Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1944573 - 07/23/14 03:56 PM 'Poor doors' in NYC
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
**a political party is mentioned in passing in this article but this is not a political topic**

From the article titled Front Doors are for the Rich comes this gem:

Quote:
David Von Spreckelsen, senior vice president at Toll Brothers (TOL +1.35%), another company that specializes in luxury residencies (complete with poor doors), told The Real Deal, "No one ever said the goal was full integration of these populations."

He added, "It's unfair to expect very high-income homeowners who paid a fortune to live in their building to have to be in the same boat as low-income renters, who are very fortunate to live in a new building in a great neighborhood."

Poor doors? Really? I'm stunned that this concept exists! And all so the developer can qualify for government funding? Talk about a loophole in the system.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1944582 - 07/23/14 04:06 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
not saying that I support it (I would need to use the poor door) but the differences in the doors are to control access to other services provided by the building such as spas and gyms doorman services.

There is a difference when you pay a few hundred dollars a month for a rent controlled apartment vs tens of thousands of dollars a month for an apartment in NYC.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944588 - 07/23/14 04:12 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Only in NY! In Houston, we have single room occupancy apartments and everyone comes in the front door! Like God, Houston is no respecter of person!

Return to Top
#1944594 - 07/23/14 04:16 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC edAudit
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
not saying that I support it (I would need to use the poor door) but the differences in the doors are to control access to other services provided by the building such as spas and gyms doorman services.

Aren't those controlled by access keys of some sort?
Or couldn't it be coded into the key to a rich person's unit?
Why should poor people have to enter from a different door at street level, often from an alley yet?

Return to Top
#1944597 - 07/23/14 04:20 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
The poor should just go live in New Jersey until they can properly afford Manhattan.

Return to Top
#1944599 - 07/23/14 04:24 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

Why should poor people have to enter from a different door at street level, often from an alley yet?

If I am paying $20,000 a month why should I be inconvenienced.

Why should my doorman cater to the $500 a month tenant.

If they do not like the poor door they can rent elsewhere at $3,000 a month.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944600 - 07/23/14 04:25 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
The poor should just go live in New Jersey until they can properly afford Manhattan.

exaclty laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944603 - 07/23/14 04:28 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Send the poor to Detroit, they need to increase the population, plus there are tons of empty house they could live in.

Return to Top
#1944604 - 07/23/14 04:29 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC edAudit
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

If I am paying $20,000 a month why should I be inconvenienced.

Why should my doorman cater to the $500 a month tenant.

If they do not like the poor door they can rent elsewhere at $3,000 a month.

Why should the poor be inconvenienced just so the developer can get government money for the building? I'm assuming the government money has some positive effect on the cost to the rich people too. Why should the persons who are NEEDED by the developer be inconvenienced, to use your word?

Return to Top
#1944608 - 07/23/14 04:32 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC edAudit
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

exaclty laugh

NJ has a tremendous shortage in affordable housing.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1944610 - 07/23/14 04:34 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
The 'poor' are not being inconvenienced. They are being given a benefit by having access to a nice new residence at a reduced rate.

Return to Top
#1944611 - 07/23/14 04:38 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
You have never had to deal with NYC and the nutjob regulations to put up a property in the first place.

To build on the property the developer has to guarantee that they will rent a % of apartments at a loss. The amount of "government money" is in part to subsides these loss apartment and will continue to loose more money than the "government money" that was put in. In paragraph because it is not the governments money but the taxpayers.

Do you believe that the developers would like to rent a loss when they can clearly make mega money on the "poor door" apartments if they were to rent them on the open market.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944621 - 07/23/14 04:50 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Nope, I've never had to deal with NYC and that's exactly why I started this topic. The article I linked seemed minimally spun but then, I have no basis in facts.

The idea of segregating people to different entrances struck me right between the eyes. So I came here to learn from those who know more on this topic but don't have to worry about spin and have anonymity too boot.

We have subsidized apartment complexes here in my part of the Midwest. No fancy buildings with rich and poor doors. And I moved out of Chicago years ago so I don't know if they have similar buildings to NYC or not.

Return to Top
#1944623 - 07/23/14 04:53 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
This appears to be a rarity even in NY but the media being the media has decided that it is an issue other than the thousands of real issues in NYC that do not get reported and blown out of per potion.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944624 - 07/23/14 04:54 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Bruce Wayne wouldn't have allowed a poor door in any of his buildings!

Return to Top
#1944628 - 07/23/14 04:56 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I used to rent in the burbs of Chicago. I paid an amenity fee for the pools and the weight room as part of my rental agreement.

I think it may bother me if I found out that others received a reduced rent compared to what I paid and they also they enjoyed all the same benefits of the community for free.

In this case, people that make $50K or less a year are getting the benefit of being able to raise their family outside of the bad neighborhoods, they get a nice place to live for cheap, and their kids have an opportunity to go to better schools, because of the location of the buildings. If they want to use the amenities (and I assume that they are tied into that main entrance) then perhaps they should pay full price.

Return to Top
#1944631 - 07/23/14 05:00 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Bruce was a fictional character Played in the (movies by subpar actors) who was based in Gotham city. As per wiki was not a landlord.

Wayne Enterprises (formerly WayneCorp, after Wayne-Powers, eventually Wayne Incorporated) is a fictional company in the DC Universe, owned by Bruce Wayne and run by his business manager, Lucius Fox. It was founded by merchant ancestors of the Wayne family in the 17th century as a merchant house, although the company changed when the heir of Judge Solomon Wayne, Alan, utilized his father's wealth and established the Wayne Shipping company and also the Wayne Chemical company in the city. Thus it was officially established in the 19th century. By the beginning of the 21st century Wayne Enterprises reached a new annual income average of over $98.5 billion. In addition to providing an income for Wayne, the various activities of the organization help facilitate his Batman activities. According to Forbes 25 largest fictional companies it had an estimated sales of $31.3 billion, ranking it at number 11 and the largest in the DC Universe.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Enterprises

Do we even know if Alfred had to use the servants entrance at the Wayne mansion?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944724 - 07/23/14 06:22 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Bruce Wayne doesn't attribute properly!

Return to Top
#1944870 - 07/23/14 08:29 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Income inequality has dominated Democrats' political rhetoric across the country, with politicians in Washington, D.C., and on the campaign trail introducing plans to narrow the growing gulf between the rich and the poor

such a silly opening line...since politicians in DC give themselves annual increases far and above the inflation rate...and make on average more than 90% of the american public...if they really were concerned with income inequality, they'd take some voluntary pay cuts back to minimum wage.

As far as the building having separate entrances, if i were able to benefit from living in a luxury home for pennies on the dollar, i wouldn't care if i had to climb through a window to get there (unless, of course, my apartment was on the 23rd floor...that would be a tough window to climb into)

Return to Top
#1944890 - 07/23/14 08:54 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Lord Grantham would certainly be in favor of a poor door. (This is not a reference to British politics.)
Last edited by buggs; 07/23/14 08:55 PM.
Return to Top
#1944894 - 07/23/14 09:00 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Yes, the patriarch of the Crawley House most certainly would.

Return to Top
#1944896 - 07/23/14 09:03 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC QCL
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: QCL
Yes, the patriarch of the Crawley House most certainly would.

Now, this is someone's cue to tell us Lord Grantham is a fictional character. (Hint, hint.)

Return to Top
#1944901 - 07/23/14 09:05 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
True, Buggs. But I do see similarities from the class system portrayed on the show and to how the article was written.

Return to Top
#1944902 - 07/23/14 09:06 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
most of the information posted in anonymous forums is fictional, or at leasta far stretch, why should this be any less

Return to Top
#1944913 - 07/23/14 09:15 PM Re: 'Poor doors' in NYC QCL
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: QCL
True, Buggs. But I do see similarities from the class system portrayed on the show and to how the article was written.

You might be able to see it, but not everyone does. To me the idea of a "poor door" in the American experience is revolting. However, it sometimes seems most Americans don't understand how discrimination hurts (and I'm not talking about just racial discrimination).

I saw the results of a poll from Gallup that few Americans support hiring discrimination against people who smoke or are obese. But I suspect that many of those same people support discrimination against people because of sexual orientation or citizenship status.

The approach to discrimination by many people is that it's OK as long as it's not against me.

Where do we draw the line?
Last edited by buggs; 07/23/14 09:17 PM. Reason: Add question to end.
Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3