Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1957049 - 08/26/14 05:59 PM New signer requesting prev statements
Linda S Jones Offline
Oregon
If a business has a new owner/authorized signer is that new owner entitled to copies of statements, etc. for the time period before they became an owner or authorized signer?

This question could apply to a personal account where an idividual added a 2nd signer.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1957221 - 08/26/14 11:16 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You're mixing too many possibilities.

The business: corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, what?

Is the new person an owner or an authorized signer?

Generalities do not apply here and most of the possible answers will not be similar to how things are done on a consumer account.

Return to Top
#1957229 - 08/27/14 12:19 AM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
Linda S Jones Offline
Oregon
Ken,

I was trying to cover too much ground with one question.

LLC removed a member and added a new member. All the paperwork is in order to remove and add. New member now wants copies of statements several years back. Is the new member entitled? Nothing in the LLC paperwork states.

Return to Top
#1957372 - 08/27/14 03:55 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
What does the resolution say signers are authorized to do?

Return to Top
#1957624 - 08/28/14 09:32 AM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You only have one customer, the LLC. That does not change even if the membership changes. While the content of a resolution is always critical, I doubt that it mentions a requests for records per se.

So, it comes down to the fact that each signatory, as a member of the LLC, is equal. If you would give the records to one member/signatory, you will give them to any member/signatory.

As they have already been provided to the LLC and it should have retained them, "There will be a charge..."

Return to Top
#1957713 - 08/28/14 02:45 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Elwood P. Dowd
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Originally Posted By: Linda S Jones
... before they became an owner or authorized signer...
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
... each signatory, as a member of the LLC, ...

Signatory doesn't always equal member. Resolution should be consulted. If signatory is granted power to only make deposits and nothing else then they cannot have any statement, past or present. If they are granted full access to the account, they can request past statements regardless of being a member or not.

Return to Top
#1958298 - 08/29/14 07:25 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Milby
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
In order to avoid confusing people unnecessarily, you should read the question and the statements made there before you start cutting and pasting the answer.

As for the two members of the LLC who are also authorized signatories on the account not being able to receive copies of prior statements because the resolution doesn't say so...pray that the LLC of which I am a member and a signatory does not bank with you.

Return to Top
#1958300 - 08/29/14 07:29 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Milby, here is the key additional post that is very important to the responses provided:

"Ken,

I was trying to cover too much ground with one question.

LLC removed a member and added a new member. All the paperwork is in order to remove and add. New member now wants copies of statements several years back. Is the new member entitled? Nothing in the LLC paperwork states."
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1958480 - 09/02/14 02:51 PM Re: New signer requesting prev statements Linda S Jones
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Although there's no reason the new member/signer should not be entitled to copies of the historic statements, there is also no reason that your bank should not be able to impose its routine fee for providing such copies.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett