Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1958417 - 09/01/14 03:52 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
*an army surplus winter coat, the kind with a hood that comes out twice the depth of your head. The only wear showing on it is holes that keys have made in the soft pocket linings. It's the best thing to throw over pjs on cold winter mornings when the dogs simply cannot wait for me to get dressed.

*A pair of huge dressmaker shears that my grandmother, the seamstress, used to cut all of our dresses. It's at least 75 years old and still my favorite cutting tool when the new fangled rotary cutter can't make the sharp turns in a pattern I'm working on.

*My KitchenAid mixmaster is the industrial one my dad bought Mom about 45 years ago. It looks and works as well as any you could buy off the shelf now. We use it for mixing as well as shredding 50lbs of cabbage for saur kraut. Truly a work horse.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1958429 - 09/02/14 12:51 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I still have my old riding boots, crop and hard hat. I haven't ridden a horse since my kid was born.

Return to Top
#1958430 - 09/02/14 12:54 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using Retired DQ
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I still have my old riding boots, crop and hard hat. I haven't ridden a horse since my kid was born.

Really...Let's keep it clean laugh

Return to Top
#1958434 - 09/02/14 01:10 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I also have my nonna's colander that she got when she got married.

Return to Top
#1958444 - 09/02/14 01:51 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
navy peacoat, i forget which relative it beloinged to when they were enlisted, but i received it when in 8th grade, now my oldest son wears it...it is circa 1950s

Return to Top
#1958447 - 09/02/14 01:54 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
We have and use the Betty Crocker cookbook that my wife received as a bridal shower gift in 1979. It has a few stains on it, and the cover has faded, but it's still useful when you need to remember how long to cook rice.

My daughter has a vase in her apartment that was my mom's favorite. She'd cut flowers in the yard for that vase. I'm sure she'd love to see it in a special place now.

Most my tools are from the 80s. Wheelbarrow, shovels, drill, saws, etc. All still work, though the wheelbarrow doesn't have much paint left on the inside.

I just broke the blender we got as a wedding gift 35 years ago. I stuck a spoon in to scrape the sides and hit a button, and the blades knocked that spoon right through the side of the container.

I have a load of books, some nearly 80 or 90 years old. They've been in the family that long.

When we play Monopoly, it's on my mom's 1935 or '36 edition. We lost the Marvin Gardens card in the 60s.

And I still have the same old ax we've always had. I've had to replace the head twice and the handle four times, but that old ax is still like new.

Return to Top
#1958451 - 09/02/14 02:03 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I like all the "family" items. It's cool to keep those good memories alive and share them with younger generations. smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1958455 - 09/02/14 02:04 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I have a money wrench from the 1890s that I still use that works better than the adjustable wrenches of today.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1958456 - 09/02/14 02:08 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using MyBrainHurts
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
And I still have the same old ax we've always had. I've had to replace the head twice and the handle four times, but that old ax is still like new.

No offense, but doesn't the replacement of the head, then the handle, make it a new ax? confused

Return to Top
#1958457 - 09/02/14 02:08 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
I have a money wrench from the 1890s that I still use that works better than the adjustable wrenches of today.

wow, a money wrench? I could use one of those, it would go nicely with the money tree my wife and kids think i have eek

Return to Top
#1958458 - 09/02/14 02:08 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using edAudit
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I have my grandmother's mandolin (slicer). To my knowledge it has never been sharpened but still slices like a charm. That thing has to be 80+ years old.

Return to Top
#1958465 - 09/02/14 02:17 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Apple ][c with amber screen monitor. (1988)
I have other old electronics but this is still my favorite.

Return to Top
#1958469 - 09/02/14 02:24 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have a lot of old tools, but my late brother's hammer that he bought in high school in the early 70's is the most special. It is a 16 oz rip hammer with a rubber handle grip that says "Rocket" on it. He engraved his name on it when he was in school and you can still see it a little. I can't imagine how many nails that hammer has driven in it's life. The grip is really worn and it is not the nicest hammer I own, but it's the one I reach for the most.

I also have a 1968 or 69 Gibson Les Paul with a sunburst finish. Everyone who has played it asks if it's for sale. It's not.

I would love to have my mother's old Sunbeam stand mixer but I fear she has thrown it away. She has no idea why I would want a mixer that is that old when I could buy a new one.

Return to Top
#1958474 - 09/02/14 02:34 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using MB Guy
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

No offense, but doesn't the replacement of the head, then the handle, make it a new ax? confused

Apparently you are unfamiliar with bad jokes of the Hee Haw variety.

Return to Top
#1958502 - 09/02/14 03:13 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ha! Young mister MB probably never saw Hee Haw! I have a 20-year old bimmer loaned out to a friend that is still used on a daily basis. At least I think it is, I haven't seen it for a while.

Return to Top
#1958511 - 09/02/14 03:22 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using thomasj
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: thomasj
I also have a 1968 or 69 Gibson Les Paul with a sunburst finish. Everyone who has played it asks if it's for sale. It's not.

eagerly anticipates TJ showing up in Vegas and being on Pawn Stars one day...those old Les Paul's bring stupid money...

Return to Top
#1958537 - 09/02/14 04:09 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: thomasj

eagerly anticipates TJ showing up in Vegas and being on Pawn Stars one day...those old Les Paul's bring stupid money...

It's not old enough to bring stupid money, but it is worth way more than I paid for it ($500 in 1984). The case smelled like it had ridden around for 10 years in Cheech and Chong's van from Up in Smoke. I was always concerned that if I ever got pulled over and rolled down my windows with it in the back seat I would probably have my car searched. I have probably close to a dozen guitars, but none of them has the feel of the old Les Paul.

Return to Top
#1958560 - 09/02/14 04:39 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, as someone who doesn't have musical talent, paying $500 for a guitar, to me, is stupid money. Now, if it were a Pinarello Dogma, I could understand paying $15,000 and not consider it stupid money...

ah, to each his own!

Return to Top
#1958578 - 09/02/14 05:20 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I've embraced modern technology and look to update things on a regular basis

Return to Top
#1958606 - 09/02/14 06:09 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My mom's old waffle iron from the 50's that still works and is still used.

Aprons and quilts made by my grandmothers and great grandmothers still in use today.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1958610 - 09/02/14 06:12 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
we're considering upgrading the Atari-2000 to a Nintendo 64, but only if Pong quits working on 4-player game.

Return to Top
#1958620 - 09/02/14 06:26 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using noelekal
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I am rebuilding an original Frogger arcade machine. 1981 technology is awesome. The game works right now after i had the circuit board reworked. I just have to work on some of the asthetics now.

I could stomp George Costanza by the way laugh

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1958631 - 09/02/14 06:42 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using DoS
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
We have and use a hand crank pencil sharpener that is bolted to a wooden post in the basement. It came with the house, but I can tell that it is old. I have a sweatshirt that is easily 25+ years old that I refuse to get rid of because I know it bothers my wife.

Return to Top
#1958634 - 09/02/14 06:43 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using Bankster
Peepers Offline
10K Club
oh I totally get hanging on to things out of spite

Return to Top
#1958641 - 09/02/14 07:00 PM Re: Old Consumer Goods You Still Are Using Bankster
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: GoBucs
We have and use a hand crank pencil sharpener that is bolted to a wooden post in the basement.

We have one of these in our office. It came from my grandpa's construction business, so I'm guessing it might be 40 years old. Works better than any other pencil sharpener we've had.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3