Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1959314 - 09/04/14 03:57 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
HA! I caught that I only had 6 days up there. I fixed it. I think this will be easy to track.

I am rather disappointed that my "new" shoes only have 260 miles on them and feel just as worn out as my "rainy day" ones that are at 330. I usually like to buy new ones around 300 miles and alternate between the two. Timing with my spring marathons messed with that and caused two pair to be close to needing replaced going into fall race season. Hopefully I can squeeze a little more life out of them without my shins protesting too much. New trail shoes for the weekend and gravel road runs will help.

Return to Top
#1959328 - 09/04/14 04:15 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I just use a shoe mileage app called "Shoedometer". It works really well.

Return to Top
#1959332 - 09/04/14 04:19 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Talk nerdy to me Jen laugh

blush

Return to Top
#1959337 - 09/04/14 04:22 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Best "Long distance" shoe I have seen is the HOKA.
Ugly as sin, but really hold up well. Some last as long as 1000 miles. But mostly in the 600 mile range. Mine have over 400 on them (466 to exact) and still feel great! Mine are the older Mafate and at nearly 10oz are a bit heavier. But the new Huaka is only 7.5 oz in a womens shoe.

Return to Top
#1959338 - 09/04/14 04:23 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Matt_B
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Matt_B

blush

Post of the day! laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1959345 - 09/04/14 04:46 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Bankbb1, PITA
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
I just use a shoe mileage app called "Shoedometer". It works really well.

I use the Nike App. And cheap shoes. I have 90 miles on them and am ready for a new pair.

Return to Top
#1959346 - 09/04/14 04:47 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Bankbb1, PITA
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted

blush

Curious how this compares to the shoe spec convo from the other day....................

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1959376 - 09/04/14 05:41 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Wow! The Badwater 135 (at least as it has been) is no more. Death Valley has put a moritorium on allowing events to start below 2000 ft in July. The reason cited was for health and safety reasons.
The will still have the race, but I dont think they will get as many people without starting on the valley floor.

Return to Top
#1959388 - 09/04/14 05:56 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Wow, that's unfortunate! Though I suppose the families of the previously deceased athletes would probably have wished it passed earlier. I'm all for pushing yourself to extremes, but some things are just asking for trouble.

Return to Top
#1959392 - 09/04/14 05:59 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Tough call. Is it dangerous? Sure. But nobody just randomly enters the Badwater. They are conditioned athletes that know the risk and prepare for it.
But there have been deaths. no getting around that.
I've never done it and likely never would, but I still feel kinda sad about it.

Return to Top
#1959397 - 09/04/14 06:07 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? manimal
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Originally Posted By: manimal

blush

Curious how this compares to the shoe spec convo from the other day....................

He was the one who got me the difference in ounces between my road shoes and trail shoes. We share the nerdy need.

Return to Top
#1959401 - 09/04/14 06:12 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Bankbb1, PITA
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Tough call. Is it dangerous? Sure. But nobody just randomly enters the Badwater. They are conditioned athletes that know the risk and prepare for it.
But there have been deaths. no getting around that.
I've never done it and likely never would, but I still feel kinda sad about it.

True, they are fully accepting that risk, and I'm sure many still will. Even Iowa's annual bike ride (not really a race at all) across the state tends to claim at least one life per year, so there's risk in anything.

It's still one of the most grueling human competitions out there, so I do share the disappointment in it taking a step back, for sure! Next thing you know, they'll be saying you can't have a hotdog eating contest during the summer because you're taking in too much sodium and might bloat!

And Jen, I'm not normally that nerdy, but you asked a question and I just googled it for you. White knight on a digital horse, to the rescue!
Last edited by Matt_B; 09/04/14 06:14 PM.

