Learn More - Click Here!

Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
Thread Options
#2121749 - 03/13/17 07:09 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
So very sorry for your loss Skittles. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Prayers for all...

Return to Top
#2121779 - 03/13/17 08:12 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm so sorry for your loss, Skittles. You've been through a rough time lately.

Return to Top
#2121782 - 03/13/17 08:15 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I am so sorry for your loss, Skittles . ((((HUGS))))

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2122034 - 03/15/17 02:51 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Oh Skittles, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way during these difficult times.

Return to Top
#2122056 - 03/15/17 03:37 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
So sorry for your loss Skittles.

Return to Top
#2122168 - 03/15/17 08:27 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Skittles, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Return to Top
#2122493 - 03/17/17 06:38 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thank you all - and thanks to Cracked Egg.

With the help of Hosparus and my sister and younger brother she was able to pass at home - in her sleep - exactly what she wanted. She had the opportunity to go out with the majority of her family for her 92nd birthday in late February. She is no longer in pain and is with dad now.

Return to Top
#2122626 - 03/20/17 02:59 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
((( Skittles )))

Return to Top
#2122633 - 03/20/17 03:11 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Skittles, so sorry for all you've lost recently. Prayers and ((hugs))

Return to Top
#2122640 - 03/20/17 03:20 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Skittles,

So sorry for your loss, but glad your mom isn't suffering anymore. She will always be with you.

Return to Top
#2122657 - 03/20/17 03:47 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks - and you're right; however losing both parents in less than 16 months has bee very hard. I was able to spend about 4 hours with her the day before she passed and she knew who I was - and was coherent about 50% of the time. The original thought was that she would be with us for about 2 more weeks, but it turned out to be less than 24 hours. Yesterday would have been their wedding anniversary.

Return to Top
#2122680 - 03/20/17 05:00 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
That is so heartbreaking to hear Skittles. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying for your comfort and strength during this hard time.

Return to Top
#2122695 - 03/20/17 05:38 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
So glad you were able to get there and be with her though. As hard as it is to be there when they take their last breath (have done with my parents and in-laws, I would have felt bad to not be there. Continued thoughts and prayers as you deal with your loss and hoping that your memories can bring a smile now and then (and there will be tears as well as smells and different things remind you of her and your dad. ((hugs))

Return to Top
#2131256 - 05/19/17 09:46 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
We've been through the ringer with my folks over the last few months and it's not done yet. My Dad passed in December and we had to move Mom to memory care. At the time we moved her, she was quite forgetful, but she still could carry on a semi-normal conversation. In the 5 months she's been in memory care, her cognition is on the rapid decline. We all feel horrible about it, not sure if it would have happened anyway or if being in the facility sped things along.

I live about 2 hours away from her and I've been visiting every other Sunday and calling every night. Last night she told me she was in a hostage situation (she's funny sometimes and always has a story when I call). The poor PA (personal assistant) was in her room about 8 p.m. trying to get Mom to put her PJ's on. My Mom hates being on a schedule like this..and I feel bad for her. But we understand the facility has 21 memory impaired seniors and getting them to bed is something they start pretty much right after dinner. My brother tried keeping her at his home, but Mom is incontinent at times and that is a big mess on a fairly regular basis and the camel/straw was when she fell in her room and decided she didn't want to wake anyone so she laid on the floor all night. My brother ran for the hills and I do not blame him.

Return to Top
#2131263 - 05/20/17 12:20 AM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
DD, although you feel bad, it's probably the safest place for her. My dad had no memory issues, but sometimes got involved in something else. We had to get rid of our toaster oven for fear he would put some bread in there, then walk off and leave it. Inlaws one would take double meds, other forget to take any.

It's not the same love they would get at home, but the care is probably similar.

Return to Top
#2131269 - 05/22/17 12:14 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Daisy - I'm so sorry you're going through this. I went through something similar, although neither one of my parents was in memory care. You are doing the right thing. This is the best and safest place for her. I know my mom appreciated my daily phone calls since I was 4 hours away.

{{HUGS}}

Return to Top
#2131301 - 05/22/17 02:54 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
When my folks left their long term primary residence for a very nice retirement place (that they had elected 10 years earlier and paid their money down), my father had dementia, but none of us realized how far along it was until he was left the home. The years of routine helped him daily. When the postman came he knew it was time for lunch. When certain shows came on it was time for whatever, but the doctor explain he was not any worse - it was just all he used to help him was gone in the new place. No one can take care of someone 24 hours - being in a facility that has staff to provide care for your loved one is the safer choice. Unlikely the facility caused it to move along, it is just that time of life and it is so hard for the loved ones that are trying to deal with this situation. We elected to have my father go to adult day care center. It kept him active and improved the quality of his life so much. Otherwise they are in a chair slumped over snoozing & drooling. Hated to see my father there the first day, but in no time we all noticed the difference - he was much more alert and active. Weekends were hard because he wanted to be at the day care, but it was just M-F service. My heart goes out to all dealing with elderly parents. Only thing worse is if you have teenagers at the same time!!!

Return to Top
#2131311 - 05/22/17 03:36 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
This tread gives me comfort. After my MIL passed in January, we put my FIL in a care facility. He moved from a large house to sharing a room with another person, so he has had quite an adjustment, but he needs 24/7 care that neither myself or his only child my husband can give. Sometimes, he still gives us the "blues" and I have had to step away because I am also have my father in the same nursing home and my husband has a chronic illness, so I have to take care of my sanity. Dealing with elderly parents and in laws requires a lot of patience and understanding. Wish everyone the best.

Return to Top
#2158211 - 12/22/17 03:14 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I need to get safety equipment installed at my mother's bathtub. Has anyone done this before? The bar(s) for getting in and out of the tub plus the bar on the wall for helping in getting up and down in the tub. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Return to Top
#2158219 - 12/22/17 03:35 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We got a transfer chair for my parents that fits over the tub. They sit on it and slide across into the tub - no need to stand. Worked really well.

Return to Top
#2158224 - 12/22/17 03:48 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If you or someone you know is a do-it-yourselfer, they have all these things at places like Lowe's. There's plenty of advice online about the best heights and angles to install them at.

You might also see if you could hire a handiman who has done this. Then you could purchase the things you need and have the handiman install it.

As a resource, I suggest you try the any Home Health type facility your insurance or your mom's may have. You might also reach out to the county Senior Care for references on who does this type of installation.

I don't know if you know about nextdoor.com which is a website that is for neighborhoods. The one for my neighborhood is a fabulous place to ask for referrals and references. Mine has been a life saver a couple times for us. If there's one for your neighborhood or your mom's, I suggest you join it. Then when Mom needs help, etc., you can ask for it there too. I've found that lots of neighbors would love to help but they often don't even know a need exists.

Good luck, Okie.

Return to Top
#2158238 - 12/22/17 04:57 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
All good info. Thank you! I will check into "nextdoor.com" right now.

Return to Top
#2158266 - 12/22/17 05:55 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We had hired a company that cut a section out of the side of my father in law's tub to minimize the step over as balance was a problem for him. As others mentioned, we installed several grab bars for additional support.

Return to Top
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett