Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1963207 - 09/19/14 03:38 PM Dear Young People entering the workforce...
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Here are some helpful hints:

1. When talking to your boss, put away your phone
2. it's "specific", not "pacific" (which is an ocean)
3. you don't need to say "you know" at the end of every sentence.
4. if you can't bend over without worrying about how much of your stuff is showing, then yes, the skirt is too short
5. dress like you are attending church with your grandmother, not a club with your friends
6. being polite goes a long way
7. there is nothing wrong with being wrong, or making mistakes, or trying something new
8. showing up every day on time without calling in sick once is not a valid reason to ask for a raise
9. having a degree is what got you in the door, what you do now that you're here is what keeps you here
10. it really is not a good idea to say "yo dog, what's up" to the President, unless you work for a software development firm or he is your father/brother/best friend since grade school

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1963209 - 09/19/14 03:41 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
As for 9.....you mean getting a law degree means you actually have to practice law and know what you're doing? People aren't supposed to just throw money at you cuz you have a law degree?

Return to Top
#1963211 - 09/19/14 03:42 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
it is a crazy concept, i will admit

Return to Top
#1963212 - 09/19/14 03:42 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Return to Top
#1963214 - 09/19/14 03:45 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
?

Return to Top
#1963218 - 09/19/14 03:48 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
We had a kid come for an interview dressed in a wrinkled polo shirt, khaki cargo shorts and flip flops. Now it was a position in the call center and the dress code is fairly relaxed but nowhere on earth should that attire be acceptable for a job interview! Needless to say he did not get the job.

Return to Top
#1963221 - 09/19/14 03:49 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
11. Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook "this job sucks."

Return to Top
#1963222 - 09/19/14 03:52 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
AMEN!

CRCM

Return to Top
#1963225 - 09/19/14 03:53 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Or if you do, immediately update your status to:
Unemployed at...home

Return to Top
#1963228 - 09/19/14 03:54 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
12. Get a baby-sitter for your children. The bank lobby is not an appropriate place for them to wait for you. The tellers are not a day care service.

Return to Top
#1963250 - 09/19/14 04:25 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
13. Remember, it usually requires more work and effort to get out of doing the work you were asked to do...This also provides a short trip to the door.

Return to Top
#1963251 - 09/19/14 04:26 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... MyBrainHurts
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
11. Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook "this job sucks."

This post could have been shortened to "Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook." eek
Last edited by burkemi; 09/19/14 04:27 PM.

Return to Top
#1963267 - 09/19/14 04:49 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Or, "Do not use Facebook to post 'this job sucks'. Word gets around."

Return to Top
#1963272 - 09/19/14 04:55 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... Dani York, CRCM
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM
12. Get a baby-sitter for your children. The bank lobby is not an appropriate place for them to wait for you. The tellers are not a day care service.

Here the kitchen is used as a day care for about an hour...it gets loud but the President allows it, not much we can do.

Return to Top
#1963274 - 09/19/14 04:58 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... MyBrainHurts
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Plenty of us do similar griping here on BOL. Just saying, I'm guilty of it as well.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1963283 - 09/19/14 05:12 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
^^ Silly young person.

Silly old people already employed: Hurry up and get fired or retire so we can get the good jobs! Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

And I'm going to keep walking on your lawn, no matter how much you yell at me. I don't respect authority and can outrun you.

Return to Top
#1963292 - 09/19/14 05:25 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... Matt_B
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
^^ Silly young person.

Silly old people already employed: Hurry up and get fired or retire so we can get the good jobs! Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

And I'm going to keep walking on your lawn, no matter how much you yell at me. I don't respect authority and can outrun you.

I didn't create a filable expense form for you to print out and fill in crazy

Return to Top
#1963294 - 09/19/14 05:26 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Add to #9 - Just because you have an advanced degree (MBA, etc) that does not mean you automatically know more and should get paid more than the person who's actually been working in the field for 15+ years.

Return to Top
#1963296 - 09/19/14 05:28 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Number 4????

CAMS

Return to Top
#1963300 - 09/19/14 05:32 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... E.E.G.B
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Add to #9 - Just because you have an advanced degree (MBA, etc) that does not mean you automatically know more and should get paid more than the person who's actually been working in the field for 15+ years.

AMEN!

Return to Top
#1963307 - 09/19/14 05:37 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Sunshine Lady Online
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I love number #9. You can sometimes fill a thimble with what they know about the job vs someone who has been doing it for a long, long time. Knowledge is power.

Return to Top
#1963347 - 09/19/14 06:43 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... Matt_B
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I don't respect authority and can outrun you.

this old guy clicked of a 6:30 mile earlier this month...bring it junior...

and i was using Macs probably before you were weaned...my excel macros can out pie-chart yours...

Return to Top
#1963348 - 09/19/14 06:44 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Learn how to read and comprehend what you read. You only get to ignore the procedures if you're the CEO and ,no, that's not gonna happen at your next promotion.....

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1963351 - 09/19/14 06:47 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... Matt_B
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal

Can you outrun the "jet spray" setting on a hose nozzle? laugh

Return to Top
#1963368 - 09/19/14 07:21 PM Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... HappyGilmore
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

this old guy clicked of a 6:30 mile earlier this month...bring it junior...

and i was using Macs probably before you were weaned...my excel macros can out pie-chart yours...

I can still outrun you, but I respect your time none the less. smile I was Office XP expert-certified, but didn't bother to keep it up and go on to the 2010 stuff since I use nothing complex here, and can google anything I need to learn.

I've said it before, my generation, and younger generations will never be smarter than the old people, we are simply better at knowing how to find the answer instead of devoting memory to knowing the answer. Besides, pie charts?? Psh, nobody uses those, unless they're made from pies! Mmmm pie.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3