Return to Top
#1959403 - 09/04/14 06:17 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Are you sure people have died at Badwater?

http://www.badwater.com/2014web/2014prepr.html

Historically the race has begun at Death Valley National Park and traversed a 135-mile direct route from Badwater to the end of the road on Mt. Whitney, however that route is not available to the participants in 2014 because the self-described “new sheriff in town,” Park Superintendent Kathleen Billings, has instituted an arbitrary “moratorium” against selected sporting events within the Park while her staff conducts a “safety review” of the events, even as they are not even happening. Only nine sporting events are held annually in Death Valley National Park, five of them hosted by AdventureCORPS. Of those five, three simply are not happening this year, one has been relocated to Nevada, and the Badwater 135 has seen 2/3 of its route changed to bypass the National Park. Oddly, three of the other sporting events are being allowed to take place in 2014, “moratorium” notwithstanding.

The Badwater 135, and all other AdventureCORPS events, have impeccable safety records, with no fatalities, no serious injuries, no car crashes or collisions, and no citations issued against anyone associated with any of the events in their 25-year-plus history. The continuance of all the sporting events is supported by Congressman Paul Cook (R – CA 8), the Inyo County Supervisors, Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce, Death Valley Chamber of Commerce, California Association of Highway Patrolmen, and civic and business leaders along the route and beyond. Hundreds of sporting event enthusiasts sent letters of complaint to the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, and other government leaders.

The 2014 version of the route has over 17,000’ (5,200m) of cumulative vertical ascent and 12,700’ (3900m) of cumulative descent, while the traditional Death Valley-based route has 13,000’ (3962m) of cumulative vertical ascent and 4,700’ (1433m) of cumulative descent. Though the 2014 edition does not start in Badwater, nor traverse Death Valley and Panamint Valley, the actual topography of the new route is significantly more challenging and very much worthy of the moniker, "world's toughest foot race."

Click here for the History of AdventureCORPS Events within Death Valley National Park and our Official Statement in Response to the 2014 Ban on Athletic Events within Death Valley National Park.

Click here to read about Death Valley National Park travesty featured on the front page of the Sunday, February 2, 2014 Los Angeles Times.

Return to Top
#1959406 - 09/04/14 06:19 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? Matt_B
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
White knight on a digital horse, to the rescue!

^^^why you're #1

Return to Top
#1959415 - 09/04/14 06:52 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
My bad. The article I was thinking of was ablut the extreme racing series world wide. The Badwater is one of many of the extreme races of which about 50 participate in. The deaths have occured in the series not the Badwater specifically.

I still wish it included the "lowest place on earth" in the race. frown

Return to Top
#1959419 - 09/04/14 06:55 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
But is there a fine-print caveat that they may have died later from heat-exhaustion/related situations? I've seen situations like that. Well, they didn't die at the event, just as a result of it!

I could have sworn I'd read that some have, but I could be making it up. I often confuse factual memories with made-up ones.

Return to Top
#1959427 - 09/04/14 07:08 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
"Next thing you know, they'll be saying you can't have a hotdog eating contest during the summer because you're taking in too much sodium and might bloat!"

Actually, a man died this summer in South Dakota in a hot dog eating contest. I'd much rather have my obit say he died running a race than he died eating a hot dog.

Return to Top
#1959477 - 09/04/14 08:29 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
::Makes notation for future obit de la Brain::

Done!
laugh

Return to Top
#1959512 - 09/04/14 09:33 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
"His last words, as he stumbled across the finish line, were 'PR!'"

Return to Top
#1959516 - 09/04/14 09:45 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
"The only good pace is suicide pace, and today's a good day to die!"

-The Pre(allegedly)

Return to Top
#1959519 - 09/04/14 09:48 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
There have been lots of papers and articles written over the years (including mine) on pain tolerance and speed.

Return to Top
#1959720 - 09/05/14 04:52 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Arrghh!
Check out this virtual race! laugh

http://usroadrunning.com/index.php?club_id=1591

Return to Top
#1959874 - 09/05/14 08:56 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Let's do it!

Return to Top
#1959905 - 09/05/14 09:51 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I might just for the medal!!

Return to Top
#1959967 - 09/08/14 02:35 PM Re: Runners, are you OCD about tracking your runs? QCL
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
HA! Sounds like fun, but I do not need another medal. I have several laying around. Enough that I'm beginning to ponder donating some of them.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett