Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1959052 - 09/03/14 07:26 PM Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
This explains the productivity of the Cooler:

Knocking back a beer at work might make you think more strategically, according to a recent University of Illinois study that tested the effects of alcohol on problem-solving.

"Being mildly drunk facilitates a divergent, diffuse mode of thought, which is useful for such tasks where the answer requires thinking on a tangent," says BPS Research Digest.

The researchers observed 40 men between the ages of 21 and 30. Half of them drank enough vodka to achieve a blood alcohol content of 0.7 (the equivalent of 2 pints of beer for an average-sized man), and the other half refrained from alcohol consumption.

The men who drank the vodka performed better than those who didn't on a standard "Remote Associates Test," in which participants are shown a set of words and asked to identify a word that's related.

"We think being too focused can blind you to novel possibilities, and a broader, more diffuse or more flexible attentional state may be needed for creative solutions to emerge," says Jenny Wiley, one of the authors of the study.

But the test only looked at what happens when people are mildly buzzed.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/having-a-...3#ixzz3CHYtkifH

http://www.businessinsider.com/having-a-drink-or-two-at-work-could-boost-your-productivity-2012-3

CRCM

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1959055 - 09/03/14 07:28 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
When I toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, CO, the employees were allowed to drink a beer at lunch. Not a bad deal.

Return to Top
#1959082 - 09/03/14 08:33 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
drinking a beer or 2 leads to better problem solving?

also leads to a bunch of videos that start with "hey, Fred, watch this..."

Return to Top
#1959094 - 09/03/14 08:56 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro HappyGilmore
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
So, will the University of Illinois now be encouraging its students to imbibe freely in pursuit of "a broader, more diffuse or more flexible attentional state"?

The only reasonable takeaway from this study is that universities have too much money, time, and staff to spend on nonsensical activities that in no way promote the idea of, or further the pursuit of, higher education.

Return to Top
#1959099 - 09/03/14 09:12 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
It probably wasn't the university's money. It was probably yours. The grant that paid for my daughter's masters and PhD at Illinois was from a federal agency.

Return to Top
#1959108 - 09/03/14 09:30 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
All time greatest grant ever was for the study that determined that the average American would prefer to be young healthy and properous vs old, sick and poor.
Yup, a real study funded by a real grant with real tax dollars. Can't remember the exact year, but it was about 20 years ago.

Return to Top
#1959111 - 09/03/14 09:37 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Bankbb1, PITA
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
All time greatest grant ever was for the study that determined that the average American would prefer to be young healthy and properous vs old, sick and poor.
Yup, a real study funded by a real grant with real tax dollars. Can't remember the exact year, but it was about 20 years ago.

So it's time to get a grant for a follow-up study to see if the original control group is now bitter about being old, sick and poor. smirk

Return to Top
#1959119 - 09/03/14 09:52 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
" Can't remember the exact year, but it was about 20 years ago."

Maybe if you had a couple beers, it would loosen up your brain and you'd remember.

Return to Top
#1959120 - 09/03/14 09:53 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro GuitarDude
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

So it's time to get a grant for a follow-up study to see if the original control group is now bitter about being old, sick and poor. smirk

<<<< ::Gets out a crayon and starts writing the grant:: laugh

Return to Top
#1959130 - 09/03/14 11:45 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro MyBrainHurts
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
" Can't remember the exact year, but it was about 20 years ago."

Maybe if you had a couple beers, it would loosen up your brain and you'd remember.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I remember all kinds of stuff I thought I forgot. laugh

Return to Top
#1959135 - 09/04/14 10:59 AM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1959196 - 09/04/14 02:10 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro GuitarDude
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
I don't always drink beer, but when I do I remember all kinds of stuff I thought I forgot. laugh

laugh !!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1959203 - 09/04/14 02:13 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Bankbb1, PITA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
All time greatest grant ever was for the study that determined that the average American would prefer to be young healthy and properous

if only you'd read the study when you were young...then you could have chosen to not get old...

Return to Top
#1959219 - 09/04/14 02:22 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Ok, I've staying up at night wondering about this for years!

•The U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research spent $300,000 on a study that concluded the first bird on Earth probably had black feathers

And who wouldnt find this useful?!

•During fiscal 2012, the National Science Foundation gave researchers at Purdue University $350,000. They used part of that money to help fund a study that discovered that if golfers imagine that a hole is bigger it will help them with their putting.

I think a study on why the sky is blue and where babys come from would be really useful to young parents! grin

Return to Top
#1961000 - 09/10/14 08:44 PM Re: Having A Drink Or Two At Work Could Boost Your Pro Norman Paperman
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Hooray University of Illinois!

Now let's make it a state law we can get drunk at work and maybe 50% of the population of IL would not want to leave the state.

Heck -even if I could drink at work, I still want out of this God foresaken state.

Return to Top