BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1955214 - 08/20/14 04:45 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Loved playing foamball baseball as a kid. My mom had Christmas ornaments that if you stripped all the string off, were made of styrofoam. They were perfect for use as baseballs.....they'd start off fairly fat....then after getting hit a lot, they'd compress in size, you'd wrap electrical tape around them and it was perfect.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1955221 - 08/20/14 04:53 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
hopscotch, even back then I must have liked booze! laugh

Return to Top
#1955224 - 08/20/14 04:53 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
MonicaMc Offline
100 Club
MonicaMc
Land of Oz
Red Rover at recess. Schools don't even allow kids to play it anymore. Tragic.

Return to Top
#1955256 - 08/20/14 05:21 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Red rover, red rover, let Monica come over.

Return to Top
#1955257 - 08/20/14 05:21 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
blush

Return to Top
#1955272 - 08/20/14 05:34 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Field Day on the last days of school, up through middle school. We'd have 3-legged races, wheelbarrow races, and many other races I can't remember. And only 3 place ribbons: first, second, third. If you didn't win this year, try harder next year.

Return to Top
#1955310 - 08/20/14 05:56 PM Re: Remembering the good old days Peepers
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Peepers
dingdong ditch

we called it thunder and lightning because we rang and also beat/kicked on the door

Return to Top
#1955313 - 08/20/14 05:58 PM Re: Remembering the good old days Bacon Boy
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Field days were awesome. A whole day outside playing and no work grin

Here was my summer schedule: wakeup, go outside and see who's out, then riding bigwheels/bikes/skateboards, playing cupball, playing in the woods and creek, and then when it got dark flashlight tag or ghost in the graveyard. With a few breaks in between for lunch and to drink from the hose.

Return to Top
#1955317 - 08/20/14 05:59 PM Re: Remembering the good old days Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
kick the can...at night.
You couldn't start until dark which is 8pm in the summer.
My kids and all the neighbors' would be out till after 10 running and squealing and laughing. It was music to my ears.

got dark around 9:15 for us, kick the can usually started around 7:30 after everyone had dinner...with their family...at the table...with no TV on...and games were epic and lasted until 10-10:30 or someone's mom yelled it was time to go inside...

Return to Top
#1955327 - 08/20/14 06:03 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
My brother and i used to play cross-country (cross pasture) golf with my dad's golf clubs. We'd pick one club each (he'd get the pitching wedge, i'd get the 9-iron) and we'd play from one end of the pasture (not just a flat pasture, lots of trees and ditches too) to the other.....i guess we were playing a par-27 hole.

Return to Top
#1955328 - 08/20/14 06:04 PM Re: Remembering the good old days Bacon Boy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy
Field Day on the last days of school, up through middle school. We'd have 3-legged races, wheelbarrow races, and many other races I can't remember. And only 3 place ribbons: first, second, third. If you didn't win this year, try harder next year.

well, that certainly explains the 5 years it took you to finish middle school shocked

Return to Top
#1955337 - 08/20/14 06:09 PM Re: Remembering the good old days edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
Now let us get back to the good old days of Happy ending up in the hospital and somehow living to tell about it.

anyone remember Lincoln Logs? kind of like poor man's legos...well, if you throw them at your old brother and hit him in the head and then he chases you and you think you can get away by climbing onto the top bunk bed and jumping off..don't be surprised if you land funny and break your ankle...also don't be surprised if your parents say "well, that's what you get for being mean to your brother."

Return to Top
#1955348 - 08/20/14 06:19 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I had to jump in on this discussion based on Happy's original post regarding helping those in need as it made me think of a trip we took to Ireland a couple of years ago.

We rented a car and were on our way to the Cliffs of Mohr at the end of the day when we were driving along one of their famous tiny roads where the stone walls go right to the edge of the road. Well, we heard two pops and had to pull over as we had two flat tires on the left side of the car. We were stuck on the side of the road at a place aptly named "Corkscrew Hill". Unfortunately our cell phones did not work, it was getting dark, started to rain so our only choice was to flag down a car for help. Surprisingly, the very first car stopped to assist and the driver let us use his cell to call for help. My friend had a couple of calls to make to the rental company and then the roadside assistance company. I asked the kindly stranger if he was in a hurry as I was apologizing on how long it was taking. He replied that yes, he was, but not to worry because we needed help.

Unbelievably at least half a dozen other cars stopped to ask us if we needed help while we waited for the tire truck to come. Finally after a couple of hours we were rescued (once again by an extremely friendly and helpful guy) and were on our way.

