Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Thread Options
#1953733 - 08/15/14 06:24 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
(Quote from the linked blog) I like to call my strategy “don’t be a reckless, ignorant, hysterical instigator who immediately diagnoses a situation based on whatever overarching political narrative you subscribe to, and then reaffirms those assumptions by quickly ingesting an assortment of Tweets and half-cocked headlines from notoriously ideological news outlets,”

I believe this is consistent with something i said in another thread on this topic. Hopefully, this one passes the "thoughtful" test.
Last edited by raitchjay; 08/15/14 06:24 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1953735 - 08/15/14 06:25 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
(Quote from the linked blog) I like to call my strategy “don’t be a reckless, ignorant, hysterical instigator who immediately diagnoses a situation based on whatever overarching political narrative you subscribe to, and then reaffirms those assumptions by quickly ingesting an assortment of Tweets and half-cocked headlines from notoriously ideological news outlets,”

I believe this is consistent with something i said in another thread on this topic. Hopefully, this one passes the "thoughtful" test.

wait - are you claiming plaigerism by Mr. Walsh? shocked

Return to Top
#1953737 - 08/15/14 06:27 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Haha. It does agree pretty well with my earlier post.

Return to Top
#1953738 - 08/15/14 06:27 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? MyBrainHurts
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Well, so back to the original topic...

What a difference a day, and a different police commander, makes. The gov put the state police in charge, specifically a man who grew up in that area, and the cops wore normal cop clothes and mingled with crowd. No gas, no bricks.

At the arch grounds, in downtown St Louis, a large demonstration was held, with Michael Brown's family in attendance. The St. Louis police chief has been very critical of the heavy handed methods of the county police. As if to say, let me show you how this is done, he met before the demonstration with the organizers, walked amid the crowd and took selfies with protestors, and the police mainly stood off the side wearing yellow vests and looking like parking lot attendants.

So, for now, it's somewhat back to normal in the area, and the Cardinals won and the Packers are coming to town to school the Rams.

yeah, this guy seems like a Godsend. Finally an adult came up and didn't give in to fear and greed and may have put an end to the cycle of escalation.

Return to Top
#1953741 - 08/15/14 06:30 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Xian Ngyuen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: EdSpenser
Why? What's happening in Mississippi?

http://www.clarionledger.com/

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953744 - 08/15/14 06:32 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Well, so back to the original topic...

What a difference a day, and a different police commander, makes. The gov put the state police in charge, specifically a man who grew up in that area, and the cops wore normal cop clothes and mingled with crowd. No gas, no bricks.

At the arch grounds, in downtown St Louis, a large demonstration was held, with Michael Brown's family in attendance. The St. Louis police chief has been very critical of the heavy handed methods of the county police. As if to say, let me show you how this is done, he met before the demonstration with the organizers, walked amid the crowd and took selfies with protestors, and the police mainly stood off the side wearing yellow vests and looking like parking lot attendants.

So, for now, it's somewhat back to normal in the area, and the Cardinals won and the Packers are coming to town to school the Rams.

yeah, this guy seems like a Godsend. Finally an adult came up and didn't give in to fear and greed and may have put an end to the cycle of escalation.

Agreed Mike Matheny put up a good team the other day.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953745 - 08/15/14 06:33 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? edAudit
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
Originally Posted By: EdSpenser
Why? What's happening in Mississippi?

http://www.clarionledger.com/

Ah, I see you edited your original post.

Return to Top
#1953747 - 08/15/14 06:36 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
As a silly question get a silly answer

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953749 - 08/15/14 06:42 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
really? The Ferguson police chief may in hindsight wish he'd done things differently. But the statistic I found most telling is that even with a turn to a predominantly black community policed by a predominantly white police force, the violent crime rate has dropped by more than 50%.
Quote:
In 2008, the town's crime rate was significantly higher than the state average, but since then, violent crime has consistently dropped each year. There were 163 instances of violent crime in Ferguson in 2008 and only 80 in 2012, according FBI data.
(USA Today)

From what I've seen and read, this type of incident has been known to spark similar reactions no matter where it happened. There's a universal problem that needs solving, not just this particular one.

Return to Top
#1953755 - 08/15/14 06:48 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and with all the calling out for the name of the officer involved, the chief released that today, to be immediately criticized by the state police captain who was appointed by the governor to march and take selfies with the protestors prevent additional cases of looting from occurring...nothing like support from your brethren officers

Return to Top
#1953771 - 08/15/14 06:54 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
really? The Ferguson police chief may in hindsight wish he'd done things differently. But the statistic I found most telling is that even with a turn to a predominantly black community policed by a predominantly white police force, the violent crime rate has dropped by more than 50%.
Quote:
In 2008, the town's crime rate was significantly higher than the state average, but since then, violent crime has consistently dropped each year. There were 163 instances of violent crime in Ferguson in 2008 and only 80 in 2012, according FBI data.
(USA Today)

From what I've seen and read, this type of incident has been known to spark similar reactions no matter where it happened. There's a universal problem that needs solving, not just this particular one.

We are having similar here in NYC but without the looting. Why because they are giving in to every demand and pretty much have let Sharpton run the show. Now shootings are up (murders are down which can be attributed to quicker EMS times). So how is it any better. A great deal of crime victims are minorities themselves.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953886 - 08/16/14 02:20 AM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
buggs Offline
Power Poster
It's the same kind of wrong of saying being happy is a choice. What it really does is try to use guilt as a method to control the actions of another person.

- Being homosexual is a choice, don't be a homosexual.
- Being heterosexual is a choice, be heterosexual?
- Getting divorced is a choice, don't get a divorce.
- Getting sick is a choice, don't get sick.
- Staying healthy is a choice, be healthy.

- Killing yourself is a choice, don't choose to kill yourself.
- Not killing yourself is a choice, choose to not kill yourself.

It's a very simplistic way of viewing the world. There was a time I let others tell me what to think. Now I try to think for myself. You need to follow your own path, but know this, sometimes your choice is made for you by another person or by circumstances. You cannot control what cannot be controlled. You should not try to control that which should not be controlled.

Take note. This is a reply to a question asked directly to me by another participant in this forum.
Last edited by buggs; 08/16/14 02:22 AM.
Return to Top
#1953909 - 08/17/14 03:19 AM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? buggs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
You need to follow your own path, but know this, sometimes your choice is made for you by another person or by circumstances.
Good lord I hope not. Someone or some circumstance may influence my choice, but by pure definition of the word, it cannot make my choice for me.

Return to Top
#1953944 - 08/18/14 01:37 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: buggs
It's the same kind of wrong of saying being happy is a choice. What it really does is try to use guilt as a method to control the actions of another person.

- Being homosexual is a choice, don't be a homosexual.
- Being heterosexual is a choice, be heterosexual?
- Getting divorced is a choice, don't get a divorce.
- Getting sick is a choice, don't get sick.
- Staying healthy is a choice, be healthy.

- Killing yourself is a choice, don't choose to kill yourself.
- Not killing yourself is a choice, choose to not kill yourself.

It's a very simplistic way of viewing the world. There was a time I let others tell me what to think. Now I try to think for myself. You need to follow your own path, but know this, sometimes your choice is made for you by another person or by circumstances. You cannot control what cannot be controlled. You should not try to control that which should not be controlled.

Take note. This is a reply to a question asked directly to me by another participant in this forum.

So, what percentage of our actions are we responsible for? 50%? 10% 25%

Return to Top
#1953946 - 08/18/14 01:39 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
some interesting news coming out over the weekend on this...demonstrations and marches calling for the death of the police officer involved...looting started again...people calling for justice which appears to mean the arrest of the officer involved and charging him with premeditated murder without an investigation being finished...implemented a curfew then calls for the curfew to be waived...the state police that have been brought in witnessed looting but took no steps to stop it for fear of the officers safety...residents complianing the police aren't doing anything, but when they take action they complain about the action taken...just doesn't seem to be any winners in this
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 08/18/14 01:41 PM.

Return to Top
#1953947 - 08/18/14 01:42 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Good to see that the State police have taken over for the bumbling local police that tear gassed the protesters. Now there is an experienced and competent individual in charge to tear gas the protestors.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953949 - 08/18/14 01:46 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
some interesting news coming out over the weekend on this...demonstrations and marches calling for the death of the police officer involved...looting started again...people calling for justice which appears to mean the arrest of the officer involved and charging him with premeditated murder without an investigation being finished...implemented a curfew then calls for the curfew to be waived...the state police that have been brought in witnessed looting but took no steps to stop it for fear of the officers safety...residents complianing the police aren't doing anything, but when they take action they complain about the action taken...just doesn't seem to be any winners in this

There are winners in this: the people who scored free stuff, The community organizations that scored additional donations and media attention, The criminals that were allowed to run amok.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1953953 - 08/18/14 01:53 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Can't imagine being a business owner in the middle of this mess. They showed some pics of business owners brandishing automatic weapons to protect their businesses. Just a really bad situation from every angle.

Return to Top
#1953958 - 08/18/14 02:06 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and the washington post is reporting this morning that now the national guard will be going to Ferguson today to restore order...so, local police have failed...state police have failed...bring in the weekend warriors (pictures the scene from Rambo when they have him pinned down at the mine and are shooting like crazy)...

Return to Top
#1953960 - 08/18/14 02:08 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? MB Guy
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Can't imagine being a business owner in the middle of this mess. They showed some pics of business owners brandishing automatic weapons to protect their businesses. Just a really bad situation from every angle.

I hope they had a FFL, otherwise, they are looking at serious jail time.

Return to Top
#1953971 - 08/18/14 02:50 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Being responsible for ones own actions can very very scary, best to say others made me do it. This way one does not have to take stock of who they have become by their "forced" actions and reactions.

Return to Top
#1954036 - 08/18/14 04:15 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Quote:
You need to follow your own path, but know this, sometimes your choice is made for you by another person or by circumstances.
Good lord I hope not. Someone or some circumstance may influence my choice, but by pure definition of the word, it cannot make my choice for me.

Try telling that to the folks who live near the QuikTrip in Ferguson or Iraq. You live a sheltered life, my dear.

Return to Top
#1954041 - 08/18/14 04:21 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
This list may include persons born in the community of Ferguson, past residents, and current residents.

Jimmy Doolittle, American aviation pioneer who served with great distinction as a general during the Second World War.
Ralph Eberhart, general, commander of the North American Aerospace Defense Command during the September 11 attacks[25]
Michael McDonald, Grammy Award-winning singer.
Susan Notorangelo, long-distance cyclist.
Enos Slaughter, Hall of Fame-winning St. Louis Cardinals baseball player.
Harry Tuthill, cartoonist of the syndicated comic strip, The Bungle Family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson,_Missouri

CAMS

Return to Top
#1954044 - 08/18/14 04:25 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? buggs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: buggs
Quote:

Try telling that to the folks who live near the QuikTrip in Ferguson or Iraq. You live a sheltered life, my dear.

I'm not the only one responding this way, buggs.
I suggest you read some of the other posts after yours.
I would appreciate it if you would stop making comments on my life and stick to the topic at hand.

Return to Top
#1954045 - 08/18/14 04:27 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Al-Khalili

Jim Al-Khalili OBE (born 20 September 1962) is an Iraqi-born British theoretical physicist, author and broadcaster. He is currently Professor of Theoretical Physics and Chair in the Public Engagement in Science at the University of Surrey. He has hosted several BBC productions about science and is a frequent commentator about science in other British media. In 2014 Al-Khalili was named as a RISE (Recognising Inspirational Scientists and Engineers) leader by the UK’s Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).[6][7][8]

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15