BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38
Thread Options
#1957714 - 08/28/14 02:46 PM Everything is Going to Kill Us
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
This may be an alternative Quirk thread, I don't know...but what everyday, perfectly ordinary and generally accepted things in life do you think are actually causing serious damage to people, or at least are capable of it?

And, why do you think that - what are your reasons? Why does it seem like it is just you out of 1,000 people that is concerned about this?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1957715 - 08/28/14 02:46 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Example:
When traveling, I refuse to get full-body screened with the millimeter-wave scanners because I think the technology is too new, and is untested, and they really have no idea what kinds of cancers/tumors they are triggering, and can’t know, for another 10 to 20 years. Plus, I see the process (and the nude pictures it produces) as a serious invasion of privacy and will never consent to it until/unless they make it mandatory. I also see the entire airport security process as a theatre meant to lull us into thinking we are safe, and I refuse to play along any more than I have to. Being patted down is a humiliating process and is another invasion of privacy, but currently you have to choose one or the other.

Return to Top
#1957717 - 08/28/14 02:50 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Just one in three consumers pays off his or her credit card bill every month.

Return to Top
#1957718 - 08/28/14 02:50 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
If it was jut a pat down it would not be so bad.
Dropping your drawers in public on a regular basis is not for me. But I am not sure I will opt for the nudie scanner to avoid one humiliation for the other.

Return to Top
#1957720 - 08/28/14 02:51 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
High-fructose corn syrup. I don't even know why I think that. But I do. I sound like Seth Rogen's character in This is the End - somebody told me glutens are bad, so I won't eat them, but I can't explain why but probably calories are glutens, fat is a gluten, etc. I'm like that for high-fructose corn syrup. I don't know why it's bad but I'm sure it's a deadly killer so I avoid it. Regulary corn syrup, no prob.

Return to Top
#1957721 - 08/28/14 02:52 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I don't think flu shots are going to kill me, but i do think they're going to give me the flu (at least a mild case).....and since i haven't had the flu since i was 17, i'll just pass.

Return to Top
#1957723 - 08/28/14 02:52 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us Wolfy
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: Wolfy
If it was jut a pat down it would not be so bad.
Dropping your drawers in public on a regular basis is not for me. But I am not sure I will opt for the nudie scanner to avoid one humiliation for the other.

Hmm, never had to drop pants before. They stick their fingers inside my pants near the belt-area, and feel up and down the legs like a police pat-down. I'm sure it's a little more uncomfortable for women.

Return to Top
#1957724 - 08/28/14 02:52 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
No flu shots, no way. I do think they will give me the flu, and doctors/medical industry lie about it by saying they will give you "flu-like symptoms," which hey, I don't care if that's flu or not, I don't want it.

Return to Top
#1957728 - 08/28/14 03:00 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Anti-bacterial soap. It is killing off all bacteria on your skin, not just harmful ones, and contributes to the creation of antibiotic-resistant super-bacteria. I use it anyway because I can seldom find (in stock, in the store) a good alternative.

I propose a rule for this thread, which is that you don't have to be "right" about your reasons, let's just share the reason, such as it is, without concern that someone is going to tell us that our reason is preposterous.

Return to Top
#1957730 - 08/28/14 03:02 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Pink meat of any kind (pink = undercooked), because it will try to kill you. It will put you in a serious state of tummy distress for hours on end. It may give you a disease or illness like salmonella or the beef version of that, whatever it is. Again, I'm not 100% clear on my reasons, I just know I don't want it and that it is a deadly killer.

Return to Top
#1957732 - 08/28/14 03:03 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Speaking of deadly killers: Margarine.

I remember an old David Letterman bit where he said for years, scientists have been telling us not to eat butter. Do not eat butter, because it is a deadly killer. Eat the margarine, margarine is good for you. Now, the latest news from scientists: Margarine is a deadly killer!

Return to Top
#1957734 - 08/28/14 03:05 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
preposterous? i was leaning more toward paranoid delusion crazy... shocked

we're born, at some point we'll die...everything you do, eat, touch, wear, drive, etc. contributes in some way.

i choose not to dwell on what might happen, otherwise i'll be too busy worrying about that to enjoy life...don't let it pass you by because you are worried you might have issues...

Return to Top
#1957735 - 08/28/14 03:05 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Internal organs as food.

Whatever diseases the animals may have suffered from, you may somehow (magically?) "catch" that my cooking and eating their internal organs. Some will figure I am wrong and that some organs are delicious, tasty treats. However, scientists of the future (500+ years from now?) will totally agree with me, and I'll be vindicated at that time.

Return to Top
#1957736 - 08/28/14 03:06 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Usually a flu shot is essentially a mild/small amount of the actual flu virus so that your body builds up it's immune system to fight the regular flu, so it's no surprise some people get sick from it. Most vaccines work that way.

Return to Top
#1957737 - 08/28/14 03:08 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us HappyGilmore
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
preposterous? i was leaning more toward paranoid delusion crazy... shocked

we're born, at some point we'll die...everything you do, eat, touch, wear, drive, etc. contributes in some way.

i choose not to dwell on what might happen, otherwise i'll be too busy worrying about that to enjoy life...don't let it pass you by because you are worried you might have issues...

I can see that point, but I'm not there yet, and there's gotta be some middle ground. Surely you're not putting margarine on your homemade undercooked calf liver sandwich then cleaning your hands with hand sanitizer just before eating it on the plane right after being full-body scanned?

Return to Top
#1957738 - 08/28/14 03:10 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
According to CBS, 36% of Americans have no retirement savings. That's going to do them far more harm than red meat or flu shots.

Return to Top
#1957740 - 08/28/14 03:09 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
TV stations, radio stations all broadcast a tremendous amount of wave radiation, which fills our skies and homes and bodies and has unknown effects. There is nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it. First time I thought about that in 2 years or so.

Return to Top
#1957747 - 08/28/14 03:14 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Drinking from a garden hose is like taking poison (lead).

Return to Top
#1957750 - 08/28/14 03:17 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Was the Mel Gibson character in Conspiracy Theory based on you? I'm seeing a lot of similarities here.

Return to Top
#1957751 - 08/28/14 03:18 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
At some point in time everything is bad for us. I live in the country, I have a well for my water. So from your post above, I would assume you think my water is poison?

You can't worry yourself to death. And for what it is worth, I like my well water much better than the city water I used to drink.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1957752 - 08/28/14 03:18 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust

You have lead hoses?

Return to Top
#1957754 - 08/28/14 03:17 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
If it comes out of an aerosol can and you can smell it (febreeze, bug spray, hair spray, you name it), it's killing you.

Smells are harmful. Your sense of smell works by molecules of the thing you are smelling entering your nose. If you pass by an open dumpster and it stinks (gross!), it is because some of that rotten food and trash has emitted particules/molecules which have floated through the air and entered your nose and brain, and you "sensed" what it was, you "smelled" it, only because you are physically in contact with it, in your nose. If you were not in physical contact with it, you could not smell it, because it would be impossible. If it stinks, get away from it.

Return to Top
#1957755 - 08/28/14 03:18 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us HappyGilmore
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Was the Mel Gibson character in Conspiracy Theory based on you? I'm seeing a lot of similarities here.

Ah, but that dude was right in the end, wasn't he? I don't remember. But 999 people can say I'm wrong about 99% of this stuff, but again, future scientists will agree with me, and will be shocked at how little we knew back in the early 2000s.

Return to Top
#1957756 - 08/28/14 03:19 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us ComplianceDude
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I think Compliance may have gotten to you.

smile

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1957758 - 08/28/14 03:20 PM Re: Everything is Going to Kill Us MyBrainHurts
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust

You have lead hoses?

Yes. Garden hoses are not made from food-safe materials and are not marketed as something you should drink from. All of them have lead.

(I hereby invoke the thread rule that I can cite my reasons regardless of their veracity).

Return to Top
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 37 38