When we got to the hotel (even led there by the tire guy) we explained how our first day in Ireland went and the girl at the desk was so alarmed that our first day in Ireland was not a happy one she upgraded us to a suite to give us a happy memory.

I can't help but think how different it was over here in the US. How I would never dare to flag down a stranger here, never expect anyone to stop to assist nor have anyone care that we had a bad day. It's something we have found in our many trips to Europe and that is more of a sense of helpfulness and friendliness that I fear is lacking now in the US.

Return to Top
#1955354 - 08/20/14 06:28 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
One of several interests that have followed me through life is shooting sports, a hobby I had way back when. Upon reflection I'm amazed that times have changed with regards to attitudes toward firearms. In the early '70s our high school student parking lot was full of pickups (in those pre-extended cab/quad cab days) having gun racks in their rear windows festooned with long arms of all sorts. We'd all inspect each other's favorites or that newest acquisition before school or at lunch. No one ran amok. No accidents. No thefts. No guns were brought out to settle the "hippie" versus "goat-roper" fist fights that occurred. Not one single pop tart was gnawed into the shape of a gun, landing the elementary miscreant who would do such a deed into suspension either.

Return to Top
#1955364 - 08/20/14 06:47 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: edAudit
Now let us get back to the good old days of Happy ending up in the hospital and somehow living to tell about it.

anyone remember Lincoln Logs? kind of like poor man's legos...well, if you throw them at your old brother and hit him in the head and then he chases you and you think you can get away by climbing onto the top bunk bed and jumping off..don't be surprised if you land funny and break your ankle...also don't be surprised if your parents say "well, that's what you get for being mean to your brother."
I have my brother's Lincoln Logs and my grangirls still play with them with my husband.

I broke my collar bone when I jumped off the top bunk trying to get past my sister and got much the same response from my mother. laugh

Return to Top
#1955427 - 08/20/14 07:52 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
We had Lincoln Logs!!! And because of them, when I was about 24 a friend of mine and I got the bright idea to build a log cabin in the mountins near Red Cedar Oklahoma.
We had done it with lincoln Logs, how tough could it be?!?!
Well, we did get it built and used as a hunting cabin, but to say it was a learning experience would be misleading. Looking back its a miracle we didnt kill ourselves once the walls got over about 3ft tall! laugh
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 08/20/14 07:52 PM.

Return to Top
#1955471 - 08/20/14 08:31 PM Re: Remembering the good old days Bankbb1, PITA
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
When we were little (9 and 10 years old), my sister and I got into a fight and she locked me out of the house. I got so mad I kicked a hole in the door. Needless to say, I learned to control my temper a bit after Mom's "Anger Management" class. I don't remember my sister getting in trouble for locking me out in the first place...

Return to Top
#1955474 - 08/20/14 08:34 PM Re: Remembering the good old days RR Sarah
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
When we were little (9 and 10 years old), my sister and I got into a fight and she locked me out of the house. I got so mad I kicked a hole in the door. Needless to say, I learned to control my temper a bit after Mom's "Anger Management" class. I don't remember my sister getting in trouble for locking me out in the first place...

Hey, I did the *exact* same thing with my sister and ruined the screen door. My dad was pretty bent, but he was just such a nice guy he couldn't stay mad for long. I miss that guy.

Return to Top
#1955475 - 08/20/14 08:36 PM Re: Remembering the good old days MB Guy
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Yeah, my dad didn't say much, just fixed it and moved on. My mom on the other hand...lol

Return to Top
#1955478 - 08/20/14 08:37 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
LOL, you're not my sister are you?!?!?!?!? EXACTLY the same here!

Return to Top
#1955482 - 08/20/14 08:41 PM Re: Remembering the good old days MB Guy
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
laugh

I probably only need two fingers to count the number of times my dad ever spanked me. My mom kept a paddle on hand. When we got a little older her paddles would mysteriously disappear...into the wood burning stove. whistle

Return to Top
#1955546 - 08/21/14 11:04 AM Re: Remembering the good old days RR Sarah
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah

laugh I fixed the hole and repainted and no one was the wiser

CAMS

Return to Top
#1956861 - 08/26/14 01:32 AM Re: Remembering the good old days edAudit
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Found this very interesting article on the cause and effects the changes in playing have made over the years. Thought some of you here might want to read it too. It's called The Revolution will not be supervised. It's a bit of a read and the most interesting part is at the end. But I found it worth the effort.

Return to Top
#1956889 - 08/26/14 01:18 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Truff, that was a great article, thanks. I shared that with some family and friends, and my wife, lol.

Return to Top
#1956899 - 08/26/14 01:35 PM Re: Remembering the good old days HappyGilmore
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
TR, Thank you for sharing this.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5