BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1955341 - 08/20/14 06:12 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Good idea. I'm torn between wanting to go gradual and cold turkey.

Return to Top
#1955363 - 08/20/14 06:44 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Have you calculated how much it costs you per month/per year? I like Matt's idea of putting that money away and buying yourself something as a reward.

Return to Top
#1955365 - 08/20/14 06:48 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I actually was doing that earlier today.....i spend about $135/month on it, or $1620/year. It's definitely a good idea.

Return to Top
#1955375 - 08/20/14 07:03 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Rip that article out of the magazine and fold it up and put it in your billfold. Every time you're tempted, take it back out. Read it, look at it, think about it... whatever it takes. As a reminder... similar to what RR Jen said above.

Return to Top
#1955387 - 08/20/14 07:19 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I got the app "Get Rich or Die Smoking". Only Android has it but you put your numbers in and it's a great incentive...they may have a 'dip' one!! Unfortunately, Iphone has nothing comparable.

Tapering off is what one Doctor said worked for him and suggested to me...only it was one cig less/day each week. It didn't work for me,although the theory is great, BUT, the cutting out certain 'habit' ones, like you mention DID help me cut down.

Having said all of that, I ended up vaping (not the ecigs most people think of and are familiar with)...and quit smoking January 11, 2014. That was 221 days ago...3980 cigs or 200 packs ago. I've saved approx $895.51 and have not inhaled 39g 800 mg of TAR!!! (according to the app)

If I can do it..you can do it...why? Cause, caligirl said you are much bigger than a can of tobacco...which is true. You are WAY taller than I am. So if I can...you can! smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1955397 - 08/20/14 07:29 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice RR Jen
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Find someone to text

RHJ, let me know if you need my number

I have some great selfies stored on my phone too, just sayin'

Return to Top
#1955399 - 08/20/14 07:29 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
::High 5:: Joker!!!

Return to Top
#1955400 - 08/20/14 07:30 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I walked away from cigs over two years ago. Just put them down and have never looked back. My mother in law forgot her cigs and lighter in my car and I never thought twice about it and drove them over to her house.

But I can't stop the Pepsi. It's taken the place of cigs. That is a mistake you don't want to even start rj - a crutch! I'm up 40 pounds now. I want to stop so bad but have every excuse in the book.

Let's make a pact rj. What do you say? Maybe a little healthy competition will help it? Stress the "healthy" Or a bet?

HELP!

Return to Top
#1955405 - 08/20/14 07:33 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Have you tried the Nicorette nicotine lozenges? They dissolve slowly and go between your teeth and your gums (much like dip, I think?) Might be a good temporary fix.

Return to Top
#1955406 - 08/20/14 07:33 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice RR Joker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
I got the app "Get Rich or Die Smoking". Only Android has it but you put your numbers in and it's a great incentive...they may have a 'dip' one!! Unfortunately, Iphone has nothing comparable.

Tapering off is what one Doctor said worked for him and suggested to me...only it was one cig less/day each week. It didn't work for me,although the theory is great, BUT, the cutting out certain 'habit' ones, like you mention DID help me cut down.

Having said all of that, I ended up vaping (not the ecigs most people think of and are familiar with)...and quit smoking January 11, 2014. That was 221 days ago...3980 cigs or 200 packs ago. I've saved approx $895.51 and have not inhaled 39g 800 mg of TAR!!! (according to the app)

If I can do it..you can do it...why? Cause, caligirl said you are much bigger than a can of tobacco...which is true. You are WAY taller than I am. So if I can...you can! smile

Congrats! That is so very awesome. I hope it gets easier for you every single day that goes by!

Return to Top
#1955413 - 08/20/14 07:40 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I dipped (Copenhagen and Garrett) for 23 years, Smoked a pipe and cigars for the better part of 10. I can tell you that there is only one reason that you can quit and that is for you. I have not touched a tobacoo product for over 7 years now and I have no desire for it whatsoever. But I completely view myslef as an addict. A recovering addict, but still an addict. I wish I could tell you this great process, but I quit when I had shoulder surgery. I just woke up from anesthesia and never touched it again.
Things that may help,
Look at those articles regularly and realize that its not that could be you, that IS you.
Take a look at some pics from the internet of the end result. They are gruesome and you dont want to be one of them!
What always gets us is the thought that it happens to someone else not me and that I have time..... both are lies we tell ourselves.
I would also tell you that you will not belive how much better you will feel after you quit and get it all cleared form your system!!! Its night and day! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?
WRONG! Nicotine binds to hemoglobin and a molecule of hemoglobin can only carry one other molecule, it can be nictine or it can be oxygen. It cant be both. Once you quit and you get it all out of your system, you will have more energy and endurance!
It is not easy, but remember that other humans, many with much less capapbilty than you possess, have done this. SO can you!
Good luck and use this forum for accountablity and support!!
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 08/20/14 07:40 PM.

