Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1948441 - 08/01/14 08:55 PM Customer refused to provide a Social Security #
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
A customer came into our bank today to open an account and refused to provide a social security number. We told him we would not be able to help him. He then pulls out this Notice to FI's and Account holders regarding the possession and use of Social Security number. The notice sites 31 CFR 103.28 and CFR l03.33 and CTR l03.34. He also says that if we do not open the account, we have to give him a valid reason. Has anyone come across this before?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1948444 - 08/01/14 09:04 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Sounds like you have a "Sovereign citizen" on your hands. A Google search will provide some insight into the group.

My advice...run, don't walk, away as fast as you can. As to the reason, there are not Fair Deposit laws so you don't have to have one other than "We have elected not to do business with you." Don't bother getting into a legal argument about USA PATRIOT Act or anything like that. You'll just give them what they want, a platform to air their grievances against the U.S. government.

Return to Top
#1948445 - 08/01/14 09:08 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Thank you

Return to Top
#1948446 - 08/01/14 09:08 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
If I recall from a while back, this is something generated by one of those 'tax freedom' groups. Despite what the 'notice' may say, you want to bank with us, you provide a valid identification number.

Return to Top
#1948447 - 08/01/14 09:10 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Appreciate the input. This helps.

Return to Top
#1948448 - 08/01/14 09:11 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Also, since I am now on the audit side of things, the "snarky" side of my personality would inform them that their citations are out of date and they should now be referencing 31 CFR Chapter X 1010.312!

A Google search using the title of the above mentioned pamphlet brought me to the tax protester's website...Based on what I found, I amend my previous advice...running may not be fast enough.
Last edited by BrianC; 08/01/14 09:19 PM.

Return to Top
#1948450 - 08/01/14 09:17 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
That just makes my day Brian. I am so fed up with people who want to create problems just because they can.

Return to Top
#1948457 - 08/01/14 09:20 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Glad I could help Sun Shine Lady!

Return to Top
#1948463 - 08/01/14 09:29 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Sun Shine Lady
That just makes my day Brian. I am so fed up with people who want to create problems just because they can.

But they can't; even if the nonsense of a cite was valid you still have the right to point them to the door based solely on the banks "no nut job policy". AKA banks CIP that states we need a SS#

You can also ask for a cite on where it states that you need a reason why they don't qualify smirk

Last edited by EdAudit; 08/01/14 09:31 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1948472 - 08/01/14 09:37 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I am so laughing at the "no nut job policy". Love it.

Return to Top
#1948548 - 08/03/14 11:35 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
This goes back a few years to my previous life, but one of these people called me complaining about a bank's refusal to open an account for him without a SSN. He told me that they have a Constitutional right to a bank account. After listening to him rant for a while, I told him I was not in a position to debate Constitutional Law with him, but I would like for him to send me a copy of his Constitution so I could see it because my copy of the US Constitution did not mention anything about bank accounts. Never heard from him again.

Return to Top
#1948677 - 08/04/14 04:42 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
I personally love to engage these folks. Picking apart their False Premise fallacy arguments drives 'em crazy.

Originally Posted By: Sun Shine Lady
A customer came into our bank today to open an account and refused to provide a social security number. We told him we would not be able to help him. He then pulls out this Notice to FI's and Account holders regarding the possession and use of Social Security number. The notice sites 31 CFR 103.28 and CFR l03.33 and CTR l03.34. He also says that if we do not open the account, we have to give him a valid reason. Has anyone come across this before?

My response? "I'll see your outdated Notice, and I'll raise you my Bank Secrecy Act Law and Call you!". And say, "I'm all in."

Added: I would have also put out an APB to the other local banks that you just had a 'live one' in trolling for trouble.
Last edited by Cornhusker; 08/04/14 04:45 PM.
Return to Top
#1948712 - 08/04/14 05:44 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Sunshine Lady
MidwestCFE Offline
Platinum Poster
MidwestCFE
wish it was the Smoky Mountain...
and..it wasn't a "customer" who came in...it was a potential customer, so they don't get to decide the rules...

Return to Top
#1948736 - 08/04/14 06:21 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # MidwestCFE
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Only someone with a really cruel streak would say, "Hey, there's a nut job or some sort of tax protestor or citizen of the Republic of Texas in the lobby. Let's let send Ken to talk to him!" Just so these people did not become extinct at my hands, I reduced my response to a handout and BOL has kept it in the toolbox for years.

My own mean streak might be evidenced in the fact that my handout sends the nut job to the CFPB web site. wink

You know, it never occurred to me until just now, just think about the people who call them!

Return to Top
#1948759 - 08/04/14 06:42 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Only someone with a really cruel streak would say, "Hey, there's a nut job or some sort of tax protestor or citizen of the Republic of Texas in the lobby. Let's let send Ken to talk to him!" Just so these people did not become extinct at my hands, I reduced my response to a handout and BOL has kept it in the toolbox for years.

My own mean streak might be evidenced in the fact that my handout sends the nut job to the CFPB web site. wink

You know, it never occurred to me until just now, just think about the people who call them!

sure then you will be forced to explain BSA to them as well

CAMS

Return to Top
#1948764 - 08/04/14 06:45 PM Re: Customer refused to provide a Social Security # edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Nope. I gave them the handout. Said "Have a nice day." Then turned around and left. There is no point talking to someone who has a cause.

P.S. Today, I would note them on my complaint log too. wink

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z