Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1944467 - 07/23/14 02:21 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
We have a local forest preserve that my husband and I run in. The trees are so think that it throws off our time, distance. But it's become a game for us. The whose running app is better game smile

Return to Top
#1944471 - 07/23/14 02:28 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I used Trackometer when I was on vacation in Key West. I had mapped out the routes and distances before the trip, so I knew how far I'd be running. It was off on the distance somewhat, but the time was way off, unless the latitude somehow turned me into a Kenyan. How can an app on a phone not be able to keep time?

Return to Top
#1944477 - 07/23/14 02:35 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I've had very good luck with Runkeeper, for the most part. There are a few areas of town where the signal seems to go wonky, but generally it's very reliable. On runs over 4-5 miles when it's warmer out, my phone does get rather hot, but it's doing that along with streaming music, so I'm working it a little harder than I should.

Per the app, I've logged 249 activities and have used it since July of 2012. I don't do manual entries of any treadmill runs, so a lot of the winter goes unrecorded, but that doesn't bother me.

Return to Top
#1944570 - 07/23/14 03:53 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: QCL
I have created a monster too Jen.
Hubby just sent me a screen shot of his RunKeeper app. He dropped Natalie off at volleyball camp, left his truck there and then ran to the gym, forgot to end his run, lifted, then ran back to his truck. Then he looked at his app on his phone. He was frustrated that his time wasn't right laugh laugh laugh This is my doing. smile

Glad you are passing on the madness!

I cannot stop at .98 no matter what, but .01 or anything over my distance for the day is ok. (unless I'm hurt...I've learned to listen and not run when in pain.) I also find that there is a fine line between waiting for your watch to locate a satellite and looking like a complete idiot. I may or may not have yelled "Its up THERE! once."

Return to Top
#1944636 - 07/23/14 05:09 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I yell at the clouds to move. It's all good. laugh

Return to Top
#1944641 - 07/23/14 05:13 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Matt_B
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
I've had very good luck with Runkeeper, for the most part.
When I run outside I use RunKeeper, and it's done a great job of tracking me. Once I turned it on before I remembered I needed to turn the horses out before going on my run. My 'track' for that day included a tiny little loop at the beginning where it marked me walking around the barn. smile

Return to Top
#1944659 - 07/23/14 05:28 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
What ^^^ said. Unfortunately, I have to 'back track' a lot...poor runkeeper tries it's best with it's color-coded overlapping to 'track' all of it. crazy

Having said that...back tracking makes running a chore and not particularly fun...I've more recently taken my adventures back to the rivers around here.

ETA: And I think I lied...I think the app I've used is RunDouble. crazy
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/23/14 05:29 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1944759 - 07/23/14 06:52 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
I don't like that it uses my warmup pace when averaging out my pace for the run. I wish it wouldn't track the 5 minute warmup at all, but oh well.

Return to Top
#1944770 - 07/23/14 06:55 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Start it with your warm up. Stop after your warm up, end the work out. Start a new workout at the "fast" pace.

Problem solved...please send $99.95

Return to Top
#1944793 - 07/23/14 07:21 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Nope, no thanks. Too much work! That would require me stopping! laugh

Return to Top
#1944794 - 07/23/14 07:21 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Or resetting the phone on the run?

Return to Top
#1944802 - 07/23/14 07:29 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? RR Jen
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Start it with your warm up. Stop after your warm up, end the work out. Start a new workout at the "fast" pace.

Plus a convenience fee of $14.99. smile

Return to Top
#1944805 - 07/23/14 07:35 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Why not skip the warmup part and just hit start on the run?

Return to Top
#1944807 - 07/23/14 07:36 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? #12
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: #12

Tax?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1944825 - 07/23/14 07:54 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Why not skip the warmup part and just hit start on the run?

That would also require taking the phone out to hit "start".

Have I mentioned I love my Garmin?

Return to Top
#1944828 - 07/23/14 07:58 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Nah, I could do all that through my armband, but I prefer the automation of it. Stopping to reset it would require 30-45 seconds of monkeying with it. Just going out for 5, then hitting start after would be enough time for my phone to lock up and then I'd have to monkey with it to get it to the unlock screen (home button isn't easily pressed through my case) and get the code typed in upside-down, etc. which can be tough when it's sunny out and hard to see the screen. It's much easier to just deal with the seamless annoyances of letting it factor into my time/speed!

Return to Top
#1944845 - 07/23/14 08:18 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Ya'll people complain way too much! Is it a quirk or something?

Return to Top
#1944879 - 07/23/14 08:43 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Ha!

Return to Top
#1944929 - 07/23/14 09:24 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? edAudit
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Originally Posted By: #12

Tax?

Only in the states of IA, CO, NY, VT, UT, HI

Return to Top
#1945701 - 07/25/14 01:34 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
So last night I ran while my daughter was at her play rehearsal. I finished my run and looked down at my phone - 3.87 miles!! So I ran literally in circles and finished with 3.9. Now I wish I would have just ran the .13 needed to make it an even 4. laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1947247 - 07/30/14 02:55 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
OK, for what its worth, I have been testing watches for Red Coyote (local running shop) over the last two weeks and I would have to say that Garmin is my favorite.
All of the Garmins are pretty intuitive and picked up the satellite feed the fastest (usually). I'd pick the 620 with HM.
The Suunto might be a good pick for a true techno freak because you can download all kinds of carp that I will never use. But its a littel slower and its not nearly as intuitive.
The Nike was a sharp looking watch, but it was very iffy on receeption and from what I undrstand nike is not going to continue the line since Tom Tom (Thats who Nike went through to have the watch made) has developed its own line of watches.

Return to Top
#1947491 - 07/30/14 07:35 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
So, what do you recommend for a watch-killer like me? Are there any that work on movement rather than the dreaded battery?

Return to Top
#1947524 - 07/30/14 07:59 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? RR Joker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
if I had one, it would die.........unless I wore it on my remote hand

Return to Top
#1947544 - 07/30/14 08:15 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
since Matt s recommendation I installed Runkeeper. I actually walk further to work than I thought. It would be better if somehow it could start while inside the train stations.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1947574 - 07/30/14 08:53 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Looks like I'm going to have to run in the rain tonight to reach my mileage goal for the month. frown cry Oh well....at least I won't sweat to death!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett