Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1959105 - 09/03/14 09:23 PM SSN Discrepancy & CIP
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Aside from requesting a copy of the social security card to address a SSN mismatch, do you have any other ways that have worked for your institution?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1959128 - 09/03/14 10:42 PM Re: SSN Discrepancy & CIP Red Raiders
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
IRS "E Services" is the only resource actually capable of verifying a name/TIN combination and suggesting what the problem might be with a mismatch. See Publication 2108 "E Services" was designed for information reporting, not CIP, so remember:

1) It can only be queried after an account is established and
2) the account must be one that is subject to information reporting; e.g. 1099 INT, etc.

Return to Top
#1959158 - 09/04/14 01:12 PM Re: SSN Discrepancy & CIP Red Raiders
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
We live in a low risk area and don't want to make this too difficult for our customers. If we are fairly certain why the mismatch occurred (without seeing the actual card) we can document that reason and move on, right?

Return to Top
#1959163 - 09/04/14 01:29 PM Re: SSN Discrepancy & CIP Red Raiders
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
if the mismatch is due to bank error then document and move on otherwise what reason can you document?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1959220 - 09/04/14 02:22 PM Re: SSN Discrepancy & CIP Red Raiders
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
SSA no longer provides SSN verification printouts. If you can't use the IRS E-Service option, one other option is to try to assist the individual in setting up a "MySocial Security" account online. If the name and number input during that attempt don't match, the account won't open. It's cumbersome, but it should accomplish what you're trying to get done.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1959457 - 09/04/14 07:48 PM Re: SSN Discrepancy & CIP Red Raiders
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
we are fairly certain why the mismatch occurred

A name/TIN mismatch is just like any other CIP discrepancy, you need to document how it was resolved. It does not matter why a problem occurred, the issue is how did you prove the number you received is correct when your first source of verification said it was not.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z