Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1952485 - 08/13/14 02:31 PM can you keep non customer information on file?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our tellers came up with their own short cut that has me shaking my head. Non customers that come in to cash checks the tellers have to write all the non customers information on the back of the check. Well they thought up an idea to keep those non customers that come in every week on file so they can make the process go faster. They ask for the ID and get a thumb print but then let the non customer leave and go to their box and use the file card to write all the information down on the back of the check. Then one has the idea that you just write "on file" on the back of the check and then you don't have to write anything down. They are not following our internal procedures but I am now curious as to what laws I need to look at. UCC, UDAAP, CIP? Can you keep non customer information on file , can you simply write on the back of the check it's on file?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1952493 - 08/13/14 02:41 PM Re: can you keep non customer information on file? Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
You can do what you like but when the depositor comes into the bank and claims that the person who he gave the check to did not cash it how are you going to prove it. Especially when the non-customer is an elderly person and the person on you film (if you have it) is old. PS the teller staff will not be checking ID just writing on file on the back. (From experience hence the old vs young)
Last edited by EdAudit; 08/13/14 02:42 PM.

CAMS

#1952514 - 08/13/14 03:20 PM Re: can you keep non customer information on file? Anonymous
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
I don't like the bank keeping non-customer ID on file. I think it can open the door to internal ID theft or the accusation of it by one whose information was collected.
They must be really busy to need that kind of short cut.

#1953118 - 08/14/14 05:53 PM Re: can you keep non customer information on file? NotDoneYet
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: NotDoneYet
I don't like the bank keeping non-customer ID on file. I think it can open the door to internal ID theft or the accusation of it by one whose information was collected.
They must be really busy to need that kind of short cut.
Sorry? You don't like the bank keeping information on file, yet you want them to write the info on the check that you will image and ... have on file. And if it is over a certain dollar amount, your teller system will prompt for CTR info which will be... kept on file. You are keeping it on file on way or another.

That said, this practice is dumb, but for EdAudit's reasons, not NotDoneYet's. I started as a teller and never had any problem writing my t-chart and recording the ID info on every check I cashed. And that's waaayyy back when bank teller lines were actually busy and we were cashing 500+ non-customer checks through the drive thru per teller per day on a Sharp machine.

#1953230 - 08/14/14 08:16 PM Re: can you keep non customer information on file? Anonymous
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
I'm sorry but someone being able to pull the information off a file card when that person is not a customer, concerns me more than being able to find the information if you have to do some research. Not everyone working in a bank is trustworthy as I well know after 30 years in the business.

I do remember the days of long lines as a teller. Now I have the pleasure of doing investigations and from this side of the desk, what they are suggesting concerns me.

#1953257 - 08/14/14 08:47 PM Re: can you keep non customer information on file? Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
My concern it that they will not pull the card or even know if it is on file. if they do how are you going to check the signature if the do not have ID. typing NYSDL 08767928 x 9/15.

Did not even take me 5 seconds to type.

CAMS

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale