Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1960041 - 09/08/14 04:50 PM SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board??
bsa nerd Offline
New Poster
Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

I was recently out of the office on a 6 week sabbatical. I serve as our bank's BSA Officer and during my time out I had a fellow committee member lead our SAR committee meetings. During that time the Chairman of our Board/Co-CEO sat in on one of the meetings. I found out about this this morning from the person that was leading the meetings. It was told to him that because the chairman was a member of the board that he was able to sit in on the meeting because he wanted to be more involved.

My thoughts are that first this should be a committee decision on new members and second that because he is on the board he should not be allowed in the meetings because of SAR confidentiality.

Thanks!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1960062 - 09/08/14 05:23 PM Re: SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board?? bsa nerd
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
What's the concern about having the Chairman sit in the Committee? If he/she can add value to the discussion without getting in the way of the BSA Officer, I would think it could be a positive thing.

It's hard enough to get the Board to look at BSA matters. This could turn out to be a good thing.

Return to Top
#1960063 - 09/08/14 05:25 PM Re: SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board?? bsa nerd
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I wish my Chair would attend some of the meetings. It does show a heightened interest in the function. As long as the Chair is aware of the confidentiality surrounding SARs, there shouldn't be an issue. She/he may be able to add value as well.

Return to Top
#1960065 - 09/08/14 05:27 PM Re: SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board?? bsa nerd
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Our CEO is part of our SAR committee and it works out great. He knows that once it gets to be board, all names have been removed and it is just the basic information about the SAR. He is also aware of the confidentiality requirements. The committee was already set up when I took this job, so I am just glad to have a variety of people on the committee who can make informed decisions.

Return to Top
#1960088 - 09/08/14 06:05 PM Re: SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board?? bsa nerd
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Our CEO is not on the committee but a very welcomed guest when he does attend, which is almost every meeting. Although he doesn't necessarily agree with everything he does understand the importance of BSA, better than if he diddn't attend the meetings. I encourage his attendance.

Return to Top
#1960181 - 09/08/14 08:30 PM Re: SAR Committee members - Chairman of the Board?? bsa nerd
bsa nerd Offline
New Poster
Thank you for the responses. They make me feel better about the situation.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z