Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#195535 - 06/01/04 03:59 PM Washington State
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I just got back from visiting Washington State for the weekend. My mom and my step-dad are moving from Chicago to Olympia, and they brought me and my sisters out to see the area and the new house.

I saw Seattle, took the ferry accross Puget Sound, ate at some cafe at one of the harbors (clam chowder was a lot better then I ever imagined it would be), went to the Quinalt Rain Forest (yes, a temporate rain forest, although I probably spelled it wrong), and saw Mount St. Helens. Mount St. Helens was by far the coolest part of the trip.

Anyone else been there?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#195536 - 06/01/04 04:07 PM Re: Washington State
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Yes, traveled to Seattle two years ago--stayed for a week. It was very cool.

Return to Top
#195537 - 06/01/04 04:14 PM Re: Washington State
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I live a few hour drive away from there. I've lived in Washington State all my life and can't imagine living anywhere else. I've visited other states and I really think Washington is beautiful.

Return to Top
#195538 - 06/01/04 04:23 PM Re: Washington State
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
My inlaws live on an island in Pugent Sound. Now living in Texas, I don't think we could ever get used to the overcast conditions of the northwest. It would be depressing to not see the sun and sweat like a pig for weeks or months on end. Isn't it true that the suicide rate per capita is much higher up there with it being so dreary all fall, winter and spring long ? It is beautiful at times though, try the ferry boats to the San Juan Islands, or a killer whale watching trip, or a ferry to British Columbia.

Return to Top
#195539 - 06/01/04 04:34 PM Re: Washington State
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I lived in Pasco, Washington for a very short time as a child. Not that beautiful....just sand dunes everywhere. A friend of mine is in Seattle and grew up in that general area....she loves it. I'm hoping to go visit sometime in the near future.

Return to Top
#195540 - 06/01/04 04:41 PM Re: Washington State
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
The climate in that area is really strange. With about 2-3 hours of driving, you can see: rainforest, desert, mountains and really flat valleys, and the biggest mountain (actually a volcano) in the lower 48!

Return to Top
#195541 - 06/01/04 05:59 PM Re: Washington State
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Ah, Summer in Seattle - the best 30 minutes all year!

Return to Top
#195542 - 06/01/04 06:03 PM Re: Washington State
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to be picky, but Mt. Whitney in California's Sierra Nevada is the tallest peak in the lower 48. But that doesn't much detract from the impressive tower of St. Helens. I live in Seattle, and I love it here. Although it's true that the sumemrs are short, they sure are nice when they roll around! (We still have another month or so before we can leave the house without checking the forecast for rain and cold.) I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and I hope you didn't get stuck on the burning Monorail yesterday!

Return to Top
#195543 - 06/01/04 06:14 PM Re: Washington State
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Although it's true that the sumemrs are short

The summers are so long here that we actually learn how to spell it!

Return to Top
#195544 - 06/01/04 06:17 PM Re: Washington State
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Quote:

Quote:

Although it's true that the sumemrs are short

The summers are so long here that we actually learn how to spell it!

I'm sure they know how to spell it, they just have to type so quickly their fingers get tangled up...

Return to Top
#195545 - 06/01/04 06:32 PM Re: Washington State
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haha! You got me! It's not far from the truth - not many people talk about the sun being out, but on a nice clear day when you can see Mt. Ranier you can hear everyone saying, "The mountain is out today."

Return to Top
#195546 - 06/01/04 06:46 PM Re: Washington State
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Mt Whitley is actually way the heck higher than St. Helens (only 9,600 something before eruption and 8,500 ish now). My brother was there when it blew and my brother in law helped dig up (that sounds gory…lets say “Find” the goofballs who stayed when they shouldn’t have. Whitley is 14,505 feet.

It's a little wimp compared to Denali though At 20,320 you're going to have to pile up a bunch of rocks on Whitley to get even close to our pretty peak.

I've spent most of my 40 years in Washington. My family is there as well as my ex-family heh heh. I'd disagree with the opinion that it's always rainy or cloudy. London is much worse! Some areas of WA are extremely rainy (Forks is in a lovely rain forest) but Sequim is in a rain shadow and you rarely see a drop. Eastern WA is very hot and very cold and Western is green most times.

I could write a book on what to see and do as someone who's grown up there. I just love the place.

By the way, close spelling on QuinaUlt Better than most do on their first try!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#195547 - 06/01/04 06:53 PM Re: Washington State
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Mt. Whitney - 14,494 feet
Mt. Rainier - 14,441 feet

I stand corrected.

Return to Top
#195548 - 06/01/04 06:56 PM Re: Washington State
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry but I can't let the inaccuracy, regarding mountains, stand. The tallest mountain in the lower 48 is Mount Whitney in California. It's 84 feet taller than Mount Rainer. I just had to clarify.

Return to Top
#195549 - 06/01/04 06:59 PM Re: Washington State
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Quote:

Mt. Whitney - 14,494 feet

And Death Valley, only a few miles from Mt. Whitney, is the lowest point in the continental US, at 282 feet below sea level.

You can even walk from one to the other , if you really want to....

Return to Top
#195550 - 06/01/04 07:06 PM Re: Washington State
Anonymous
Unregistered

My daughter is a recent law graduate of UW and has set up practice as an native american advocate in the NW. I spent a week with her and everyday from her house in the Queen Anne section of Seattle, I looked at the horizon through gray, evercast, drizzle. On the last day the sun came out and when I saw the mountains, I thought, "ohhhh, THAT's why people live here!" They actually get less rainfall than here on the east coast but they rarely get a hard downpour. Just a little everyday, kinda like a Chinese water torture.

Return to Top
#195551 - 06/01/04 08:01 PM Re: Washington State
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I have family in WA, and go there for vacation almost every year. I absolutely love it out there. The weather is wonderful in the summer: not much rain (and not very heavy when it does rain), no humidity, no bugs. The fruits are fabulous. The golf courses are plentiful and easy to get tee times. I love walking around Seattle, especially the downtown area: Pike's Place Market, Alaskan Way, taking the el from Westlake Center to Seattle Center. Dining at the top of the Space Needle is a real treat: one complete revolution per hour(sort of like some banana republics ). Go over to the locks between Lakes Union and Washington, and go underground to watch the salmon jump up the ladder on the other side of the glass. Safeco Field is a terrific stadium, with great views, various microbrews for sale, and garlic fries (you might as well eat them, because you're going to smell them anyway). After the games, you can get sausages outside the stadium at 2-for-1 prices.

I could keep going on, but I better get back to work, now that I've had my mental vacation.

Return to Top
#195552 - 06/01/04 08:02 PM Re: Washington State
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Are there a lot of tribes in Queen Anne now? It used to be such a hip yuppie place....

I have work for her here

Return to Top
#195553 - 06/01/04 08:18 PM Re: Washington State
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I did get to go to Pike's Place Market. Saw lots of fish throwing. We also made our way to locks and saw the salmon going up stream.

I didn't go to the Space Needle. My sister's vetoed it, cause they said "coming from Chicago, the space needle is not impressive." I, however, wanted to see it, but my family works in a democracy.

I'm going back next summer....I can't wait.

Return to Top
#195554 - 06/01/04 08:22 PM Re: Washington State
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Gosh I feel so stupid! I was in Chicago and forgot to go up their Space needle!!!!

(Next time drag her up. It's a short trip and a fabulous view of the Sound).

Return to Top
#195555 - 06/01/04 08:41 PM Re: Washington State
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
What kind of chowder do they have in Washington? I am from NY and I only know of Manhattan (which I don't like) and New England, yummy.

Return to Top
#195556 - 06/01/04 08:53 PM Re: Washington State
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

What kind of chowder do they have in Washington? I am from NY and I only know of Manhattan (which I don't like) and New England, yummy.

As I recall, you could only get New England style. But forget the chowder: the salmon is to die for. I won't order salmon in NJ anymore because Seattle spoiled it for me. My sister-in-law's family cooks it on the grill, with a basting sauce of butter, lime juice, and brown sugar (if memory serves me correctly). I've had salmon tacos, too, which were delicious. Stroll down to Alaskan Way along Eliot Bay, and go to Steamers, hard by the entrance to the Bremerton ferry. Wonderful fish, reasonably priced, and al fresco dining, should you so desire.

For the winos among you (Hi, Dawnie!), go up to Woodinville to the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery for a tour and tasting. Then go down the street to the Redhook Ale Brewery for another tour and tasting.

See, now you got me started again! I have to get back to work.

Return to Top