Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1952690 - 08/13/14 06:54 PM Online banking stop payment order expiration date
Patrick Lee Offline
Rosemead, CA
I understand that oral/verbal stop payment is valid for 14 days. Does online banking stop payment is valid for 14 days since it is not specifially in writing? Thank you!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1952719 - 08/13/14 07:36 PM Re: Online banking stop payment order expiration date Patrick Lee
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
This is a UCC issue. You would want to check your state's version of the UCC. I believe my state's UCC states a stop pay must be ratified. This does not mean it has to be in writting.

Return to Top
#1953048 - 08/14/14 04:26 PM Re: Online banking stop payment order expiration date Patrick Lee
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
Our state's UCC 4-403 reads "A stop-payment order is effective for six months, but it lapses after 14 calendar days if the original order was oral and was not confirmed in a record within that period." Based on this, if the stop payment is given in any form that can be recorded (through the online banking system) it is effective for six months. Of course, CA may be different.

Return to Top
#1953262 - 08/14/14 08:52 PM Re: Online banking stop payment order expiration date Patrick Lee
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If your state's version of 4-403 ties the 14-day expiration to an oral stop order, that limit would apply to an order delivered by spoken word only.

If it says "verbal" there's a problem, since "verbal" is one of those wishy-washy words that can go either way. It is sometimes understood to be the same as "oral" (spoken) but it technically means "expressed in the form of words."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1953323 - 08/14/14 10:27 PM Re: Online banking stop payment order expiration date Patrick Lee
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How about looking at your electronic banking agreement. If you allow stop payments to be placed through electronic banking, if you don't specify what it means, good luck in making anything stick.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett