BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1958299 - 08/29/14 07:25 PM Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
In our high-tech and disposable world it's sometimes pretty amazing just how serviceable products from years past can be.

I even get a kick out of continuing to use some products that were introduced "way back when."

What do you have around the house that you still put to use on a regular basis even though it's "old?"

Here's my list.

Watches - Can't stand to be without one. All wristwatches regularly worn, except for one that was a gift from my wife, are 55 to 70 years old. These aren't quartz models that never need winding. It makes one feel needed to wind a watch each morning. They keep time fine and are dependable for long years once they've been serviced. The styles are preferable to the wretched size and excess seen in mens' watches today and in many cases the materials and movements are better.

Razor - I shave each morning with a 1930s Gillette Aristocrat which uses double-edged razor blades. First 12 years I shaved I used a Gillette adjustable razor. It was mostly a blood-letting experience the entire time. In about 1980 I gleefully tossed it to the back of a bathroom drawer in favor of the Trac II. A succession of cartridge razor developments found me spending quite a lot on the "latest and greatest marketing gimmick" that Gillette was promoting so I got off of that merry-go-round and went back to the older razors and a shaving brush as well. Technique, something I didn't have when I was young, avoids needing a transfusion and the shave is closer and more comfortable than what the cartridges blades deliver. One may purchase several years' supply of blades for the cost of a month's supply of Gillette Fusions.

Telephone - We still have a land line and cordless phones with messaging are kept on hand yet my grandmother's 1952 Western Electric "500" resides in the hall phone cove shelf. A replacement wire and modern plug makes it useable. We really do "dial out" for pizza on this phone and phone conversations are clearer and more easily heard through its receiver. The classic ringer is heard throughout the house rather than the ringers on the cordless models which are left off.

Fan - A yard sale acquisition, this black General Electric oscillating fan shares duty with the ceiling fan in circulating the air in our library. Research on the ancient-looking thing discovered that it was made in 1918.

Electric Waffle Iron - A Westinghouse waffle iron still makes waffles for the occasional Saturday morning breakfast. My grandmother sent it home with us back in early marriage. It dates to the late 1940s and still has the braided cloth-covered cord with the little volt symbols on it.

TV - Speaking of my grandmother, I've got my grandparents' 1948 Admiral television and it still works. Hasn't been used regularly in years and isn't configured for the modern broadcasting signals that were introduced about five years ago. Takes about 5 minutes for all the tubes to completely warm up and the horizontal hold requires occasional tweaking.

Firearms - all my very favorite hunting and competition firearms are from 40 to 80 years old. I enjoy the better materials, workmanship, and accuracy that they deliver.

Piano - The Kohler & Campbell upright dates to 1909 and we've had it since it was 70 years old. A pretty tall upright, it features a full-length sounding board and a rich tone. Of course life is too busy to practice or play regularly so perhaps it's not being worn out so quickly. Our eldest son learned to play on it when he was young.

Hand tools - All manner of hand tools are on hand to assist with handy man chores around the house and yard. These have been gathered up over the years, mostly from family members. Most of them will get loaned out and lost before they ever wear out.

Yeah, we're probably eccentric. We told our kids a while back not to sell the stuff when we're gone but just open the front door and start charging admission to the museum.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1958305 - 08/29/14 07:36 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
Showerhead. I can't stand those low flow newfangled shower heads. I ordered a full flow showerhead from the 50's on ebay. It was still in the box and it works GREAT. Low flow is NO flow!

Return to Top
#1958314 - 08/29/14 07:44 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
You're right, Peach. Same thing with most of these 1.6 gallon or less toilets. Multiple flushes negate the supposed savings. I mean ... if I want to flush the cylinder heads off of a 440 V8 down the toilet I ought to be able to.

Return to Top
#1958316 - 08/29/14 07:45 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
laugh

Return to Top
#1958324 - 08/29/14 07:55 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I have an electric knife, given to me by my mom, that I know she had for my entire childhood (I'm 44). It doesn't get used much, just at the holidays, but works like a charm.

I still use the iron I was given when I got married in 1991. (Granted, it doesn't get used as much as it should!)

I still have towels in usable condition that I was given for high school and college graduations and as wedding gifts.

Although they are now relegated to the "working in the yard" pile, I have Tshirts purchased in college that are in regular rotation.

I have a denim jacket purchased in about 1987 that I still wear occasionally.

I'm sure there are more but those came readily to mind.

Return to Top
#1958335 - 08/29/14 08:05 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: noelekal
Fan - A yard sale acquisition, this black General Electric oscillating fan shares duty with the ceiling fan in circulating the air in our library. Research on the ancient-looking thing discovered that it was made in 1918.

Is this the type of fan with minimal protective screen and metal blades? eek wink

Return to Top
#1958338 - 08/29/14 08:06 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
I have two (yes, two) old mixers, one a Sunbeam and the other an Oster. The kind that came with a full set of corningware mixing bowls. The Sunbeam belonged to my grandmother and I actually had it rewired a few years ago. The Oster I picked up at a yard sale cuz it's the same model my mother used when I was growing up; it works just fine, but I usually use the Sunbeam.

Return to Top
#1958339 - 08/29/14 08:08 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
It's not really a consumer good per se, but I've got a 1952 Kohler & Campbell upright piano that belonged to my grandparents (currently being stored by my in-laws). It's a piece of family history I am excited to bring to our new house.

ETA: And yes, it will be tuned and used going forward. Most of us can still play.
Last edited by manimal; 08/29/14 08:11 PM. Reason: eta

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1958342 - 08/29/14 08:09 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using Hoosierland
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
My alarm clock that I use daily will be 39 years old next month. Bet the ones they sell now wouldn't last that long!

Return to Top
#1958346 - 08/29/14 08:12 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I actually have a set of Pyrex cooking dishes that I received as a shower gift back in 1978. It consists of a pie plate, an 8x8 baking dish, and a covered rectangle shaped baking dish. The only thing I don't have is the cover-it broke quite a few years ago. I use these regularly. I also have my moms Betty Crocker cook book from the 50's. I treasure that as my mom has been gone for almost 40 years. Tattered pages and all, I love it.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1958347 - 08/29/14 08:13 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using OkieOps
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Originally Posted By: OkieOps
My alarm clock that I use daily will be 39 years old next month. Bet the ones they sell now wouldn't last that long!

Another reason to throw a virtual party!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! smile

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1958350 - 08/29/14 08:19 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The Piano - Our's dates to 1907 and was made by the M. Schulz Piano Company, Chicago. Purchased for $0.99 on ebay, it is the twin to this one. http://antiquepianoshop.com/product/260/schulz-greek-revival-style-victorian-upright-piano/

The Lawn Tractor - We're on year 12 with our MTD. Which seems unheard of.

The John Deer 112 Snow thrower. - Made in 1987. Still going strong.

Aiwa Boombox - CD/Radio/cassette - circa 1994.

Return to Top
#1958361 - 08/29/14 08:33 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Ric30 Offline
100 Club
IN
I have to wear a watch or I'm out of balance. I wish I had an older one.

Return to Top
#1958363 - 08/29/14 08:34 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
A wood bowl that was originally used for bread dough but we use it for chopping nuts. It came with my family from PA to OK in the land run.

Return to Top
#1958366 - 08/29/14 08:42 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
My air compressor is from the mid-seventies (it's older than I am) I also regularily use my grandpa's old Ithaca featherlight 12 ga. which is also older than me.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1958371 - 08/29/14 08:50 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Cedar Point Guy Offline
Platinum Poster
Cedar Point Guy
Cedar Point
I still have and use the original nintendo.

Return to Top
#1958374 - 08/29/14 08:55 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using Cedar Point Guy
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Originally Posted By: Cedar Point Guy
I still have and use the original nintendo.

Somehow I believe you do!
smile

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1958378 - 08/29/14 09:12 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I have an assortment of old dishes, shot glasses, silverware and utensils, bottle openers galore, bottles, canning jars, an old waffle maker, records, a radio from the 40's that still works, trunks, dresers, chests all of which we use and a whole buch of other stuff that we don't use but still have.

Didn't realize how much until I started tallying. eek

Return to Top
#1958386 - 08/29/14 09:30 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using cheekEE
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: MonkEE
A wood bowl that was originally used for bread dough but we use it for chopping nuts. It came with my family from PA to OK in the land run.

That is really cool!

Return to Top
#1958387 - 08/29/14 09:31 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Naise Offline
I have a lead crystal ashtray on a stand with a marble base. It was one of my aunt's wedding presents from the 70's (back when one could still make smoking look classy). It's about the fanciest thing I own and it's used every single day.

Return to Top
#1958388 - 08/29/14 09:36 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Does my wife count? laugh

Return to Top
#1958389 - 08/29/14 09:50 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
1951 Coolerator refrigerator, same vintage GE range with the built in soup pot. Both are relegated to the garage, both work. 1940-s Mangle with the original chair - figure out that one!

Return to Top
#1958390 - 08/29/14 09:52 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
An old hand crank ice crusher.
1971 montgomery ward 5.5hp lawn mower. No, safety on it at all.
Some old hair clippers, from my wife's uncles barber shop. She uses them to shave my head.

Return to Top
#1958403 - 08/30/14 04:37 AM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using GuitarDude
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: noelekal

Is this the type of fan with minimal protective screen and metal blades? eek wink

Yep. That's the one. A person could stick his whole thigh through the grill for a handy amputation.

The sturdy metal blades turn at much higher RPMs than does a modern fan of similar size in the bed room. Despite the high RPMs and the high volume of air moved, the fan is quiet whereas the bedroom fan sounds like a B-17 bomber but scarcely moves any air. It has a proper grill guard though unlike the World War I vintage fan which is banished to the top of a full-length bookcase, safely out of reach of any stray appendages.

Return to Top
#1958413 - 08/31/14 02:33 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Yep, I've got my Mom's Betty Crocker Cookbook too. She was a Home Ec teacher, but I don't think she used it as much as JWills'. Also:

* Some Red Wing shoes I use for yard work made with leather about a quarter inch thick and fitted with steel toes. (DD, you are welcome to borrow them when you use that mower.) They're all of 20 years old and have been re-heeled and re-soled 3 or 4 times.

* BOB. (Big old Bronco). A 1993 Bronco that gets 14.5 miles per gallon. Far from being an SUV, it's truck that can push over a tree. It has no real practical use for me, but I love it.

* Beau. A 1991 SUPRA ski boat. There is no sweeter sound than a 351 ci engine gurgling thru lake water early in the morning. Again, not practical, but I love it.

* Nylon 66 - A Remington semi-automatic rifle (circa 1964) I carried when I ran traps as a teenager. I recently discovered it is a collectors' item of sorts.

* T-shirts. I'd be embarrassed to say, but they run from Che Guevara, to "Free Tilly," to Bob Marley, to "Hey Princess, Bring Me a Beer." The favorite for lounging is a 25 year old sweatshirt from Catalina Island blush

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3