Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1959383 - 09/04/14 05:52 PM Re: St. Louis Fed says consumers are "hoarding money." Truffle Royale
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:
I'm just curious as to how this works for people with separate accounts.

We determine how much we 'need' for living expenses plus savings to which we both contribute equally (as we both make approx. the same salary) - then anything over that amount is mad money into separate accounts. Kiddo stuff comes from the joint account. Extra family expenses just reduce the amount to savings for the month, or big things directly from the savings account.

We started with the 'everything is joint' plan, but I like it better this way - it works especially well when one of you is a spender and the other is a saver.

And of course, I am in charge of the 'joint accounts' wink so we're trying to do our part to contribute to the hoarding issue.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1959411 - 09/04/14 06:39 PM Re: St. Louis Fed says consumers are "hoarding money." MyBrainHurts
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
We have been married for 23 years and have always been "everything is joint." My husband is a spender (if he has any cash in his pocket, it must be spent by the end of the day) and comes from a family of spenders. When we got married, he had his own checking account that we kept for a time. . .so I tried to balance the account. He had never, ever balanced it. Yikes.

I have always been the one who keeps track of our accounts. He is happy not to have to do it, although he really needs to know a little more than he does. He has no idea what money we have where, or what bills we have, for that matter.

We discuss all big purchases and generally don't argue much over anything related to money. Maybe because he knows we might be living in a cardboard box if he were the one keeping track of it!!!

Return to Top
#1959494 - 09/04/14 08:44 PM Re: St. Louis Fed says consumers are "hoarding money." Hoosierland
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
I am hoarding money, in land. We also have 1 joint account and he has several others in his name. I pay most of the monthly bills and he pays the annual/semi annual bills like propane and car insurance. Ranching only pays annually or not at all so I pick up the house bills and the ranch picks up the "big ticket" items even if it's for the house. 30yrs still working so I guess we got it. I have no idea how much money he has but then again I don't really mind that. If something happens I am sure it's on paper somewhere and If something happens to me whatever he has is enough til he starts selling. Keeping on the thread topic...I do think people are hoarding because the majority are realizing there is no Social Security or they have relatives on it now trying to live on it and they can't.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3