Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1944918 - 07/23/14 09:19 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: buggs

I saw the results of a poll from Gallup that few Americans support hiring discrimination against people who smoke or are obese. But I suspect that many of those same people support discrimination against people because of sexual orientation or citizenship status....

Where do we draw the line?

At the border?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1944922 - 07/23/14 09:20 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Why stop at the border? Why not physical appearance or surname? That's what many people seem to do anyway.
Last edited by buggs; 07/23/14 09:20 PM. Reason: correction
Return to Top
#1944925 - 07/23/14 09:22 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Who?

Citizenship, or at least the governmental approval to work in a country, one would think, is a valid reason not to hire someone.

Not sure what your definition of hiring discrimination is, however.

Return to Top
#1944942 - 07/23/14 09:48 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Said in a gruff voice "I do not need poor doors on my buildings..... because I'm Bat Man!!!"

Return to Top
#1944955 - 07/23/14 10:41 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC MB Guy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Who? Citizenship, or at least the governmental approval to work in a country, one would think, is a valid reason not to hire someone. Not sure what your definition of hiring discrimination is, however.

Who? Lots of people who operate outside your bubble. I don't think that US citizenship should be a litmus test for *all* government related employment. Obviously there are security reasons why non-citizens should be disqualified.

I don't think our government should have much say in who we exclude for employment unless it's to enforce specifically enacted laws and regulations.

Return to Top
#1944961 - 07/24/14 03:13 AM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC buggs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club

To me the idea of a "poor door" in the American experience is revolting. However, it sometimes seems most Americans don't understand how discrimination hurts (and I'm not talking about just racial discrimination).
THAT's what I thought too.

Not sure how this went from here to an employment discussion tho. imo, I think that America should take care of Americans first. That includes giving them first crack at available jobs in both the government and private sectors.

Return to Top
#1944971 - 07/24/14 12:28 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Adds: And colleges and scholarships, too.

Return to Top
#1945033 - 07/24/14 01:55 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Kathleen O. Blanchard
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
The poor should just go live in New Jersey until they can properly afford Manhattan.

exaclty laugh

NJ has a tremendous shortage in affordable housing.

True. But for people who have tried to live in and afford NYC, even Bergen County looks like "affordable housing". crazy

Return to Top
#1945041 - 07/24/14 02:01 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Sinatra Fan
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
::knock knock::

Return to Top
#1945043 - 07/24/14 02:01 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Miscuit
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Come on in. I have your tequila ready for you. whistle

Return to Top
#1945045 - 07/24/14 02:03 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Sinatra Fan
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
grin

Return to Top
#1945085 - 07/24/14 02:33 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Who? Citizenship, or at least the governmental approval to work in a country, one would think, is a valid reason not to hire someone. Not sure what your definition of hiring discrimination is, however.

Who? Lots of people who operate outside your bubble. I don't think that US citizenship should be a litmus test for *all* government related employment. Obviously there are security reasons why non-citizens should be disqualified.

I don't think our government should have much say in who we exclude for employment unless it's to enforce specifically enacted laws and regulations.

Are there not already laws that state that illegal immigrants without the proper documents are not allowed to work in the US?

http://immigration.lawyers.com/immigration/legal-rights-of-illegal-immigrants.html

Quote:
No Right to Work
It's against federal law for an employer to hire an undocumented immigrant - someone whose doesn't have a green card, visa, or naturalization documents. These individuals are "undocumented workers." Employers are responsible for taking measures to make sure they don't hire undocumented workers. However, they sometimes hire them unknowingly. Once you're hired, you have certain rights.

Return to Top
#1945086 - 07/24/14 02:35 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

Are there not already laws that state that illegal immigrants without the proper documents are not allowed to work in the US?

http://immigration.lawyers.com/immigration/legal-rights-of-illegal-immigrants.html

Quote:
No Right to Work
It's against federal law for an employer to hire an undocumented immigrant - someone whose doesn't have a green card, visa, or naturalization documents. These individuals are "undocumented workers." Employers are responsible for taking measures to make sure they don't hire undocumented workers. However, they sometimes hire them unknowingly. Once you're hired, you have certain rights.

One of those pesky laws that it had been determined that does not need to be followed or enforced.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1945112 - 07/24/14 02:49 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Rent controls, price controls - these have all been tried and failed.

Return to Top
#1945117 - 07/24/14 02:54 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
MB,
And that brings us back around to buggs post regarding Lord Grantham. Yes, the home he dwells in is fictional. But stay with me here. I gave it a lot of thought last night with regard to Truffie’s post.

At Grantham House, the “poor door” is actually an employee door. Those that enter through it are given wages and room and board for the work that they do. The “owners” of the house also see to it that 100s of jobs are created throughout Downton, Yorkshire. From the tenant farmer who resides on the land in exchange for farming food for the house, I imagine he also sells food in the local village. To the doctors who buy food for their cooks to prepare, and who employ nurses, etc for those in the village. From the staff that lives in the house, to the local bars or eateries or markets where they can purchase food or drink with wages earned in the house. That house fuels an economy for all those that live around it, beginning with those hardworking, wage earners that enter through the “poor door.”

Now, you look at present day. The author tried to classify this as a class system. But I don’t think it is as the author portrays it. You have one apartment building with 2 entrances, to my understanding. Entrance one also allows you access to additional amenities that can be paid for, like a pool, or an exercise facility. If you cannot afford the additional amenities, please use the entrance that bypasses them. You get what you pay for. If you would like to be able to pay for more, please better yourself. Get a better job. Get an education. Do it for yourself. Or marry for money (that seems to work on the show buggs was talking about too)! laugh

Return to Top
#1945132 - 07/24/14 03:02 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
he author tried to classify this as a class system. But I don’t think it is as the author portrays it.

But then the media failed and did not force their agenda on you.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1945143 - 07/24/14 03:05 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC QCL
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: QCL
Now, you look at present day. The author tried to classify this as a class system. But I don’t think it is as the author portrays it. You have one apartment building with 2 entrances, to my understanding. Entrance one also allows you access to additional amenities that can be paid for, like a pool, or an exercise facility. If you cannot afford the additional amenities, please use the entrance that bypasses them. You get what you pay for.

Is this not similar to 1st class on a plane? Is the curtain discriminatory? In the spirit of fairness and inclusion, should we tear that curtain down?

I've also been to events where I've paid extra to get a VIP badge that allows access to areas where folks who paid for a normal ticket aren't allowed. Does this make me a bad person? Have I unwittingly engaged in class warfare? shocked

Return to Top
#1945147 - 07/24/14 03:09 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Bobby Boucher
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Is this not similar to 1st class on a plane? Is the curtain discriminatory? In the spirit of fairness and inclusion, should we tear that curtain down?

I've also been to events where I've paid extra to get a VIP badge that allows access to areas where folks who paid for a normal ticket aren't allowed. Does this make me a bad person? Have I unwittingly engaged in class warfare? shocked

yes
no
no
no
maybe

whistle

Return to Top
#1945150 - 07/24/14 03:10 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'm voting:

yes
no
no
yes
maybe

smile

Return to Top
#1945151 - 07/24/14 03:11 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC raitchjay
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
laugh !!

Return to Top
#1945155 - 07/24/14 03:13 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Bobby Boucher
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Now, you look at present day. The author tried to classify this as a class system. But I don’t think it is as the author portrays it. You have one apartment building with 2 entrances, to my understanding. Entrance one also allows you access to additional amenities that can be paid for, like a pool, or an exercise facility. If you cannot afford the additional amenities, please use the entrance that bypasses them. You get what you pay for.

If you flu Jetblue they have a no class policy laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1945159 - 07/24/14 03:14 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
The VIP Badge should include a hefty tax to subsidize badges for those who buy cheaper tickets. wink

Or better yet, "We don't need no stinking badges."* smirk

*As I do not wish to be accused of plagiarism, I am not claiming these to be my words.

Return to Top
#1945163 - 07/24/14 03:15 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC edAudit
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

If you flu Jetblue they have a no class policy laugh

Bobby tried that once and they said "sir, even we have SOME standards".

shocked laugh
Last edited by raitchjay; 07/24/14 03:16 PM.

Return to Top
#1945165 - 07/24/14 03:16 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Viva la revolucion!!!

Return to Top
#1945168 - 07/24/14 03:17 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC raitchjay
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher