Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Thread Options
#1980655 - 12/03/14 06:00 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

These don't seem to mesh. If you agree that he believed his life was threatened, how was it not necessarily necessary to take action to save it?

Well because I think there very well may have been a non-lethal way to subdue the suspect.

Stop right there.
No.
A non-lethal way to subdue? Why? The suspect has already used lethal force against a peace officer.

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

police are trained that if they pull their weapon and are suing it, they are in a shoot to kill scenario, not shoot to wound.

not all police departments carry tasers, so not sure how non-lethal force would be used as Brown was significanlty larger than Wilson.

I imagine (never having been in the situation) if you feel your life is threatened, the last thing you are thinking is "how can I subdue this guy before he takes my life." You're thinking "i need to put him down before he puts me down."

Only in the movies can you shoot them in the knees seemingly at will, in real life it is not that easy. You aim for center mass.

yes, he was larger, but he was also already wounded and Wilson had mace and a baton available to him at the time of the last shot.

There are thousands of instances in the country every year where cops are attacked by larger men. They dont shoot them all 6 times.

i want cops to be able to defend themselves and use their gun if that's the only way. But i want them to have the training and other options available so that the bar for having to use lethal force is higher than civillians.
Why do you get to make the call of what is the "only way"?

You shoot until your target is down.
Period. Regardless of the number of shots.

You do not get to make the call regarding when and when not to use lethal force. The police officer with years of training does.

You can armchair quarter-back this all you want, but as the wife of a LEO, at the end of the day, I want him coming home to me. He has been shot at. He wears Kevlar to work. He has pulled his gun, many times. And so far has not had to use it.

While you sit in the comfort of your bank desk, he has been punched, hit, slapped, bit, spit on, and had a gun pointed at him. He has been the "first one" in the door MANY times in his role as the SWAT commander.

He has had YEARS of training. He has had years on the street. And if his life is in danger, he is going to take the threat down.

Honestly, when you are the first one through the door, you can make this call.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1980657 - 12/03/14 06:02 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
^This

Return to Top
#1980659 - 12/03/14 06:04 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Blade Scrapper
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Blade Scrapper
^This

and this as well

CAMS

Return to Top
#1980665 - 12/03/14 06:08 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Here's an enthused third vote for QCL's most perceptive post.

Return to Top
#1980673 - 12/03/14 06:19 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
^^^^ ditto

Return to Top
#1980681 - 12/03/14 06:41 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
^^^Me too!!!

Return to Top
#1980689 - 12/03/14 06:46 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Glad you piped up, Liver. I'd been waiting.... wink

Return to Top
#1980690 - 12/03/14 06:45 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't there and I don’t know for this particular case. And that's one of the reasons I've been trying to shift from the particulars of this situation to the overall big picture issues. But, just as a member of society, I do get to voice my opinion on what standard I want from the people we appoint to uphold the law and grant the ability to use force. And I don’t think I should be silent if I see a potential issue.

Originally Posted By: QCL

You do not get to make the call regarding when and when not to use lethal force. The police officer with years of training does.

He has had YEARS of training. He has had years on the street. And if his life is in danger, he is going to take the threat down.

You seem to be making this very personal as though I think the cops have to answer to me individually. I’m not saying that. I’m saying they have to answer to society at large, and I’m giving my opinion as part of that society. You also seem to be saying, hey my husband is a great guy, just let him do his job. And he probably is a great guy and great cop, but I am not talking about him individually.

Yes, of course, in the heat of the moment he gets to make that call. But I think that if we are going to give the police the authority to use that kind of force, then as a society we can, and should, first set the parameters for its use and then review situations where it is applied--and have consequences if those parameters are exceeded.

If you disagree with me that the Ferguson incident was justifiable AND necessary, OK. I’m looking at the situation and saying that it looks similar to stuff that happens all the time across the country that the vast majority of those end in non-lethal ways. But I’m more than willing to admit I don’t know the particulars and don’t have the experience or resources to know with any kind of certainty. There could very well be all kinds of reasons why this incident was different than the rest. But it seems like you’re implying it shouldn’t be questioned at all. Or that anyone who isn’t a cop should not have any opinions on what authority they should have.

Return to Top
#1980706 - 12/03/14 07:13 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
You seem to be saying that parameters for use of force are not already dictated by statute.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...;SeqEnd=9300000

Please see the criminal code for your state for specifics.

Please also see the following:

http://www.mtu15.com/PEACE%20OFFICERS%20USE%20OF%20FORCE%20IN%20ILLINOIS.pdf

And this:
http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/uof.pdf

And this:
http://lmscnt.ileas.isp.state.il.us/production/cninv000000000003071/content.pdf

And this:
https://www.iletsbei.com/docs/publications/PURGUIDE.pdf

Return to Top
#1980707 - 12/03/14 07:14 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
There are thousands of instances in the country every year where cops are attacked by larger men.

do you have a cite for this or are you making generalizations or assumptions.

I'm curious if you know how many people were killed by police last year in the United States, and how many were black men?

Last edited by HappyGilmore; 12/03/14 07:14 PM.

Return to Top
#1980708 - 12/03/14 07:14 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Well said, QCL!

ETA: and personally, if I'm not willing to put my shoulder next to the LEO's and address the threat head-on, I don't feel like I get to judge how he handled it after the fact. If he followed procedure and reacted accordingly to the situation (which appears to have been the case) then all of this argument is unwarranted.
Last edited by RR Becca; 12/03/14 07:17 PM.

Return to Top
#1980711 - 12/03/14 07:19 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Here's a cite Happy - 57 Police Officers Fatally Shot by 'Unarmed' Suspects

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Calif...narmed-Suspects

And here are the 2013 stats:
76 law enforcement officers were killed in line-of-duty incidents in 2013. Of these, 27 law enforcement officers died as a result of felonious acts, and 49 officers died in accidents. In addition, 49,851 officers were victims of line-of-duty assaults.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-r...d-and-assaulted

Return to Top
#1980712 - 12/03/14 07:20 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

But I think that if we are going to give the police the authority to use that kind of force, then as a society we can, and should, first set the parameters for its use and then review situations where it is applied--and have consequences if those parameters are exceeded.

I believe there are already laws on the books pertaining to the parameters for when deadly force is justified. I can think of a couple of cases in the past few years where police used deadly force when it was not warranted and those police have either pled before trial or gone to trial and some were convicted (and i'm sure if i did a google search i could find many others). as far as consequences in Ferguson, is the grand jury that was convened not consequences for his action, and he was absolved? or do you mean some other consequences.

Return to Top
#1980715 - 12/03/14 07:28 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't there and I don’t know for this particular case. And that's one of the reasons I've been trying to shift from the particulars of this situation to the overall big picture issues. But, just as a member of society, I do get to voice my opinion on what standard I want from the people we appoint to uphold the law and grant the ability to use force. And I don’t think I should be silent if I see a potential issue.

You seem to be making this very personal as though I think the cops have to answer to me individually. I’m not saying that. I’m saying they have to answer to society at large, and I’m giving my opinion as part of that society. You also seem to be saying, hey my husband is a great guy, just let him do his job. And he probably is a great guy and great cop, but I am not talking about him individually.

Yes, of course, in the heat of the moment he gets to make that call. But I think that if we are going to give the police the authority to use that kind of force, then as a society we can, and should, first set the parameters for its use and then review situations where it is applied--and have consequences if those parameters are exceeded.

If you disagree with me that the Ferguson incident was justifiable AND necessary, OK. I’m looking at the situation and saying that it looks similar to stuff that happens all the time across the country that the vast majority of those end in non-lethal ways. But I’m more than willing to admit I don’t know the particulars and don’t have the experience or resources to know with any kind of certainty. There could very well be all kinds of reasons why this incident was different than the rest. But it seems like you’re implying it shouldn’t be questioned at all. Or that anyone who isn’t a cop should not have any opinions on what authority they should have.

"Yeah, you're right, I wasn't there and I don’t know for this particular case."

In the interest of good Forum debate: Yeah, you're right. You don't know. America doesn't know. America wasn't there and doesn't know about this particular case. We can read transcripts, surmise, speculate on hyped news.

"it looks similar to stuff that happens all the time across the country..."

Looks can be deceiving. Especially to the unlearned. What sort of "stuff" is this that is supposedly happening? "Stuff" required more explanation.

We can't all know the events of that day but we need to examine why Brown's demise had to become a lightning rod for every unrelated grievance, whether it be against "race", "the system", the escalation of force, or just generally the "unfairness" of it all?

Do you really think all this national hand-wringing is necessary BECAUSE of this particular case? Why dither about it? Why manipulated it to include one's personal axe to grind? Why pillage and burn over it?

There are answers to these questions. We need to honestly acknowledge what those answers are.

Return to Top
#1980716 - 12/03/14 07:31 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't there and I don’t know for this particular case. And that's one of the reasons I've been trying to shift from the particulars of this situation to the overall big picture issues. But, just as a member of society, I do get to voice my opinion on what standard I want from the people we appoint to uphold the law and grant the ability to use force. And I don’t think I should be silent if I see a potential issue. Actually, you only get to truly voice your opinion through voting for a police chief and other government officials who control the standards for police hires.

You seem to be making this very personal as though I think the cops have to answer to me individually. I’m not saying that. I’m saying they have to answer to society at large, and I’m giving my opinion as part of that society. Police don't work for society any more than a postman works for society. You also seem to be saying, hey my husband is a great guy, just let him do his job. And he probably is a great guy and great cop, but I am not talking about him individually.

Yes, of course, in the heat of the moment he gets to make that call. But I think that if we are going to give the police the authority to use that kind of force, then as a society we can, and should, first set the parameters for its use and then review situations where it is applied--and have consequences if those parameters are exceeded. Again, they don't work for society AND, as QCL pointed out, the parameters are set...in the stone of state laws.

If you disagree with me that the Ferguson incident was justifiable AND necessary, OK. I’m looking at the situation and saying that it looks similar to stuff that happens all the time across the country that the vast majority of those end in non-lethal ways. And here is the crux of the matter. The vast majority DO end in non-lethal ways. Why is it that when one incident doesn't, no one assumes that the bad guy deserved it, rather than the cop over-reacted? But I’m more than willing to admit I don’t know the particulars and don’t have the experience or resources to know with any kind of certainty. There could very well be all kinds of reasons why this incident was different than the rest. But it seems like you’re implying it shouldn’t be questioned at all. Or that anyone who isn’t a cop should not have any opinions on what authority they should have.
She never said or implied anything to take away your Constitutional right to voice your opinion. She did, however, strongly disagree with your opinion based on her one degree of separation knowledge of the reality of being a cop. Neither you nor I can possibly begin to dispute that.

Return to Top
#1980721 - 12/03/14 07:37 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? HappyGilmore
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
There are thousands of instances in the country every year where cops are attacked by larger men.

do you have a cite for this or are you making generalizations or assumptions.

I'm curious if you know how many people were killed by police last year in the United States, and how many were black men?

No, that's one limitation. it doesn't appear that there is a real great database anywhere:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-the-police-kill-each-year/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

I'm making assumptions based on some other vaguely similar studies like the baldus study and general psychological studies of racial bias. In all sincerity, if you know of any studies that show a lack of it by law enforcement I'd love to read it.

You seem to be saying that parameters for use of force are not already dictated by statute.

Please see the criminal code for your state for specifics.

Please also see the following:

http://www.mtu15.com/PEACE%20OFFICERS%20USE%20OF%20FORCE%20IN%20ILLINOIS.pdf

And this:
http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/uof.pdf

And this:
http://lmscnt.ileas.isp.state.il.us/production/cninv000000000003071/content.pdf

And this:
https://www.iletsbei.com/docs/publications/PURGUIDE.pdf

I believe there are already laws on the books pertaining to the parameters for when deadly force is justified. I can think of a couple of cases in the past few years where police used deadly force when it was not warranted and those police have either pled before trial or gone to trial and some were convicted (and i'm sure if i did a google search i could find many others).

