BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1955624 - 08/21/14 02:02 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Going from a totally out-of-control, eating just to dip, dipping even when you don't really 'want' a dip to a somewhat-controlled dipper feels like a big step. It's only a start, but it is at least that. smile

Return to Top
#1955625 - 08/21/14 02:05 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice CompliantOkie
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Things that may help,
! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?
WRONG! Nicotine binds to hemoglobin and a molecule of hemoglobin can only carry one other molecule, it can be nictine or it can be oxygen. It cant be both. Once you quit and you get it all out of your system, you will have more energy and endurance!

BBB Can you send a source for this? My hubby powerlifts and I wonder if maybe this little bit of info might spur him in the right direction?
Thanks!!!

It was an article that I read probably around 2005. I'll try to find it, or some other source.
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 08/21/14 02:33 PM.

Return to Top
#1955631 - 08/21/14 02:16 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Another option is to find a girlfriend who refuses to kiss you while you have a dip in or until you have brushed your teeth after...that might motivate you too.

Return to Top
#1955633 - 08/21/14 02:24 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice RR Jen
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Another option is to find a girlfriend who refuses to kiss you while you have a dip in or until you have brushed your teeth after...that might motivate you too.

That might indeed. I'm definitely open to it. smile

My ex-wife, even when we were dating, never minded me dipping. She'd even kiss me goodbye if i had a dip in. Dipping was a lot more socially acceptable then though (it seems to me). When i started dipping way back when, just about everyone in my peer group did it....girls just expected and accepted it.

Return to Top
#1955662 - 08/21/14 02:58 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
My husband used to dip, when he decided to quit it was up to him. It didn't matter what I said, or anyone else for that matter. He tried quitting a few times, and he always went back to it. He finally came to the decision to quit when he found out that cancer runs in his family and that dipping wasn't helping his odds.

He quit when he was out of town on a business trip. He pretty much did it cold turkey, but he kept an un-open can of his favorite dip in his pocket. He felt like that gave him comfort knowing that it was there it he truly needed to have it. (He never opened it). His other trick was when he did get an urge, he would roll over a small piece of paper towel and place it in his mouth where he would normally place the dip. Subconsciously, it helped him.
He has been dip-free over 10 years now, and still will look at a can of dip at the store and go "MMMMM." I look at him and remind him that our oldest daughter would give him the biggest riot act in the entire universe if he would even think about it.

Good luck raitchjay!! You can do this!!

Return to Top
#1955667 - 08/21/14 03:10 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The un-opened can in the pocket thing i totally get.....it does help just knowing that it's there. I'm sure my addiction is mental to some degree...i think my biggest challenge is after meals.....it's just pleasurable to me (and has always been a part of my life) to pack in a big dip after a satisfying meal.

Thanks for the encouragmenet lcrew.

Return to Top
#1955668 - 08/21/14 03:13 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Big wad of Chewing gum instead?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1955670 - 08/21/14 03:14 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ed, i do think that when i reach my actual quit date, i'm gonna need to start chewing some gum or something.

Return to Top
#1955718 - 08/21/14 03:56 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
You got this!! We're proud of you!!

Return to Top
#1955719 - 08/21/14 03:58 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks EGB. (I know you already 'knew' i was gonna quit.) smile

Return to Top
#1955730 - 08/21/14 04:11 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Yes, and I see you being very successful at quitting! (Not that there won't be some backsliding, but in the end? Totally successful.)

::cue spooky music::

Return to Top
#1955741 - 08/21/14 04:21 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
smile

Return to Top
#1955766 - 08/21/14 04:58 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
The un-opened can in the pocket thing i totally get.....it does help just knowing that it's there. I'm sure my addiction is mental to some degree...i think my biggest challenge is after meals.....it's just pleasurable to me (and has always been a part of my life) to pack in a big dip after a satisfying meal.

Thanks for the encouragmenet lcrew.

Make no mistake, the stuff is addictive as he11. They even formulate it to make it more addictive by increasing the nicotine content. BUt you are correct, it is the mental part that is the hardest. Depending on which study you go by, the junk is out of your system and you are clean within 30 days. BUt its the association with activities or time of day that is hard to get past. In other words, the "habit". Just know that you built that habit, so you are capapble of building new habits. Habits that do not include carcinogens. wink

Return to Top
#1955772 - 08/21/14 05:11 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Yes, i need to build a new habit...or just un-build this one.

Return to Top
#1955775 - 08/21/14 05:16 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
When my dad quit smoking in about 1985 - at 1-2 packs a day - he used chewing gum as his substitute. He chewed a LOT of gum for about 5 years, and he never went back. I know smoking and dipping are different, so I don't know if that would work for you.

Return to Top
#1955781 - 08/21/14 05:22 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think it might help....i'm considering it, especially as i get closer to my drop-dead date.

Return to Top
#1955783 - 08/21/14 05:23 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I think it might help....i'm considering it, especially as i get closer to my drop-dead date.

I think that all of us are getting closer to our drop-dead date.
laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1955785 - 08/21/14 05:23 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
You totally got this! Good luck, raitchjay. I'll keep you in my prayers, and send good thoughts your way. If you ever need encouragament, this is the place! I quit smoking years ago and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Forgive yourself if you mess up and each new sunrise is a new chance to start over. Slow and steady wins ANY race. smile

Return to Top
#1955788 - 08/21/14 05:41 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
laugh Ed...true.

I feel a little bit guilty at times...i mean, the average person looking at me today would just think "hmm...there's a guy that dips"....but small steps, small steps....

Thanks BurntSienna.

Return to Top
#1955803 - 08/21/14 06:15 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
quit smoking cold turkey many years ago after seeing a picture of myself with my daughter in one arm and a cigarette in my other hand. I still shudder at the image.

Your article is the same thing for you. As someone already suggested, keep it handy and reread as often as necessary.

I find it helps to substitute something else for whatever you're trying to give up. Substitute a walk for your current after dinner habit. Do a crossword. Anything that will take your mind off what you are not doing.

It takes 21 days to make something a habit. That's really not that long. Let me know when I should start the countdown to your new dip free habit! Good luck!

Return to Top
#1955805 - 08/21/14 06:18 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks TR.

Return to Top
#1955829 - 08/21/14 06:57 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Way to go raitchjay! I enjoy getting reading your updates and it looks like you have made good progress already.

Return to Top
#1955845 - 08/21/14 07:30 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice basilring
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: basilring
When my dad quit smoking in about 1985 - at 1-2 packs a day - he used chewing gum as his substitute. He chewed a LOT of gum for about 5 years, and he never went back. I know smoking and dipping are different, so I don't know if that would work for you.

My dad used caramels and peppermints to end his 40 year cigar habit. He quit cold turkey and never looked back, however....

5 years later he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. wink

You might want to go the gum route!

Return to Top
#1955861 - 08/21/14 08:01 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Haha...good idea. I'm doing ok today...haven't cheated...just 2 dips......last one later after supper.

Return to Top
#1955871 - 08/21/14 08:09 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
I had a coworker that got lip cancer at the age of 31 from chewing tobacco. His routine sounded about like yours and it scared him onto the straight and narrow. His wife was pregnant with their first child and he got a huge wakeup call. He started chewing gum, putting that shredded beef jerky or coffee grounds in instead of dip and finally he was able to quit. Sadly, he's missing a couple of front teeth from the cancer and part of his lower lip.

You can beat this! We've got faith in you!!!!! grin
Last edited by Sci_Comply; 08/21/14 08:22 PM.
Return to Top
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett