Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1953822 - 08/15/14 08:22 PM Denying a Loan Because of a Credit Report Dispute
Will B Offline
Gold Star
Can a lender deny a loan because of the presence of an unresolved dispute on the borrower's credit report? I'm not sure if this might be covered by the provision in the ECOA which states that lenders are prohibited from discriminating based on the fact that the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#1953890 - 08/16/14 02:08 PM Re: Denying a Loan Because of a Credit Report Dispute Will B
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, you are not denying them because they disputed the transaction. You are denying them because you need to wait for the outcome to see how it impacts their credit. I can't dispute everything on my credit report and then apply for a loan and get a pass.

Return to Top
#1954014 - 08/18/14 03:39 PM Re: Denying a Loan Because of a Credit Report Dispute rlcarey
Will B Offline
Gold Star
You're correct. We'd be denying them because we need to confirm the actual amount of the debt and how it impacts their credit. In that case, what would be the proper reason to list on the AA Notice? Should we list "unacceptable type of credit reference"?

Return to Top
#1955299 - 08/20/14 05:50 PM Re: Denying a Loan Because of a Credit Report Dispute Will B
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I think "Unable to verify" credit references is more appropriate than "Unacceptable" - or perhaps "unable to verify debit to income ratio".

Return to Top
#1955538 - 08/21/14 01:46 AM Re: Denying a Loan Because of a Credit Report Dispute Will B
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
FYI

"credit references" are like individuals that you put on a resume. Credit references have nothing to do with a credit report.

Return to Top