Yeah, and I've repeatedly agreed that this was justified. I'm not saying there are no laws or that they are horrible, I'm saying we should reconsider them. Not even saying specific changes, just pointing out issues that I'd like to be considered.

as far as consequences in Ferguson, is the grand jury that was convened not consequences for his action, and he was absolved? or do you mean some other consequences.

I mean in general. I felt QCL was saying I (and by extension, anyone who isn't a cop) shouldn't make the call. I was agreeing that we shouldn't make the call--that's for the cop in the situation, but we (as a society) should get to review that call afterwards and if it was erroneous (or worse) and impose consequences to try and prevent it from happening in the future.

Return to Top
#1980734 - 12/03/14 07:50 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"but we (as a society) should get to review that call afterwards and if it was erroneous (or worse) and impose consequences to try and prevent it from happening in the future."

That happened it was called the Grand Jury process which ended without a charge and was only brought to the Grand Jury because after the prosecutor reviewed the evidence he did not have the guts to say that there was no case.
Last edited by edAudit; 12/03/14 07:51 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1980739 - 12/03/14 07:56 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
yes, for that specific case. I'm saying we should review our overall approach to the use of police force. take some time to reconsider what exact authority we want to grant. And I haven't even advocated specific changes--from the start I've said I'm not even sure what direction we should go:

So the question is, what kind of accountability do you want for the cops? The same standard as everyone else? Higher, since they are authority figures and have training? Lower, since they are called in to confront these dangerous situations and don't exactly have the option to walk away?

Return to Top
#1980742 - 12/03/14 08:03 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
yes, for that specific case. I'm saying we should review our overall approach to the use of police force. take some time to reconsider what exact authority we want to grant. And I haven't even advocated specific changes--from the start I've said I'm not even sure what direction we should go:

So the question is, what kind of accountability do you want for the cops? The same standard as everyone else? Higher, since they are authority figures and have training? Lower, since they are called in to confront these dangerous situations and don't exactly have the option to walk away?

as posted above (for IL)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1980744 - 12/03/14 08:06 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1980745 - 12/03/14 08:08 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
And again I'll repeat, the only way the public gets to review or reconsider is through the process of election. Riots, protests, etc., do nothing productive. The US has a system in place, for better or for worse. Work within the system to change the system. Quit railing against instances like Ferguson. Rather use instances like Ferguson as an example of why and what should change and work for that change.

But having just watched how hard a family member worked to get elected to work for changes, I can understand why most people chose to just opine.

Return to Top
#1980750 - 12/03/14 08:12 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Truffle Royale
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
And again I'll repeat, the only way the public gets to review or reconsider is through the process of election. Riots, protests, etc., do nothing productive.

i might disagree with protests--if done properly they can get the issue brought to light and lead to the election and voting things you advocate.

but yeah, i think riots and looting are bad.

Return to Top
#1980755 - 12/03/14 08:18 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Protests can be productive if they are well organized and conducted within the bounds of the law. There's currently a local one ongoing regarding a proposed natural gas pipeline that would effectively condemn a significant amount of privately owned land, and they (the protesters) are gaining support daily. They are writing letters, picketing county commission meetings, petitioning public officials, and presenting their points on local talk and news broadcasts - not rioting, looting, or even peacefully blocking the streets or otherwise impeding daily business.

There's a right way and a wrong way. I think we can all agree that burning down your town is probably the wrong way.

Return to Top
#1980756 - 12/03/14 08:24 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? noelekal
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
An officer's decision to use force or not can change depending on who's ox is about to be gored...easy to opine when you have nothing on the line...

Return to Top
#1980773 - 12/03/14 08:55 PM Re: When Have 2 Wrongs Ever Equaled Right ? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
we (as a society) should get to review that call afterwards and if it was erroneous (or worse) and impose consequences to try and prevent it from happening in the future.

and when the law says not guilty after the legal societal review, but you have "people in society" refusing to accept the ruling of law...what then? Because we have that happening now.

People are reacting out of lack of knowledge, and with irrational behavior...not sure i want those members of society making any decision if i was an involved party.

Return to Top
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15