Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1918014 - 04/28/14 02:41 PM Minor as signer on safe deposit box rental
silver shamrock Offline
silver shamrock
Kentucky
Our bank has been presented with a new safe deposit box rental request to include a father and his 9 year-old daughter as signers on the agreement. I know this is a matter that would be covered by state law, but I haven't found anything under the KRS that specifically addresses this type of situation. However, I did locate the following thread where John addressed the same question posed in the Massachusetts forum.

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1361693

My opinion is that the same answer John gave would be applicable under Ky. state law, since the signature of someone under age 18 would not be recognized as a binding contract. However, my research led me to a discovery that Ohio, for example, treats this issue much differently, so I wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything.

Return to Top
#1918127 - 04/28/14 05:57 PM Re: Minor as signer on safe deposit box rental silver shamrock
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Kentucky law creates an exception for minors and their capacity to contract on a deposit account, not for a safe deposit box lease. You simply would have no contract with the child.

It would be a foolish thing to agree to...

Return to Top
#1943442 - 07/21/14 04:38 PM Re: Minor as signer on safe deposit box rental silver shamrock
MiMi Offline
Gold Star
MiMi
Ken, what is the exception for minors and their capacity to contract on a deposit account? We have long standing customers that want to open joint account with 16 or 17 year old? Thanks

Return to Top

Moderator:  Jack Holzknecht