Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1956144 - 08/22/14 03:56 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
The majority of the time I run with a group and we chat the whole way. Our conversations have a very normal progression:

Groaning - Let's go get this over with, why does it take a half mile to warm up?
B!tching - Typically it's about work first, then spouses, possibly mother in laws, then kids
Gossip - we all live in small towns, this ranges from who did I go on a date with last to who missed church
Running - What is our next long run? Who's doing the race this weekend? When are we doing speed work?
Food - we always end with food. What did we eat that day? Have we burned it off? What are we going to eat after? When is the next group birthday so we can have a cupcake run?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1956149 - 08/22/14 04:00 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? RR Jen
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
The majority of the time I run with a group and we chat the whole way. Our conversations have a very normal progression:

Groaning - Let's go get this over with, why does it take a half mile to warm up?
B!tching - Typically it's about work first, then spouses, possibly mother in laws, then kids
Gossip - we all live in small towns, this ranges from who did I go on a date with last to who missed church
Running - What is our next long run? Who's doing the race this weekend? When are we doing speed work?
Food - we always end with food. What did we eat that day? Have we burned it off? What are we going to eat after? When is the next group birthday so we can have a cupcake run?

Not that she's OCD or anything.....
laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1956154 - 08/22/14 04:09 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Bankbb1, PITA
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
A little paranoid, but it should make you really fast!
No clowns?
laugh
I did forget that!
* Pennywise when I run by the storm drains

Return to Top
#1956170 - 08/22/14 04:47 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? Bankbb1, PITA
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
I think about everything from, the state of the planet to "breath in, breath out"!

My stream of consciousness would go something like, "Breathe in, breathe out....breathe in, breathe out...machine head, better than the rest....why don't foreign singers sound like they have accents during their songs?...why do all fictional characters from other worlds sound British?...Legolas is hot...holy carp it's hot out here...d@mn bugs...I wonder if elves could outrun bugs...

Return to Top
#1956176 - 08/22/14 04:54 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
As long as you can run in a (semi) straight line, who cares how wonky your stream of thought is! Sounds exhausting though wink

Return to Top
#1956182 - 08/22/14 04:59 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Meh...that's only if I run outside. Most days I'm on the dreadmill and read whatever book I've got going on the Kindle while I run.

Return to Top
#1956183 - 08/22/14 05:03 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
When I started running, it was "oh my gosh I'm going to die, keep going, owwww, keep going, breathe, don't forget to breathe."

In the middle, when I was growing more accustomed to running, it was very stream of consciousness, random thoughts and a lot of working on whatever writing project I'm in the middle of.

Post-knee-surgery, it's "ow, ow, ow, stop being a baby, ow ow ow, ouchhhhhhh, stupid knee, ok walk a block now, breathe, breathe, ok run again, ow ow ow." frown I can't wait to be able to run more than 1 block at a time. Yes, I am resuming running under strict guidance from doctor, phys therapist, and personal trainer. My brain wants it back in my life, my knee not so much. laugh laugh laugh Soon!

Return to Top
#1956207 - 08/22/14 05:43 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Before I started my new job, I thought a lot about my old boss, and the anger would keep me going. Now im' in a much better situation, and I tend to let my mind wander.

But the times when I'm running and feel like giving up, I start thinking about my grandfather in WWII, weighing 135 pounds and carrying a 20 pound B.A.R. I imagine him running from spot to spot, advancing, with his sergeant yelling at him to run. I know those guys did it because they had to, but it gives me motivation to stop my bit**ing and keep running.

Return to Top
#1956222 - 08/22/14 06:03 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
"Big bear chase me" - Chet Ripley (John Candy) in The Great Outdoors smile

Return to Top
#1956358 - 08/22/14 09:06 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Just make sure you've got your shotgun lamp and you'll be fine. (as long as it's plugged in wink )

Return to Top
#1956385 - 08/22/14 09:47 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
If taking the last doughnut from the box just as the CFO was reaching for it was a good idea.

Return to Top
#1956392 - 08/22/14 09:54 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Well....if you see me running, you better start running too because that means something is chasing me!

Return to Top
#1956412 - 08/22/14 10:44 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
My favorite T shirt.

"Bomb Squad, If you see me running, try to keep up."
laugh

Return to Top
#1956416 - 08/22/14 11:12 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I think of a Big Mac Attack!!!

Return to Top
#1956482 - 08/25/14 01:40 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I sing songs in my head, usually end up with some stupid song with a repeditive beat, like S-s-s-A-a-a-F-f-f-f-E-e-e-e-e-T-t-t-Y-y-y safe safe safe dance dance dance.

Your welcome for the ear worm smirk

Return to Top
#1956507 - 08/25/14 02:17 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
In chronological order, from past to present:

1. The #1 rule in Zombieland: Cardio. Focusing on how pathetic it would be to not be able to make it to the 1-mile marker with a pack of them behind me. How a non-runner like me would be eaten rather than escaping on foot.

2. Then it devolved into laziness, with an intense focus on how much I truly hate running, why am I doing this, I’m causing tremendous strain to ankles and knees, impact jolts to bones, this is the worst human activity ever devised, I'm going to get weird bone symptoms in my shins and feet, why would anyone ever do this, etc.

3. Now I don’t run ever if I can help it, but while doing other forms of exercise, I always give thanks for what I have in my life, both at home and at work.

Return to Top
#1956669 - 08/25/14 06:06 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
PATSGirl74 Offline
PATSGirl74
Massachusetts
I listen to music and my mind always wonders around from thought to thought ... usually settling on how poor my lung capacity truly is and why it never gets better

Return to Top
#1956803 - 08/25/14 08:58 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
The amount of pain I am in...

Return to Top
#1956812 - 08/25/14 09:10 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
On this Sunday's trail run it was:

Horseflies...Spiders...Seed Ticks...OH MY!

Return to Top
#1956912 - 08/26/14 02:00 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I had larger critters today: three dogs, two cats and a big whitetail doe about 15 yards from me.

Return to Top
#1957059 - 08/26/14 06:24 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
We has some squirrels that sounded like elephants running through the leaves and an armadillo.

Return to Top
#1957085 - 08/26/14 07:14 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Saw an old Friends episode where phoebe and Rachael were running, and phoebe ran with arms and legs flailing crazy like, then by the end of the show Rachael did too.

I then thought of this thread and tried seeing all of you running like phoebe laugh

Return to Top
#1957483 - 08/27/14 06:36 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
In this heat, no one runs,
no one even breaths.
We just sit in pools of sweat hoping no customers see the wet spots on our cloths.
Last edited by Wolfy; 08/27/14 08:28 PM.

Return to Top
#1957491 - 08/27/14 06:44 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Because I've read here about people who think about their breathing, today I started thinking about it, trying to count step per breath. All of sudden, I couldn't breathe. I had to stop thinking about it and start looking for animals again. Today: one cat, one startled (deaf?) puppy who didn't hear me coming, and one dead skunk in the middle of the road. Yeah, I had that song in my head for the next mile.

Return to Top
#1957512 - 08/27/14 07:14 PM Re: What do you think about when you run? MyBrainHurts
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Interesting...last night during speed work, my intervals were much faster when I focused on leveling out my breathing instead of taking the short panicked OMG I'M GONNA DIE breaths.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3