Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1955920 - 08/21/14 09:39 PM What do you think about when you run?
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I saw this topic the other day in a running blog, and the author said she thinks about things like what her funeral will be like, or she tells herself jokes.

When you out there alone, mile after mile, what's on your mind?

I tend to give lectures in my head, perhaps telling noone but me some useless bit of historical information. Sometimes it's things I would someday like to put in writing as part of the family history. Sometimes I'm running through an explanation of some of the more fascinating aspect of banking.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1955928 - 08/21/14 09:51 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I generally focus on trying not to die, and wondering why there are so many cracks in the sidewalk. I do my best to not think much. Sometimes I have songs pop into my head. From my run this morning, I don't even know what all I thought about. I know I thought "go up the hill. go faster. Good job, turn around and go back down it, and do it again". But beyond that, I look at my surroundings, and try to pretend there's always some good looking lady watching me so I focus on good form.

Return to Top
#1955929 - 08/21/14 09:53 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Why are the cops chasing me?

Return to Top
#1955977 - 08/22/14 12:27 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i count

Return to Top
#1955989 - 08/22/14 12:51 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? HappyGilmore
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I listen to music to try to keep thoughts out of my head, otherwise my mind will start drifting towards work issues crazy

Return to Top
#1955990 - 08/22/14 12:52 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
If I run, I think "Am I going to make it"

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1955993 - 08/22/14 01:01 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
I think what I am going to eat later. The further I run the more I can eat. I have 8 scheduled for tomorrow morning and we are going to a Reds game Saturday night. I figure after 8 miles, I can have a couple beers guilt free.

Return to Top
#1955995 - 08/22/14 01:02 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
When I was going through very difficult times several years ago, I had so much stress that it never really left my thoughts. Nothing like anger and frustration to help drive you to run 10 miles at a 7 minute a mile pace. The more upset I was the faster I would run. Thankfully I run slower now smile

Return to Top
#1955996 - 08/22/14 01:02 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? HappyGilmore
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
i count

I do math. laugh
I look at the pace I am running and figure out how long it would take me to run various distances at that exact pace. Doing this also lets me know where my hydration level is. The easier the math skills come, the better I am doing. When I stuggle to calculate what running a 13.1 mile course at a pace of 10:00 is, I know I am in trouble laugh laugh
That and I try to outrun the Zombies (I listen to the Zombies, Run! app about 75% of the time that I run).
Last edited by QCL; 08/22/14 01:04 PM.
Return to Top
#1955998 - 08/22/14 01:10 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Heart attack ... no-heart attack.

Is this what a stroke feels like. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1956005 - 08/22/14 01:19 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Matt_B
MonicaMc Offline
100 Club
MonicaMc
Land of Oz
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
why there are so many cracks in the sidewalk.

This.

Return to Top
#1956007 - 08/22/14 01:22 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
You know how when you're sitting around talking with people and you confess some quirky thing you do and then everyone says they do it to? I do that sometimes and usually that's the reaction i get. But this one is one where I expected to get the "me, too" reaction, but everyone just looked at me like a lunatic and couldn't relate.

In fact, I predict that no one in this thread relates, and i get thought of as a weirdo.

But when i run i put myself in a bunch of basically movie scenarios. Like, i'm Batman chasing the joker on rooftops, or i'm leading my team out into the super bowl. Or i'm one of the Avengers chasing down Loki.

Sometimes i think of personal stuff like an old high school basketball game. Except in this game we're losing at half time and we come out the second half like space jam or something. We just throw caution to the wind and are full court pressing and throwing alley oops and it's like Space Jam. Greatest comeback ever.

Return to Top
#1956012 - 08/22/14 01:28 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
That is awesome SM!!!

Return to Top
#1956022 - 08/22/14 01:42 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I can sort of relate, Stupendous Man. I think up stories and plots and characters. It's not necessarily me in there, but I live the story through the characters' eyes. Not exactly the same, but I don't think you're a weirdo. smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1956031 - 08/22/14 01:54 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
The person who is chasing me... cause that is the only reason I would be running!

Too out of shape... not meant to be because running is bad)

Return to Top
#1956065 - 08/22/14 02:20 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
You aren't entirely alone, SM. I don't do exactly the same thing, but I tend to just let my imagination wander at will and it comes up with some odd things sometimes - like what running would be like if I was a hobbit.

Return to Top
#1956092 - 08/22/14 02:49 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Many times when running before sunrise, I'm thinking "Is that dog on a chain?"

Return to Top
#1956096 - 08/22/14 02:51 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Many times when running before sunrise, I'm thinking "Is that dog on a chain?"

laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1956111 - 08/22/14 03:07 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
When I can stop...

Return to Top
#1956114 - 08/22/14 03:10 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Inhale 3...exhale 3....omg...I'm going to die.

Why does this look at easy on TV??
Last edited by MonkEE; 08/22/14 03:10 PM.

Return to Top
#1956116 - 08/22/14 03:12 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Stupendous Man
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
You know how when you're sitting around talking with people and you confess some quirky thing you do and then everyone says they do it to? I do that sometimes and usually that's the reaction i get. But this one is one where I expected to get the "me, too" reaction, but everyone just looked at me like a lunatic and couldn't relate.

In fact, I predict that no one in this thread relates, and i get thought of as a weirdo.

But when i run i put myself in a bunch of basically movie scenarios. Like, i'm Batman chasing the joker on rooftops, or i'm leading my team out into the super bowl. Or i'm one of the Avengers chasing down Loki.

Sometimes i think of personal stuff like an old high school basketball game. Except in this game we're losing at half time and we come out the second half like space jam or something. We just throw caution to the wind and are full court pressing and throwing alley oops and it's like Space Jam. Greatest comeback ever.

The whole "Zombie Apocolypse Running App" is basically built around this idea! :

As for me. I think about everything from, the state of the planet to "breath in, breath out"!

Return to Top
#1956118 - 08/22/14 03:13 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Bankbb1, PITA
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I sure hope I wake from this dream soon

Return to Top
#1956134 - 08/22/14 03:43 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
I'm usually by myself after work running so these are the sad little topics that plague me: (in no particular order)
* Kidnappers
* Murderers
* Crazy drivers that might hit me
* Loose dogs that could bite me
* Human traffickers
* I hope those group of teenage boys don't think I'll be their victim in their "knockout game"
* I hope I don't break my ankle on these stupid "historic" limestone sidewalks/roads.

crazy

Return to Top
#1956141 - 08/22/14 03:52 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Sci_Comply
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
I'm usually by myself after work running so these are the sad little topics that plague me: (in no particular order)
* Kidnappers
* Murderers
* Human traffickers
* I hope those group of teenage boys don't think I'll be their victim in their "knockout game"
* I hope I don't break my ankle on these stupid "historic" limestone sidewalks/roads.

crazy

A little paranoid, but it should make you really fast!
No clowns?
laugh
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 08/22/14 03:52 PM.

Return to Top
#1956142 - 08/22/14 03:52 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Sci_Comply
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
* Kidnappers
* Murderers
* Human traffickers

crazy

Good thing that you are running for your health laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3