all grow up?

Return to Top
#194062 - 05/26/04 11:06 PM Re: Holy Cow!
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
Oh my gosh...PapaChief...your family sounds like a movie of the week!!!

Did your father live long enough to see you all grow up?

Yes SnowQueen, he was 94 when he died, we were 16. HE was born in 1870, when Grant was in his first term. Now you can figure my age

Return to Top
#194063 - 05/26/04 11:21 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
56?

Return to Top
#194064 - 05/26/04 11:23 PM Re: Holy Cow!
PapaChief Offline
PapaChief
Downtown Many, Louisiana
Bingo! .......that used to be old , and just last week i
realized that is the age Lincoln was when he was shot.

Return to Top
#194065 - 05/26/04 11:38 PM Re: Holy Cow!
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Some talk show I was watching the other day brought up the census statistics of # of children families were having, broken down by race. I can't remember the numbers, but minority families are having on average many more babies than white families are. Very very soon (and it's already happened in California), there won't be any "majority" race - none that is 50% or more of the population.

"White people just aren't having babies," the moderator said.

Maybe this family is trying their darndest to change those statistics? All by themselves?

Return to Top
#194066 - 05/27/04 11:26 AM Re: Holy Cow!
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My grandfather was 56 when my father was born and dad was his first. My father was almost 40 when I was born and I was his first. My grandfather died at 96 1/2 and I was 10 months old. He was born in 1865.

My family doesn't have a lot of children, just most of them have them late. I had my son at 26, but my younger brother had his first child last year and he's 38.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2