Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1957780 - 08/28/14 03:39 PM Knee Defender results in a fight
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I think I have had some folks sitting behind me use this device and I just assumed my seat was broken.

http://www.boston.com/travel/2014/08/26/...tezI/story.html

Many airlines have outlawed the device which does not allow a passenger to put a seat in the reclining position.

Not sure it is worth starting a fight over.....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1957784 - 08/28/14 03:42 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Not worth a fight, but common courtesy to me says you don't recline when on a plane.

Return to Top
#1957787 - 08/28/14 03:43 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
I wouldn't start a fight, but I would ask a stewardess to either have the device removed or find me a new seat. I don't recline on short flights, but on overnight or 5+ hours, I definitely do.
Last edited by ComplyYouMust; 08/28/14 03:44 PM.
Return to Top
#1957792 - 08/28/14 03:48 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I'm tall and my knees take a beating when someone reclines....so i guess i'm biased toward keeping seats in the upright position.

Return to Top
#1957797 - 08/28/14 03:50 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I have not encountered a problem when the person in front of me reclines. It moves back very little and does not interfere with me using the tray table or moving about. I have never had anyone ask me to put my seat back in the upright position.

Return to Top
#1957798 - 08/28/14 03:53 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
And i've never asked anyone to put their seat back in the upright position (i mean, the plane equipped the seats to recline, so i'm not going to make a big issue out of it)......I'm guessing you may not be as tall as me Pale.....all i can say is: it's not fun for me on a plane when the person in front of me reclines themselves back onto my knees.
Last edited by raitchjay; 08/28/14 03:53 PM.

Return to Top
#1957800 - 08/28/14 03:54 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
This may be a manufacturer problem. Over the years they may have lessened the amount of leg room and not compensated by taking away the reclining feature of the seats.

Curse you Boeing!

Return to Top
#1957805 - 08/28/14 04:00 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
It is not just a tall person issue... nothing like having the person in front of you recline all the way back for a short domestic flight, and while my knees are not crushed, I look like a T-rex trying to drink my soda.

Return to Top
#1957811 - 08/28/14 04:06 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight #Just Jay
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay
It is not just a tall person issue... nothing like having the person in front of you recline all the way back for a short domestic flight, and while my knees are not crushed, I look like a T-rex trying to drink my soda.

Two thumbs up on this.

Last flight I was on the guy in front of me reclined his seat. My tray wouldn't sit level so I had to hold my bloody mary the whole time. ::gasp:: I did manage to let a sneeze fly (not on purpose)...that took care of the problem. wink

Return to Top
#1957814 - 08/28/14 04:08 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I am 6'4" 275. Unless I have the emergency row seat or the first seat in business class, the back of the seat in front of me will always be touching my knees.

Far as "reclining", the seat moves what 2.3 inches at most at the top? Not worth the "recline".

Return to Top
#1957831 - 08/28/14 04:24 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Remember way back when there was legroom:

Quote:
T.W.A. Offers Legroom

Published: January 15, 1993

With its planes flying nearly half empty, Trans World Airlines said yesterday that it planned to remove some rows of seats to offer more legroom in coach and business class. T.W.A. plans to remove about 8 percent of the seats throughout its 168-plane fleet by March.

Return to Top
#1957864 - 08/28/14 05:03 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight #Just Jay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

yeah, i can see how those just under 3 inches of reclining can cause so many issues...

of course, as the person behind the one reclining, i simply cross and uncross my legs as frequently as possible, each time accidentally bumping their seat 2-3 times, always offering a sheepish "sorry" in the process...

Return to Top
#1957921 - 08/28/14 06:48 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight ComplianceDude
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust
I wouldn't start a fight, but I would ask a stewardess to either have the device removed or find me a new seat. I don't recline on short flights, but on overnight or 5+ hours, I definitely do.

reclining could kill you

Return to Top
#1957964 - 08/28/14 08:11 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Yep, and attempting to recline with a device attached to one's seat could kill the person behind.

Until I read that article a couple of days ago, I never realized that reclining the airline seat was considered such a faux pas. Just an illustration of the learning benefits of reading on Banker's Online Forum.

I don't generally recline seats on domestic flights but might on rare occasions. I'm 6'3" and don't find the reclined seat in front of me to be annoying. I'll have remember to be properly annoyed next time. If I wanted to recline the seat I would take a dim view of anyone behind who clamped my seat which I paid for.

Return to Top
#1957966 - 08/28/14 08:13 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Because it is your right to deny the person behind you the use of their tray table?

Return to Top
#1957968 - 08/28/14 08:18 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
With the seat in front reclined, I've always been able to use my tray table.
Last edited by noelekal; 08/28/14 08:18 PM.

Return to Top
#1957972 - 08/28/14 08:24 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I sort of take a dim view of anyone who wants to lean on the seat i paid for for 8 hours.

Return to Top
#1957974 - 08/28/14 08:30 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
While reclining the seat in front of me, no one has ever leaned on the seat I paid for.

Return to Top
#1957975 - 08/28/14 08:30 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Ok..the minimal amount of legroom that i paid for, since to actually lean on my seat, they would have to be physically crushing my legs.
Last edited by raitchjay; 08/28/14 08:31 PM.

Return to Top
#1957980 - 08/28/14 08:49 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Peepers
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: Peepers
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust

reclining could kill you

LOL. Had to read that several times to "get it." Yes, absolutely it could. So could being "out of position" in an automobile wreck. Moms, next time you are twisted around in a front passenger seat, wiping a child's nose or cleaning up spilled juice, be advised: the automobile industry would consider anything the seat belt did to you in an accident (loss of limb or life) to be the result of you being "out of position."

Return to Top
#1957982 - 08/28/14 08:50 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight RR Sarah
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Last flight I was on the guy in front of me reclined his seat. My tray wouldn't sit level so I had to hold my bloody mary the whole time. ::gasp::

That would make a great "First World Problems" meme!

Return to Top
#1958004 - 08/28/14 09:23 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I'll recline my seat. It's generally such a small difference, I don't see why people behind get all worked up. What I do have an issue with is when your stranger neighbor lifts the arm rests to make more room for them. This happened on a recent flight and I was a bit freaked out. Like, if someone walked into my bedroom unannouced. Part of me thought I was joining the Mile High Club that flight.

Return to Top
#1958020 - 08/28/14 10:05 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Bacon Boy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
On a flight this hot chick sitting next to me fell asleep and her head was resting on my shoulder for a little while.

I contemplated smelling her hair as she lay there but then she drooled a little so I decided not to.

Return to Top
#1958022 - 08/28/14 10:15 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Here I would have thought the drool would have cemented the deal.

Return to Top
#1958023 - 08/28/14 10:18 PM Re: Knee Defender results in a fight Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Undertaking a 10 1/2-hour flight in a couple weeks and a hot chick is bound to fall asleep and rest her head on my shoulder at some point during the flight. Of course I've been married to her for 36 years. I'll just have to try to keep her from snoring ... or at least snore in harmony with her ... with our seats reclined.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2