Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1951568 - 08/11/14 04:44 PM Tony Stewart
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/10/justice/tony-stewart-hits-driver/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Any NASCAR fans wish to chime in.

Personally I do not see why a driver of Stewart's caliber would be entered into such a race. But there are others that compete as well.

CAMS

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1951591 - 08/11/14 05:03 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I have yet to decide whether or not I think there was malicious intent....I would like to think not. I think it's suspect that they boy was walking into 'traffic'. Almost asking to be run over.

This would be the largest part of the explanation as to why. It's all an adrenaline rush and unless your sponsors forbid it...they get it every way they can.

Stewart also owns a dirt race track in New Weston, Ohio, and has frequently raced sprint cars during the NASCAR season. He broke a leg last year in a crash that ended his racing season. He has raced the full NASCAR season this year but only returned to sprint cars in July.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1951600 - 08/11/14 05:08 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Not being around the sport for a while (our local track closed in the early 80's) I would have thought that someone of Stewart's caliber would be mentor to others at the facility and not trying to win at all costs (still to be determined in this case). About a year ago he was involved in another aggressive race in this series.

Money is no object for him, let someone else have a crack at the big leagues.

Kind of like a MLB pitcher facing a HS senior.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1951609 - 08/11/14 05:28 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we have a local dirt track, i went once about 20 years ago...certainly not my cup of tea and have not been to or watched a race since. However, there was a driver who collided with another and his car was put into the fence. He jumped from his car, grabbed a rather large pipe wrench (about 2 feet long) and began chasing the other guy around the track AS THE REMAINING CARS CONTINUED TO RACE. Certainly not what i would term "brightest bulb" by any sense of the imagination.

Return to Top
#1951641 - 08/11/14 06:24 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Seeing the video, it appeared as if Stewart tried to get close to him and gun it (certainly no intention of hitting him). However, when he gunned it, the car slid sideways a bit and clipped the other driver with his rear tire.

I think there is a criminal case to be made, but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Return to Top
#1951643 - 08/11/14 06:26 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Interesting that Tony was going to race in the whatever sprint cup race they ran yesteday. That's pretty classy.

Return to Top
#1951646 - 08/11/14 06:32 PM Re: Tony Stewart Jafo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Jafo
Interesting that Tony was going to race in the whatever sprint cup race they ran yesteday. That's pretty classy.

he signed up for that race some time ago, not saturday night...news reports indicate he withdrew saturday night following the accident...

Return to Top
#1951647 - 08/11/14 06:32 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
The film is pretty clear. The walked (actually charged) into a place he ahd no business being on a dirt track. Cant imagine that that Stewart will be found guilty of anything at all. Its sad for the family and for Stewart.

Return to Top
#1951654 - 08/11/14 06:52 PM Re: Tony Stewart TMatt87
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: TMatt87
Seeing the video, it appeared as if Stewart tried to get close to him and gun it (certainly no intention of hitting him). However, when he gunned it, the car slid sideways a bit and clipped the other driver with his rear tire.

Keep in mind the film that is on YouTube is being shot from the near side of the track. What sounds like Tony accelerating, may very well be a car closer to the camera "gunning his motor".

What appears to be tony swerving toward the driver could be the reaction fo the car after the kid got under tony's back wheel pulling tony's car up the track.

Only Tony knows what really happened. Hopefully there is other film from other angles to show what could have happened.

I am not a fan of Tony, so i am not trying to defend him. He is known as a hot head (thus his nickname "smoke") so it is very possible he "Gunned" the motor to intimidate the kid. The Kid was on the "Slick groove" and way to close to oncoming traffic and may have slid under the back wheel.

I in no way believe Tony had intent to hit the kid.

Far as intent to race Sunday, when Tony made the announcement of racing Sunday, it was immediately after the vent, he at that point did not know the driver was dead. Upon learning that the driver was dead, Tony became visibly shaken and he withdrew fro the race.

Bottom line; The kid should have stayed in his car (Per the rules issued in pre race drivers meeting) until safety crews arrived. You are not to get out of your cars unless they are on fire. It is sad, but I believe NASCAR as a result of this will start enforcing penalties for violating that rule. I think they have turned their heads in the past, cause it made good drama for the sport.

Far as the racing these smaller events, it is not like a MLB player pitching a HS game. Although in Highschool if Tom Seaver would have come to a game to pitch I would have been thrilled to bat against him.

Tony and several other NASCAR drivers got their start in Sprint Car, (Ryan Newman, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, Matt Kennseth, Kenny Wallace, etc) and they go back to race these races to bring interest to the sport and to bring money to the tracks. Many of them own these smaller tracks.

Return to Top
#1951660 - 08/11/14 07:00 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i haven't heard any of his endorsements have dropped him...guess if the tune of "no charges to be filed" changes that will as well

Return to Top
#1951688 - 08/11/14 08:03 PM Re: Tony Stewart DD Regs
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Far as the racing these smaller events, it is not like a MLB player pitching a HS game. Although in Highschool if Tom Seavers would have come to a game to pitch I would have been thrilled to bat against him.

there's more than one Tom Seaver?

Return to Top
#1951706 - 08/11/14 08:17 PM Re: Tony Stewart Peepers
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Peepers
Far as the racing these smaller events, it is not like a MLB player pitching a HS game. Although in Highschool if Tom Seavers would have come to a game to pitch I would have been thrilled to bat against him.

there's more than one Tom Seaver?

That is how it is spelled on the poster I got at WalMarts whistle

Return to Top
#1951727 - 08/11/14 08:35 PM Re: Tony Stewart TMatt87
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By: TMatt87

Ask someone who has driven a sprint car and they will tell you that those things often are steered by accelerating. The things are designed to drift through corners. Apply the right amount of gas and that helps in maneuvering. So, for all the critics who say he accelerated into the guy. . .

CRCM

Return to Top
#1951742 - 08/11/14 08:45 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
One would think that a world class driver would know about that (Stewart). Is is possible that he did not see the other driver? Some claim that he should have because the driver before him did but did the other driver block his view?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1951753 - 08/11/14 08:54 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Meaning for anyone who thinks he gunned it to hit the guy, he may have been gunning it to maneuver around the guy.

I love a good thread, but, respectfully, this one is about as relevant as any thread where someone does something idiotic and gets hurt or killed; followed by the other party being vilified.

Don't walk out onto a racetrack; you're liable to get runt over.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1951762 - 08/11/14 09:06 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i can hardly wait for the Congressional Hearings on Sprint Car Racing Saftey to convene...the type of dirt allowed on the track, lighting used and how quickly they will switch from the gas-vapor to a brighter yet more efficient LED light, American manufactured tires...and to determine if any type of steroids, opiates, or stimulants are used by the racers...having seen Tony Stewart in person, I can rest assured that pituitary growth hormone is not being abused.

Return to Top
#1951769 - 08/11/14 09:16 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I wouldn't worry about them finding opiates. I imagine they will find. . . trace amounts. . . of Natural Light present in the system of the drivers and fans.
Last edited by Norman Paperman; 08/11/14 09:17 PM.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1951863 - 08/12/14 01:11 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Saw the video and heard a bunch of witness stories last night. Visibility was not an issue. Tony is going to jail for min reckless homicide if not murder as it is totally clear he meant to at least hurt the other driver. A temper gets many men in deep trouble and one little laps in judgment can kill another man as this shows. I feel badly for both families but not for Tony, though I would like to, he will live with what he chose to do weather convicted or not.

Return to Top
#1951872 - 08/12/14 01:24 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Only Tony Stewart knows if he hit that kid, or got close to that kid on purpose, but I appreciate you convicting him already. And trust me, I'm no fan of TS, that's for sure, but condemning him before a true investigation by experts just doesn't seem right to me.

Seems like a pervasive issue in society today; once accused, it's almost irrelevant whether you're convicted since your name and picture are plastered on the news and papers with whatever accusation there is against you, but when one is found not guilty, that doesn't make the same kind of press. Just an observation.

Return to Top
#1951877 - 08/12/14 01:29 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
It's not surprising in the world that we live in. I'm constantly seeing admonishments to "tweet us your opinion" about the guilt or innocence of some person......after giving a thumbnail abbreviation of some criminal case.....and then we the general public feel obligated to chime in.

Return to Top
#1951879 - 08/12/14 01:31 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The world we live in today tells us that our own opinion is king. I don't think it's that simple.

Return to Top
#1951880 - 08/12/14 01:32 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
The sheriff tells another story. No Criminal Intent.

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/story/d...-Bk2iImsA8IdHYw

Return to Top
#1951882 - 08/12/14 01:35 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
unless he comes out and says "yeah, i ran him over on purpose" or "i was just goosing the car to scare him, i didn't mean to hit him" i don't think any DA or grand jury in the country will bring charges. While tragic, it is really stupid to charge a 2,000 pound car going 35 MPH on a slippery dirt track...

Return to Top
#1951883 - 08/12/14 01:35 PM Re: Tony Stewart Norman Paperman
Post-it Offline
Post-it
Midwest
Driving a sprint car is like driving a boat, if you just turn the wheel nothing will happen. You have to accelerate to get the wheels to react to the turn but on dirt you often drift (that's what these cars are designed for) so what appears in the video was probably the only thing he could do to try and avoid the man.

Granted this is all speculation so who knows what the real intent was.

Return to Top
#1952033 - 08/12/14 03:42 PM Re: Tony Stewart DD Regs
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
The sheriff tells another story. No Criminal Intent.

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/story/d...-Bk2iImsA8IdHYw

From the article linked :
"The investigation, however, is not over. Povero said his office is seeking witnesses and experts in this type of dirt track racing. The office has two videos of the crash and is seeking more. Povero said there is no timeline on the investigation."

"But some legal analysts say there's room for charges, depending on what the investigation shows. Jack Ford of CBS News said. "There's a possibility for something such as criminally negligent homicide. That means I didn't intend to kill anybody. I didn't even intend to hurt anybody but what I did is I ignored any obvious risk.""

I personally hope the witnesses I heard this morning are all wrong actually.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4