Thread Options
#1945178 - 07/24/14 03:23 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Bobby Boucher
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Originally Posted By: QCL
Now, you look at present day. The author tried to classify this as a class system. But I don’t think it is as the author portrays it. You have one apartment building with 2 entrances, to my understanding. Entrance one also allows you access to additional amenities that can be paid for, like a pool, or an exercise facility. If you cannot afford the additional amenities, please use the entrance that bypasses them. You get what you pay for.

Is this not similar to 1st class on a plane? Is the curtain discriminatory? In the spirit of fairness and inclusion, should we tear that curtain down?

I've also been to events where I've paid extra to get a VIP badge that allows access to areas where folks who paid for a normal ticket aren't allowed. Does this make me a bad person? Have I unwittingly engaged in class warfare? shocked

Great points, Bobby. Or should I say, great points posed as questions.

There is an article this morning about a man boarding SouthWest that paid for A-boarding status for himself but not for his kids (6 and 9 year olds). If your children are older than 4 this is required. And he got in an argument with a woman at the gate who told him what the proper procedures are. So he tweeted about it and was kicked off the plane until he removed the tweet. And now he's making a big deal out it it. But for what? I pay $25 for my whole family so we can board together without scamming the system and cutting ahead of people who played by the rules. Just another person in this "Me, me, me, me...I want something for nothing, but the guy next to me should have to pay for it" society. Which, to me is the same as this article. Why should they get all the amenities for free? Because that seemed to be the real issue. The door was just the thing that got everyone's attention.
Last edited by QCL; 07/24/14 03:24 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1945192 - 07/24/14 03:39 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thank you all for the insight and opinions.
The perspective you put on this from Lord Grantham to Jet Blue have helped me take a clearer look at the situation.
Consider the mad removed from the title.
Using a 'poor door' is no different than sitting in coach.
I do think that calling it a 'poor door' is demeaning and tacky but the world is generally not as kind and proper a place as it was in Lord Grantham's day.

Return to Top
#1945202 - 07/24/14 03:43 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Brianna Ehley
Reporter
The Fiscal Times
https://twitter.com/Briannaehley

A journalist based in Washington, D.C., Brianna Ehley covers health care, tax and economic policy, government agencies and Congress for The Fiscal Times. She has previously covered Illinois state government for The St. Louis Post-Dispatch and breaking news for Reuters.

If your beat is DC, IL and St Louis what does she know about NYC?

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3