Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#194392 - 05/26/04 05:12 PM construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
We have a loan closing today where we will be paying an ouside appraiser to perform construction inspections (normally this is done by the bank's in-house appraiser). This is paid by the customer. According to 226.4(c)(7)(iv) we disclose the inspection fees as prepaid finance charge because the inspections are performed after closing.

However, in this case we will pay the fee to the 3rd party inspector, and will not charge the customer ---- is this considered a finance charge paid indirectly by the consumer? What does indirectly mean? Should it be disclosed as a ppfc POC by lender?

I'm confusing myself since normally we normally pass it on to the borrower.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#194393 - 05/26/04 05:24 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you (the bank) are paying the fees, without charging the borrower in any manner other than a slightly higher interest rate, they are disclosed as POC/L and not included in the APR calculaiton.

Return to Top
#194394 - 05/26/04 05:34 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
We can keep it out of the APR calculation, but do we still discose the fee as a POL prepaid finance charge on the TIL disclosure?

"Indirect" payment - it does not mean there's an assumption the lender is in some manner or other passing the cost to the borrower? Maybe I'm thinking of the mortgage broker fee rule.

Return to Top
#194395 - 05/26/04 05:50 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If this is a "construction only" loan not subject to RESPA's HUD settlement statement requirement, then you need not disclose the fee if you are paying it.

However, if these fees are built into the appraisal fee, they are disclosable as PPFCs IMO.

Return to Top
#194396 - 05/26/04 10:46 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
Quote:

However, if these fees are built into the appraisal fee, they are disclosable as PPFCs IMO.

Is there a supporting Reg. Z citation for this? Or, in reading the definition of a finance charge are you saying this could be considered "indirectly" charging the fee to the customer?

Return to Top
#194397 - 05/26/04 10:48 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
And yes, this is a construction-only loan, not subject to RESPA.

Return to Top
#194398 - 05/27/04 01:22 AM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Short answer yes. The "normal" appraisal fee is exempt in real estate transactions. Therefore, if your normal appraisal fee for this type transaction is $300, but you built in 4 $75 inspection fees and charged $600 for the appraisal, you have directly charged the customer the $300 inspection fees.

If anyone disagrees with this please chime in.

Return to Top
#194399 - 05/27/04 03:24 PM Re: construction inspection fees paid outside closing
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
Gotcha. I appreciate your help.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z