Return to Top
#1955415 - 08/20/14 07:42 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice HRH Okie Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker
I walked away from cigs over two years ago. Just put them down and have never looked back. My mother in law forgot her cigs and lighter in my car and I never thought twice about it and drove them over to her house.

But I can't stop the Pepsi. It's taken the place of cigs. That is a mistake you don't want to even start rj - a crutch! I'm up 40 pounds now. I want to stop so bad but have every excuse in the book.

Let's make a pact rj. What do you say? Maybe a little healthy competition will help it? Stress the "healthy" Or a bet?

HELP!

I'm in (i say that in as much honesty as i can.....i can't guarantee anything...but i'm trying). I'm currently in the midst of what would be a dip-time for me, and i'm holding firm without one.

Return to Top
#1955435 - 08/20/14 07:53 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
I smoked. Quit. Smoked again. Quit back in February 2011. Did it for over 20 years.

If you really want to quit you will succeed. You'll need to find something else to take place of dipping. I turned to exercising and trying to be healthier. And Diet Dr. Pepper. To be truthful, I turned to exercising so I could eat cake blush

Return to Top
#1955465 - 08/20/14 08:20 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I've been trying to eat better lately too....i've lost 10 lbs. over the last couple of months...would like to lose about 10 more. I actually used to smoke too (occasionally still do, but only when drinking beer and playing poker).

Return to Top
#1955467 - 08/20/14 08:21 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice Bankbb1, PITA
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Things that may help,
! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?
WRONG! Nicotine binds to hemoglobin and a molecule of hemoglobin can only carry one other molecule, it can be nictine or it can be oxygen. It cant be both. Once you quit and you get it all out of your system, you will have more energy and endurance!

BBB Can you send a source for this? My hubby powerlifts and I wonder if maybe this little bit of info might spur him in the right direction?
Thanks!!!

Return to Top
#1955470 - 08/20/14 08:31 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
raitchjay I applaud your decision. I can only imagine the challange it will be but I am here to cheer you on! You will do it.

Return to Top
#1955472 - 08/20/14 08:32 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks RC.

Return to Top
#1955529 - 08/20/14 10:55 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I actually was doing that earlier today.....i spend about $135/month on it, or $1620/year. It's definitely a good idea.

That's a good amount for a vacation somewhere. smile

Return to Top
#1955547 - 08/21/14 11:16 AM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice CompliantOkie
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Things that may help,
! As a dipper we always think its not the same a smokers cause we arent inhaling anything, right?

BBB Can you send a source for this? My hubby powerlifts and I wonder if maybe this little bit of info might spur him in the right direction?
Thanks!!!

Sorry I found the opposite so I decline to send the cite. but will keep on looking

CAMS

Return to Top
#1955616 - 08/21/14 01:50 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Only 4 dips yesterday.....skipped my first dip this morning...the plan is for only 3. The next step i think is to shorten the amount of time i keep them in.

Return to Top
#1955618 - 08/21/14 01:53 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My husband is now 4 years smoke-free after roughly 20 years of being a smoker. He'd tried to quit several times in the past, and used everything from gum to Chantixx. This time patches helped him out some but he says the biggest difference was that this time he really wanted to quit. It's all about you, my friend.

Best of luck!

Return to Top
#1955619 - 08/21/14 01:57 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Becca....it's kinda cool...i'm trying to enjoy the 'clean' feeling when i don't have a dip....and telling myself 'this isn't that hard'.....so far, i like where it's going. I think i just need to stay on course though and not rush the process, if that makes sense.

Return to Top
#1955621 - 08/21/14 01:59 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I was thinking about you this morning, raitchjay. Glad things are progressing. Remember - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Return to Top
#1955622 - 08/21/14 01:59 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Certainly does. If it helps any, he was down to only a couple of cigs a day (just when driving) when the quit finally stuck. smile

Return to Top
#1955623 - 08/21/14 02:00 PM Re: Need some quitting tobacco advice raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Skittles...the positive thoughts help a lot.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett