Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1953534 - 08/15/14 04:06 PM FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone...
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
Hello:

If we received a communication from our flood vendor about a map revision showing a property that is now in a flood zone, do we need to send the 45 day letter if the client already had a flood insurance policy in place with the bank as the mortgagee and we had a copy of it in his file already?

The borrower always had carried flood insurance even though at the time of our loan transaction long ago he was not mapped into a flood zone.

I have not had an occurance where I have received the communicaiton change and have already had flood insurance in place by the borrower.

Please advise. Thank you.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1953545 - 08/15/14 04:19 PM Re: FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone... Fun times...
acquiescent Offline
acquiescent
Chicago, IL
You still need to ensure the policy is for a SFHA. He could have had a policy for a B zone which is not considered a SFHA. The notice that they are in a SFHA and that flood insurance is required, despite them having the prior policy, should still be provided. That is simply a due diligence process you should have consistent in your processes and procedures for MIRE, regardless if they had it prior to you requiring it.

Return to Top
#1953694 - 08/15/14 05:44 PM Re: FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone... Fun times...
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
Yes, we did have them sign the notice but I am wondering if I need to show proof of a 45 day letter in the file?

Return to Top
#1953757 - 08/15/14 06:48 PM Re: FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone... Fun times...
acquiescent Offline
acquiescent
Chicago, IL
Did their policy lapse?

Return to Top
#1953895 - 08/16/14 05:16 PM Re: FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone... Fun times...
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The "45 day letter" is a Force Placement notification. You use it to notify them they don't have adequate insurance. If they do have adequate insurance, no force placement procedures are necessary.

Return to Top
#1954070 - 08/18/14 05:17 PM Re: FEMA Map Revisions - Property now in flood zone... Fun times...
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
No the policy did not lapse and is still effective when we were notified of the map change to put them into a flood plain. Thank you for everyone's responses. I really appreciate it. I didn't think I needed to provide the 45 day letter, but have never run across this before so did not want to assume. Ha!

Return to Top