Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1959954 - 09/08/14 01:46 PM Trip to Texas and New Mexico
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
We are in the planning stage of a trip to Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio – possibly stops in Waco and/or Austin) and then on to New Mexico (Albuquerque and Santa Fe). We’ve never been to any of these places and are looking for suggestions to make the most of our time there. We’re thinking next spring (unless there’s a time that’s a “must do”) and can make the trip 10 days to 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how much time to allow, what to do, and/or great restaurants?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1959969 - 09/08/14 02:40 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
If you're driving in Texas, i'd spend a little time pre-planning your routes to avoid I-35 as much as possible. Traffic on it around/between the places you listed can really be awful, and alternate routes do exist.

Return to Top
#1959970 - 09/08/14 02:39 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
DFW: Dealy Plaza (JFK museum)

San Antonio: Riverwalk (Alamo + mexcian market with great food and live music)

Austin -- BBQ, sixth street (several blocks long stretch of bars with lots of live music)

those are the kind of major touristy stuff. If you want a little more quirky things, i'd suggest getting a cheap used copy of "weird texas" off amazon. lots of good trivia/places to see there.

Return to Top
#1959987 - 09/08/14 03:10 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
FYI: There isn't a basement at the Alamo. And the Mexican Market is pretty dope.

Return to Top
#1959990 - 09/08/14 03:13 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Goodnight, you will need 2 weeks for each of those places, well, not so much Dallas. It really isn't part of Texas anyway. And I would avoid Waco or Austin.

Avoid the tourism stuff, except for the Bush Presidential Library in Dallas and the the elder Bush's Presidential Library in College Station. I recommend this as it would allow you to miss I-35 entirely as you get off on Highway 6 prior to Waco to head south to College Station.

Return to Top
#1959992 - 09/08/14 03:15 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Yeah, not really a lot of interest in Waco, just awful traffic.

Return to Top
#1959994 - 09/08/14 03:16 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
We went to Texas last October and spent one day in San Antonio. I would definitely recommend the River Walk and the Mexican Market. We ate at Mi Tierra at the Mexican Market and really enjoyed it--good food and a really unique atmosphere.

We would love to go back to San Antonio when we have more time to spend.

Return to Top
#1959997 - 09/08/14 03:22 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
google "Texas Tourism"...the state dept of tourism has a really nice catalog they will send you, covers just about every big and little texas attraction, segregated by region...

plenty of things to see and do, way to many to list here.

Six Flags (Arlington)
Ranger game (Arlington)
riverwalk (San Antonio)
Ft Worth Water Gardens (Ft Worth)
Stars game (Dallas)
Deep Ellum (Dallas, live music venues)
Ft Worth Botanical gardens (Ft Worth)
Inner Space (cave system outside of Austin)
Grapevine Mills Mall (Grapevine)
Tarantula Train (old steam train between Ft Worth and Grapevine)
JFK Musuem (Dallas)
Ft Worth Stockyards (daily cattle drive Ft Worth)
Sundance Square (Ft Worth)
Glen Rose Dinosaur Park (Glen Rose)
Sea World (San Antonio)
Fiesta Texas (San Antonio)
Spurs game (San Antonio)
Ft Worth and Dallas have a ton of museums
Tons of great restaurants to eat at, from fancy-schmancy to shorts and flip flops

Never been to New Mexico except to drive through on my way to/from somewhere else, sorry.

Return to Top
#1959999 - 09/08/14 03:24 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Be mindful of the weather. I was in Dallas and they closed the airport due to ice on the planes and they did not have any deicing equipment.

I am glad to hear that Dallas is not part of Texas as downtown there is very little to do on Sundays other than the art museum and food trucks

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960012 - 09/08/14 03:44 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
I am glad to hear that Dallas is not part of Texas as downtown there is very little to do on Sundays other than the art museum and food trucks

boy, you aren't kidding about that...trying to find somewhere ot eat in downtown on sunday is nigh impossible

Return to Top
#1960016 - 09/08/14 04:00 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Oops I forgot you also indicated visiting New Mexico.

The only thing to experience in Albuquerque is the tram up to Sandia Peak. It is open year round and you will need to not be afraid dangling in the air. I think the balloon festival is in the fall.

Now get out of Santa Fe as quick as you can, it is run by Hollywood celebrities and artsy craftsy people!

Head for the Jemez mountains on NM285. Visit the Tesuque Pueblo. They make the story teller dolls. Visit the Santa Clara Pueblo on NM30. Southwest of Santa Clara is the San Ildefonso Pueblo, on NM 502. It is the most famous pueblo. The pottery here is incredible!

You must go to Bandelier National Monument, history here goes back over 10,000 years. The roads between Santa Fe and Taos are something you will not forget!

I would suggest you include a drive along the Turquoise Trail (NM-14), the "backroad" between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Very diverse scenery, and much more relaxing than I-25. The old coal mining town of Madrid (Mad-rid) is now a little arts and crafts place.

If you are at all into the history of the area, you might also include a visit to the Pecos National Monument, east of Santa Fe, which contains the ruins of an old Spanish mission, and Pecos Pueblo, a major trading place between the Pueblos and the tribes from the Great Plains. The Santa Fe Trail ran along its south side. (Take the Glorieta exit from I-25, then continue east to the little town of Pecos.

If you are already planning to visit Bandelier, you might consider a drive continuing westward from there through pines, and the largest volcanic caldura in the U.S. You will see a great diversity of geological features on this drive along NM4.

Return to Top
#1960017 - 09/08/14 04:05 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Albuquerque's Hot Air Baloon Fiesta in October is great!! I have family that lives down there and we went several years ago. It was so much fun! While on that trip, we also rode the tram up the Sandia mountains and had dinner up there. It was really neat.

Return to Top
#1960022 - 09/08/14 04:12 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
One thing to remember about New Mexico, the road signs telling you which way to go are usually after you decide which road to take. Found this out on some of those backroads. Came to a fork in the road and it didn't say anything about which road went where until after you started travelling on it.

Return to Top
#1960026 - 09/08/14 04:21 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Love the Stockyards in Fort Worth, also a rodeo every night there!

Return to Top
#1960028 - 09/08/14 04:24 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Queen Mum
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
One thing to remember about New Mexico, the road signs telling you which way to go are usually after you decide which road to take. Found this out on some of those backroads. Came to a fork in the road and it didn't say anything about which road went where until after you started travelling on it.

well, clearly these were put there for women drivers...everyone konws male drivers not only never get lost, they don't need directions, either grin shocked

Return to Top
#1960030 - 09/08/14 04:30 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico HappyGilmore
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
My sister went to college in Seguin so I spent a little time in the Texas Hill Country. Very pretty country. Awesome German food in New Bruenfels (sp?). Was ::this:: close to tubing in the Guadalupe until someone mentioned water moccasins. eek

Return to Top
#1960031 - 09/08/14 04:32 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Santa Fe Food -
Breakfast -
The Sante Fe Bakery
The La Fonda
Pasquals
Mexican (not Tex-Mex) -
Gabriels (best Guac anywhere)
La Choza - best bang for the buck
Maria's - best green chili stew and Sangria
The Shed - a must on the square
Pizza -
Upper Crust
Gourmet -
The Pink Adobe (been there forever and everything is wonderful)
The Compound (very expensive, but good)
Steak -
The Bull Ring
Burgers -
Santa Fe Bite (Quite possibly the best hamburger in America)

To do's-
Loretto Chapel (kind of amazing)
The Enchanted Circle (beautiful day drive)
The Palace of the Governors/The Square (Shop till you drop)
Museums/Art Galleriees (AMAZING)
The Santa Fe Opera (Dont knock it till you try it)
Madrid (Funny little hippie town where they filmed "Wild Hogs")
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 09/08/14 04:52 PM.

Return to Top
#1960042 - 09/08/14 04:49 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I knew I could count on you to give me some great information. Some of this we knew from our research, but you've given us lots more to consider. I'll print this thread and check out some of your suggestions as we continue to plan. We're definitely into the historical stuff and we (mostly I) love quality crafts - especially if we can actually watch the artists create their masterpieces.

I appreciate your responses and I'll continue to check this thread in case more suggestions are added.

Return to Top
#1960070 - 09/08/14 05:38 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico raitchjay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Yeah, not really a lot of interest in Waco, just awful traffic.

Dr Pepper Museum

Add to your DFW list - 6th Floor Museum, it's very cool.

Return to Top
#1960072 - 09/08/14 05:39 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico RR Sarah
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
My sister went to college in Seguin so I spent a little time in the Texas Hill Country. Very pretty country. Awesome German food in New Bruenfels (sp?). Was ::this:: close to tubing in the Guadalupe until someone mentioned water moccasins. eek

Last time we tubed the Guadalupe we hiked most of it - and the snakes would have had to have grown legs to get at you.

Return to Top
#1960075 - 09/08/14 05:41 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Can I recommend Fredericksburg? SO pretty and such a sweet little town. German origin and there's an entire street of shopping for antiques, quilts, food items (jams, jellies, fudge, etc.) Mr EGB got into a salsa so hot there he couldn't talk for 2 stores. I'd definitely skip Waco and probably Austin to get some time in Fredericksburg.

Return to Top
#1960083 - 09/08/14 05:51 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
San Antonio's missions http://visitsanantonio.com/english/Explo...ntonio-Missions

DFW two destinations: 1) that 6th floor museum everyone is mentioning, and 2) the interstate on-ramp to get out of there.
Last edited by ComplyYouMust; 09/08/14 05:53 PM.
Return to Top
#1960159 - 09/08/14 07:54 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico E.E.G.B
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
E.G.B., someone else mentioned Fredericksburg to us and I forgot to mention that in my post. It definitely sounds like someplace we'd enjoy. Thanks for reminding me. We do like quaint little towns.

Return to Top
#1960161 - 09/08/14 07:58 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I always just do a Google search on "things to do in Texas". This will give you a trip advisor link. If you keep the search to Texas (or other states or countries) it will give you a listing of things to do and reviews of each of the places. I use this all the time researching my trips to Europe. Let's you find out a lot of small towns and things to do that you never knew existed.

Return to Top
#1960162 - 09/08/14 08:01 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
if you like quaint little towns, i recommend Shiner, where they make an awesome Bock and you can sample in the Spoetzel brewery...also, Gruene, home of the oldest operating dance hall in texas and a really good restaurant called The Gristmill...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2