Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1959059 - 09/03/14 07:43 PM Gas Stations
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Approximately 15% of our high risk customers are gas stations with convenience stores. Does anyone have any good sources that they use to help in the EDD review for these types of businesses? What do you consider when you do your EDD review? I've compared all of the gas stations to each other; however, there are significant differences in activity which I believe is strongly based on the location.

Any advice for monitoring this type of customer is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1959071 - 09/03/14 08:18 PM Re: Gas Stations TryingtoComply
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
We look at location, number of pumps and sources of cash;
for example, do they sell lotto, hot food, other items, size of convenience store, hours of operation, WU agent etc.
I also calculate the percentage of cash vs total deposits and look for trends and fluctuations.

Return to Top
#1959110 - 09/03/14 09:36 PM Re: Gas Stations TryingtoComply
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
We do the same. However, I was wondering if there are any industry resources that we could use to determine if the activity we are seeing makes sense.

Return to Top
#1959209 - 09/04/14 02:16 PM Re: Gas Stations TryingtoComply
joser Offline
NJ
We will also look at gasbuddy.com for competing gas prices - we have competing stations and it can sometimes help to explain the difference in higher cash volume due to lower prices as well seasonal changes. In addition we look at our State's list of Licenced Motor Fuel Distributors, Licenced Gas Retail Dealers and Licenced Fuel Suppliers Terminal Operators - just to help ensure payments to "no-name" brand suppliers or unfamiliar ones are legitimate and in fact the gas station is licenced to do business.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z