BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1953391 - 08/15/14 01:46 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
let's get some facts straight, please...

1. car racing is not a sport, it is a competition
2. rules of the competition say stay in your car unless it is on fire or you are in serious danger of worse injury
3. kid got out of his car, with no fire and no threat of serious injury
4. kid runs at a vehicle traveling an estimated 35 miles per hour and is struck by the car
5. bumping of cars while competing for track space is within the rules of competition (called swapping paint by most)
6. car racing is a competition, not a sport
7. people who participate in professional level competitions are the most Type A personalities, ultra competitive, and often their quest for the competition overrides their common sense. this competitive drive is what got them to this level, and it is what makes the competition entertaining.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1953405 - 08/15/14 01:57 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
NASCAR has new rule to keep drivers in cars under yellow

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nas...rd-jr/14100643/

If you believe USA today it was just a guideline. Now it is a rule with no penalty. (seems like they want emotions to be shown in the sport of NASCAR Much like steroids in baseball in the 90s, Hockey, and flopping in soccer)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953473 - 08/15/14 03:09 PM Re: Tony Stewart HappyGilmore
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If the driver wasn't Tony Stewart, few people here would even know the accident happened. If the driver wasn't Tony Stewart, no one here would be presumptuous enough to suggest he did it on purpose.

Stewart's like others (such as Kyle and Kurt) a bad boy persona as the result of a cultivated effort. I'm not a fan of any of them, but my world is not simplistic enough to think that would automatically make any of them guilty of intentionally killing someone.

The kid, bless his heart, was emulating his heroes, but it wasn't a paved track and it wasn't daylight. He miscalculated the risk and I feel horrible for him and for those he left behind.

Return to Top
#1953567 - 08/15/14 04:37 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Well said Ken.

Return to Top
#1953615 - 08/15/14 05:08 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I know nothing about racing but Nate Ryan, guy that wrote the article and covers NASCAR for USA Today, is my cousin. smile

Return to Top
#1953707 - 08/15/14 06:00 PM Re: Tony Stewart Elwood P. Dowd
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
If the driver wasn't Tony Stewart, few people here would even know the accident happened. If the driver wasn't Tony Stewart, no one here would be presumptuous enough to suggest he did it on purpose.

Stewart's like others (such as Kyle and Kurt) a bad boy persona as the result of a cultivated effort. I'm not a fan of any of them, but my world is not simplistic enough to think that would automatically make any of them guilty of intentionally killing someone.

The kid, bless his heart, was emulating his heroes, but it wasn't a paved track and it wasn't daylight. He miscalculated the risk and I feel horrible for him and for those he left behind.

I dont think many, if any, think Stewart meant to kill him. But he does have a history of doing macho, potentially dangerous stuff when he feels disrespected. That's a plausible scenario for what happened here-basically vehicular manslaughter-we'll see what comes from the investigation.

Yeah, Ware did something stupid, but that doesn't mean if Stewart escalates it by doing something stupid himself he gets off the hook.

Return to Top
#1953714 - 08/15/14 06:06 PM Re: Tony Stewart Stupendous Man
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
But he does have a history of doing macho, potentially dangerous stuff when he feels disrespected.

Aside from Marcus Ambrose, which drivers do not have that history?

Stewart isn't on "the hook." He's only being accused by 1) people whose emotions are raw and 2) those who were sitting in row TT on the opposite side of the track, 3) those watching videos on U Tube. Not by other drivers. Not by in-car cameras. Not by NASCAR officials. Not by the Sheriff (whose poise is incredible given the size of the town).

Return to Top
#1953734 - 08/15/14 06:24 PM Re: Tony Stewart Elwood P. Dowd
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas

Aside from Marcus Ambrose, which drivers do not have that history?

Doesn't excuse it. The analogy i'd use is beanballs in baseball. eventually, someone's gonna stare at a home run too long and get hit in the head and die. Because beanballs are a part of baseball culture wont excuse it. They're still taking a chance. If you get unlucky and it goes horribly wrong, you get punished. Just like a barfight. I bet 95% of fistfights just end with guys getting thrown out of the bar. But you shove a guy, he falls and happens to hit his head and die--welp, you just committed manslaughter.

Stewart isn't on "the hook." He's only being accused by 1) people whose emotions are raw and 2) those who were sitting in row TT on the opposite side of the track, 3) those watching videos on U Tube. Not by other drivers. Not by in-car cameras. Not by NASCAR officials. Not by the Sheriff (whose poise is incredible given the size of the town).

That's my point. IF he acted recklessly (and that's still up in the air, but IF he did) then Ware's mistake shouldn't excuse his actions.

Return to Top
#1953839 - 08/15/14 08:50 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Interesting Op Ed.

http://ondirtracingnews.com/?p=6836

Very informative

Return to Top
#1953845 - 08/15/14 09:00 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
everyone is wrong

That I can agree with.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953928 - 08/18/14 10:57 AM Re: Tony Stewart DD Regs
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The most knowledgeable, analytical piece I've read on the subject, but perhaps too detailed for the general public.

Many of the others I've read seem to paraphrase the Queen of Hearts:

'No, no!' said the Queen. 'Sentence first - verdict afterwards.'

Return to Top
#1954053 - 08/18/14 04:45 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West

Return to Top
#1954079 - 08/18/14 05:28 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
saw a blurb scroll on NBCSN this weekend that Stewart was retiring from auto racing...no idea if accurate...

Return to Top
#1954082 - 08/18/14 05:30 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1964401 - 09/24/14 07:58 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
The latest: Tony will not be charged, and Kevin Ward was high on marijuana that night on the track.

Fox news link, or, if you prefer: CNN news link

As the official NASCAR spokesman said, "There are no winners in tragedy." How true.

Return to Top
#1964463 - 09/24/14 09:45 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I read one of the articles, I think it was the Times,and they did not want to release the actual findings of the grand jury, just that no charges will be filed and the kid was high so his judgement was clouded.
So does that mean it is ok to run over people that are high because their judgment is clouded?

Return to Top
#1964465 - 09/24/14 09:48 PM Re: Tony Stewart Wolfy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
don't race while high and don't get out of your car after a crash (unless you have to to save your life)

Return to Top
#1964474 - 09/24/14 10:37 PM Re: Tony Stewart Peepers
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: Peepers
don't race while high and don't get out of your car after a crash (unless you have to to save your life)

'Zactly!

Return to Top
#1964494 - 09/25/14 02:59 AM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
It was an accident. It is too bad, but these things happen when you get out of your car on a race track while cars are still driving on it.

Return to Top
#1964516 - 09/25/14 01:27 PM Re: Tony Stewart Wolfy
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Wolfy

So does that mean it is ok to run over people that are high because their judgment is clouded?

Right? I'm not sure why him smoking pot matters. He messed up going onto the track, but the question was always whether Tony Stewart tried to buzz him and got too close. (Assuming it wasn't a full on purpose hit).

Return to Top
#1964533 - 09/25/14 01:47 PM Re: Tony Stewart Stupendous Man
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Originally Posted By: Wolfy

Right? I'm not sure why him smoking pot matters. He messed up going onto the track, but the question was always whether Tony Stewart tried to buzz him and got too close. (Assuming it wasn't a full on purpose hit).

Smoking pot matters when it clouds your judgment and you walk out in front of or too near a 600hp racecar that's difficult to control, especially while it's riding on a slippery track.

Now, do I think TS may have gotten too close to prove something to this stupid kid? Quite possibly, but I think the greater amount of negligence is on the kid smoking pot then driving a racecar. That's just plum dumb, may he rest in peace.

Return to Top
#1964549 - 09/25/14 02:04 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
There was a statement by one of the grand jury members who stated that a review of the evidence (film) showed no change in the direction of Tony's car until after impact by the rear tire.

Return to Top
#1964634 - 09/25/14 03:45 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Strange that we now have the possibility of an entire state legally driving around impaired by pot. whose fault will all the crashes be? O_o

Return to Top
#1964635 - 09/25/14 03:47 PM Re: Tony Stewart Wolfy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
the car's

Return to Top
#1964684 - 09/25/14 04:27 PM Re: Tony Stewart edAudit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
fully automatic assault cars!