BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1962230 - 09/16/14 05:18 PM Reg D question
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
If I understand correctly, Reg D permits 6 transactions on a monthly basis from a savings/MMA account. If the account holder wishes to have a MMA linked to either a debit or ATM card (I know, a bad idea), am I correct in stating that:

1. Transactions conducted by the account holder using the debit card to make payments would count towards to the monthly limit?

2. Withdrawing cash from an ATM machine would not count toward to monthly limit?

Separate question. A number of peers informed me that if a customer exceeds the limit, they send a warning letter. If the limit is exceeded a second time, a second warning letter is sent. It isn't until the third time (18 transactions) that they will either close or convert the account. I couldn't find anything in the regulation to support this practice? I always thought it was 6 transactions per month, period?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1962385 - 09/16/14 08:17 PM Re: Reg D question ACBbank
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Separate question.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. The intent is that the bank is monitoring these excess debits and taking appropriate action when they become a blatant disregard of the regulation.

I believe among most colleagues that there is a 'rule of thumb' that if they exceed the 6 trans per cycle more than 3 times in a rolling 12-month period, the bank should then take action.

We do it by a 'soft' first time letter, a bit 'harder' second time letter and then an action against the account the third time (closure, removal of ability to perform transfers, etc.).

Return to Top
#1962427 - 09/17/14 05:01 AM Re: Reg D question ACBbank
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
These FRB opinions can be rather surprising.

http://www.philadelphiafed.org/bank-reso...egulation_d.pdf
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1962468 - 09/17/14 01:33 PM Re: Reg D question ACBbank
GoGreen Offline
Gold Star
PA
I would disgree if you been in a FED exam. This is where they try to catch a bank on the account closure and timing of that closure with REG D- 6 transactions.

Return to Top
#1962534 - 09/17/14 03:44 PM Re: Reg D question ACBbank
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
On your first two questions, you have the right information. POS debits count, ATM transactions don't (insofar as the Regulation is concerned).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett