Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1960166 - 09/08/14 08:05 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico HappyGilmore
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I would second The Gristmill recommendation.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1960167 - 09/08/14 08:09 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
it is close too (by Texas standards) only 1300 miles from Dallas

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960173 - 09/08/14 08:18 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
How about Brenham for Bluebell ice cream?? grin

Return to Top
#1960175 - 09/08/14 08:20 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Well, if you come to College Station for 41's library, the Bluebell factory is only a 30 minute drive and it is right on the way to San Antonio. I think you would have to go through Shiner too on the way. That would be worth the beer tasting.

Return to Top
#1960194 - 09/08/14 08:41 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Pale Rider
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Oops I forgot you also indicated visiting New Mexico.

The only thing to experience in Albuquerque is the tram up to Sandia Peak. It is open year round and you will need to not be afraid dangling in the air. I think the balloon festival is in the fall.

Now get out of Santa Fe as quick as you can, it is run by Hollywood celebrities and artsy craftsy people!

Head for the Jemez mountains on NM285. Visit the Tesuque Pueblo. They make the story teller dolls. Visit the Santa Clara Pueblo on NM30. Southwest of Santa Clara is the San Ildefonso Pueblo, on NM 502. It is the most famous pueblo. The pottery here is incredible!

You must go to Bandelier National Monument, history here goes back over 10,000 years. The roads between Santa Fe and Taos are something you will not forget!

I would suggest you include a drive along the Turquoise Trail (NM-14), the "backroad" between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Very diverse scenery, and much more relaxing than I-25. The old coal mining town of Madrid (Mad-rid) is now a little arts and crafts place.

If you are at all into the history of the area, you might also include a visit to the Pecos National Monument, east of Santa Fe, which contains the ruins of an old Spanish mission, and Pecos Pueblo, a major trading place between the Pueblos and the tribes from the Great Plains. The Santa Fe Trail ran along its south side. (Take the Glorieta exit from I-25, then continue east to the little town of Pecos.

If you are already planning to visit Bandelier, you might consider a drive continuing westward from there through pines, and the largest volcanic caldura in the U.S. You will see a great diversity of geological features on this drive along NM4.

Wow Pale! That's a pretty decent list for a Texan!

As a native New Mexican, I would say Pale gave you a pretty good list. Other things to add:

Petroglyphs around Albuquerque.
Albuquerque zoo and biopark is pretty cool.
Los Alamos - museums and history related to the atomic bomb, but also just a nice little town in a beautiful setting.
Chimayo - just north of Santa Fe. Really pretty drive, and Rancho de Chimayo has great food.

Return to Top
#1960204 - 09/08/14 08:56 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Roswell?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1960205 - 09/08/14 08:57 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Stop by South Fork and say "HEY" to Bobby laugh

Return to Top
#1960212 - 09/08/14 09:09 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Lestie G
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Lestie G
Oops I forgot you also indicated visiting New Mexico.

The only thing to experience in Albuquerque is the tram up to Sandia Peak. It is open year round and you will need to not be afraid dangling in the air. I think the balloon festival is in the fall.

Now get out of Santa Fe as quick as you can, it is run by Hollywood celebrities and artsy craftsy people!

Head for the Jemez mountains on NM285. Visit the Tesuque Pueblo. They make the story teller dolls. Visit the Santa Clara Pueblo on NM30. Southwest of Santa Clara is the San Ildefonso Pueblo, on NM 502. It is the most famous pueblo. The pottery here is incredible!

You must go to Bandelier National Monument, history here goes back over 10,000 years. The roads between Santa Fe and Taos are something you will not forget!

I would suggest you include a drive along the Turquoise Trail (NM-14), the "backroad" between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Very diverse scenery, and much more relaxing than I-25. The old coal mining town of Madrid (Mad-rid) is now a little arts and crafts place.

If you are at all into the history of the area, you might also include a visit to the Pecos National Monument, east of Santa Fe, which contains the ruins of an old Spanish mission, and Pecos Pueblo, a major trading place between the Pueblos and the tribes from the Great Plains. The Santa Fe Trail ran along its south side. (Take the Glorieta exit from I-25, then continue east to the little town of Pecos.

If you are already planning to visit Bandelier, you might consider a drive continuing westward from there through pines, and the largest volcanic caldura in the U.S. You will see a great diversity of geological features on this drive along NM4.

Wow Pale! That's a pretty decent list for a Texan!

As a native New Mexican, I would say Pale gave you a pretty good list. Other things to add:

Petroglyphs around Albuquerque.
Albuquerque zoo and biopark is pretty cool.
Los Alamos - museums and history related to the atomic bomb, but also just a nice little town in a beautiful setting.
Chimayo - just north of Santa Fe. Really pretty drive, and Rancho de Chimayo has great food.

I forgot Chimayo! Definitely good!

Return to Top
#1960217 - 09/08/14 09:21 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Even though I left New Mexico to move back to Texas in 1988, I still miss it and would consider it as a retirement location, should I live so long.....

Return to Top
#1960225 - 09/08/14 09:46 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Pale Rider
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Even though I left New Mexico to move back to Texas in 1988, I still miss it and would consider it as a retirement location, should I live so long.....

We have a place there and love it!

Return to Top
#1960241 - 09/08/14 10:46 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what is the place in west Texas where the unexplained lights are located?

Return to Top
#1960336 - 09/09/14 02:41 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Its not so much that they are unexplained, its just that anytime someone sees a light in west TX, they always say "Now what the heck would someone be doin' out there!"
laugh

Return to Top
#1960391 - 09/09/14 04:03 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
Happy.. the unexplained lights are in Marfa, TX.

Return to Top
#1960425 - 09/09/14 04:42 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Deena
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Marfa is in the big bend, probably too far out of the way. But it is beautiful country, if you like the high desert.

Return to Top
#1960577 - 09/09/14 08:34 PM Re: Trip to Texas and New Mexico Pale Rider
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA

A former co-worker had a vacation home in New Mexico and she moved there when she retired. She said it's a wonderful place to live.

You've all given me great information - although it sounds like maybe we should plan two trips to get everything in. smile

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2