Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1951979 - 08/12/14 02:58 PM Villain or Superhero?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Ok, is this guy a villain disappointing a (spoiled) child? Or is he a superhero who is attempting to improve public behavior of a (spoiled) child by teaching an important life lesson? Discuss. laugh smile

"We've all been there. You're standing in line for something, and behind you is a screaming child; and, to make the situation worse, his or her caretaker seems oblivious to the temper-tantrum happening in front of their eyes, and makes no effort whatsoever to fix the situation or quell the kid's demands. But how far would you go to get revenge?

According to Eater, one man went so far as to order 23 apple pies to exact his own punishment in the form of disappointment. After standing in front of such a duo while waiting to order at Burger King, listening to the child curse at his mother, throw his Gameboy and repeatedly demand the sweet dessert, the man bought up every single last pie in the place — and no, we’d assume he wasn’t actually planning on eating them all. He then turned to walk away, glancing back to watch the family learn that there were, sadly, no pies left.

Later, he took to Reddit to ask the masses if he was a bad person. Do you think his methods were justified, or was he acting irrationally?"

http://living.msn.com/food-drink/food-news/man-buys-23-burger-king-pies-out-of-spite

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1951981 - 08/12/14 03:01 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
this was proven to be false, never happened...

but one could wish it had.

Return to Top
#1951987 - 08/12/14 03:05 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1951993 - 08/12/14 03:07 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
Do you think his methods were justified, or was he acting irrationally?"

Given that this was at a BK, do we know that this was not Peepers? Could have just been his normal order...

Return to Top
#1951994 - 08/12/14 03:08 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Hahaha Bobby! laugh Good point! Oh, that Peepers....

Ok, sorry guys, I didn't think to "snopes" this and my reading of it on msnliving was the first I had heard of it. My bad. smile

Return to Top
#1951997 - 08/12/14 03:10 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
If it ever happened, it would have happened just this way.

The situation should never have gotten to the point that the guy bought out all the pies. It looks too vengeful, and on a child.

The caregiver should have dealt with the kid. She was the person needed the lessons, not the child.

Return to Top
#1952006 - 08/12/14 03:14 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Can't stand tantrum throwing brats in public. They frequently grow into intolerable human beings (not all mind you). But its not the child that I want to bust, its the parent that allows it to happen. We, as a society, are not required to put up with your ill tempered, ill mannered whelp. Take it somewhere else and bloody well fix it!
Thank you for your assistance with this matter. smile

But as it so happens in this case, it is likely nothing more than a fantasy. smile
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 08/12/14 03:15 PM.

Return to Top
#1952012 - 08/12/14 03:18 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I would have bought all the pies, too. Just because I can't stand whiny brats. And I would hand out the pies to the homeless.

Return to Top
#1952015 - 08/12/14 03:22 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
the first clue this was false was that he bought 23 pies...no fast food place ever has more than 3-4 available...and the last one usually is bought right before i ask for one!

Return to Top
#1952023 - 08/12/14 03:28 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? HappyGilmore
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
and the last one usually is bought right before i ask for one!

Then quit being such a whiny little brat in line! laugh

Return to Top
#1952028 - 08/12/14 03:39 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
A misbehaving child is a topic everyone could debate until the end of time. Having 2 young children I will say that sometimes tantrums are unavoidable. Are adults allowed to occasionally have a bad day and project a bad attitude? Yes, so then why not children? Sometimes kids have bad days and rather than being hateful to their significant other like an adult would, they yell and scream and want their voice to be heard. Now these tantrums should not be rewarded and a parent should ALWAYS try to quiet the child and help them act more appropriately. Many times in the aisles of the local Walmart I'm pulling my kids to the side to whisper (much more effective than yelling) to them about their behavior. Since the BK story has been proven false, debating the merits of buying all the pies to spite a child is moot. But I think sometimes the childless should consider that children are human and although they are not always equipped to share their emotions in an adult way they do have a range of emotions just like us.

Return to Top
#1952030 - 08/12/14 03:40 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Would be fun to buy them, then hand them out to the Good kids in the place and then eat the last one in front of the brat.

Return to Top
#1952034 - 08/12/14 03:43 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
As a parent of two, (now 16 and 18) I can tell you, if my kids acted this way, they were taken out of the store and dealt with accordingly. Then the next time they acted that way, I asked, "Do you want me to take you ouot of the store" and their attitude changed. smile

Return to Top
#1952035 - 08/12/14 03:45 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? DD Regs
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Then the next time they acted that way, I asked, "Do you want me to take you ouot of the store" and their attitude changed. smile

Didn't know you were Canadian. smile

Return to Top
#1952041 - 08/12/14 03:49 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
A

Return to Top
#1952048 - 08/12/14 03:55 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I had a circumstance with my youngest now 18 in the grocery store when she was about 3. She insisted that she was going to get a candy bar at the check out, I insisted she wasn't. She carried on and as some of you posters might say was a brat, however I would not give in and she carried on. When we left the store she was told in no uncertain terms to never do that again and she didn't. I'm sure there were people who thought I should have paddled her or taken her out of the store, but for me it was more effective to not give in. I now kid her and tell her that some day when I am old I'm going to lay on the floor by the candy bars and scream and kick until I get one! She does not think it's funny smile

Return to Top
#1952070 - 08/12/14 04:14 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I think one distinction that fuels my angst is the child using profanity, in this story. IMO, this shows poor parenting. If I dropped an F-bomb in front of my parents as a child, my bottom would be blistered. Even today, I wouldn't use that word around my parents.

Return to Top
#1952128 - 08/12/14 04:58 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? Bobby Boucher
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
Do you think his methods were justified, or was he acting irrationally?"

Given that this was at a BK, do we know that this was not Peepers? Could have just been his normal order...

impossible, I've cut back to 20 pies per meal, doctor's orders

Return to Top
#1952131 - 08/12/14 05:00 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
When Kid wonder was much younger, she would lay down on the floor of the grocery store pitch a fit if she didn't get what she wanted. I would walk away and leave her in that aisle. She soon learned that it wasn't having the desired effect and stopped. I got some dirty looks from other moms, but that's fine -it worked.
Last edited by waldensouth; 08/12/14 05:01 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1952135 - 08/12/14 05:03 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
You just have to know how each child will react to what type of discipline.

My son, I just had to give him a stare, and he would stop. now the daughter, she was much more defiant and stubborn. She you had to take out of the store and deal with.

Return to Top
#1952139 - 08/12/14 05:08 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
^^ agree! Using that kind of language is definitely unacceptable and my boys would be lucky to ever get a pie if they were talking like that. At the very least, the pie would taste a whole lot like the soap I used to wash their mouth out.

Return to Top
#1952219 - 08/12/14 05:51 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? CompliantOkie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
A misbehaving child... .Are adults allowed to occasionally have a bad day and project a bad attitude? .

kids who misbehave and act out show up on the internet...parents who act out show up on COPS. Slight difference...of course, kids who quickly realize that acting out gets them their way because parents want to be their friends rather than their parents usually wind up on COPS on day, too.

Return to Top
#1952222 - 08/12/14 05:54 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? waldensouth
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
When Kid wonder was much younger, she would lay down on the floor of the grocery store pitch a fit if she didn't get what she wanted.

O-M-G...you'd let your kid lie down on the floor of the grocery store but you refuse to eat a grape until it's been washed? shocked

Return to Top
#1952229 - 08/12/14 05:57 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Our two sons are 32 and 28 and they're fine, well-adjusted, and productive adults. They got a bustin' for such behavior when they were young. They quickly learned that temper tantrums and throwing fits were not tolerated and had consequences.

It doesn't take to many spankings to be able to avoid all sorts of grief when they are older when there is a real need to maintain a level of control. "Train up a child in the way he should go ..."

Old fashion spanking is "out-of-style" and frowned upon by most. In my view it has its place. I'm grateful we're beyond the rearing of children in this day and age when it is fashionable to allow the children to have the upper hand, pushing parents around. After all, nowadays we wouldn't want to warp their little personalities.

We once spent a long trans-Atlantic flight with a 7-hour temper tantrum going on just behind us. It was miserable and completely unnecessary. Sometimes the brats simply need to be "given something to cry about!"

Return to Top
#1952233 - 08/12/14 06:01 PM Re: Villain or Superhero? BurntSienna
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
My daughter tried it once since she was not very good at it I moved her legs up and down to show her what a real tantrum looks like. It stopped the crying as we both started to laugh.

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2