Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1963110 - 09/19/14 12:56 PM What I've learned in 28 years of commuting
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
1. If there are stuffed animals on the rear dash, you don't konw how to drive
2. If you have Texas plates, you can only drive in the left lane
3. If you have a NASCAR bumper sticker, you're at least 10 MPH under the speed limit, and have a 95% chance that there are tobacco stains down the left side of the car from spitting
4. The worst drivers are behind the wheel of Plymouth Neons and Dodge Darts
5. If you are driving a large 4-door, chances are your blinker will be on for no less than 5 miles, and for no particular reason
6. Car ashtrays are for coins, always throw your cigarette butts out of the window
7. women who think they can apply makeup, smoke, eat, and talk on the phone at the same time really aren't driving as well as they think they are
8. people really have no concept of what an acceleration lane is for on an interstate
9. using a cruise control setting is a foreign cooncept to many
10. never use a turn signal to indicate a lane change - that just gives the guy youre cutting off a warning to speed up and not let you in
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 09/19/14 12:56 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1963161 - 09/19/14 02:40 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I like to wear a motorcycle helmet with a dark visor while driving my car on the morning commute and pull up next to people and rev my engine. It just adds a little fun on the way in. smile

Return to Top
#1963166 - 09/19/14 02:47 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
justsayjulie Offline
Gold Star
back home again
If I may tack on a few more, Happy...

11. Yellow lights mean speed up because God forbid you lose a few seconds by stopping.

12. Stop signs are just yield signs in disguise.

13. Roundabouts confuse the heck out of the vast majority of drivers in southwestern Indiana.

Return to Top
#1963171 - 09/19/14 02:56 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Last edited by RR Jen; 09/19/14 02:57 PM. Reason: a link...for a visual

Return to Top
#1963174 - 09/19/14 02:59 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
They are putting a diverging diamond in right outside, right now, Jen. laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1963190 - 09/19/14 03:13 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
We dont do roundabouts much in Oklahoma. There are a few and the same 6 six drivers have been stuck on them since 1973 when the were first put in..... ::sigh::

Return to Top
#1963196 - 09/19/14 03:25 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Ever since moving out of the city five years ago, the scariest things on my commute are the skunks that think they own the road. You don't want to tailgate a skunk. You just let them take as much time as they want. Oh wait--I guess they do own the road.

Return to Top
#1963198 - 09/19/14 03:31 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
The diverging diamonds work, it's just that momentarily, you're driving on the wrong side of the road, like England.

Return to Top
#1963206 - 09/19/14 03:37 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
The diverging diamonds work, it's just that momentarily, you're driving on the wrong side of the road, like England.

So now we find the real reason why Scotland wanted to succeed. laugh

It was not about the US building sub bases it was all about driving on the proper side of the road. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1963210 - 09/19/14 03:41 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Ed...all countries would like to succeed...

Return to Top
#1963226 - 09/19/14 03:54 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Oh good, I'm not the only shaking my head...

Return to Top
#1963230 - 09/19/14 04:00 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
#6, this happened to me this morning.. I could not believe the driver did it, I think he was annoyed because I was kind of tailgating on the ramp...He was just going too slow. Hurry up or move over is my saying in the morning!
Last edited by Soccer; 09/19/14 04:00 PM.

Return to Top
#1963231 - 09/19/14 04:02 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
#8 drives me nuts......the guy who has 400 yards til the merge, but stops right there waiting for the inside lane to clear.

Return to Top
#1963233 - 09/19/14 04:06 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
All perfect reasons that I work from home the majority of the time....

Return to Top
#1963235 - 09/19/14 04:08 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
#13. Who knew luxary cars did not come with turn signals crazy

Return to Top
#1963236 - 09/19/14 04:09 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I would add #12: a left turn lane should work thusly--if the lane is clear as you approach it and want to get into it, there's no reason to slam your brakes whilst still in the normal lane of traffic. You can get in the lane BEFORE the point you actually need to turn, hit your brakes AFTER you're already securely in the turn lane, thereby not causing all traffic behind you to slam on their brakes whilst waiting for to decide "ok....NOW i can actually get in the left turn lane".

Return to Top
#1963238 - 09/19/14 04:15 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
And #(what...16?): if the car in front of you is driving 55 mph, and you're driving 56 mph, maybe it's better to just slow down that 1 mph, instead of getting in the left lane and making the 20-mile long pass.

Return to Top
#1963240 - 09/19/14 04:18 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I also don't understand people who want to drive 85 mph, yet accelerate so slowly that it takes them 10 miles to go from 55 mph to 85 mph. Make up your mind and be a consistent sort.

Return to Top
#1963270 - 09/19/14 04:54 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I understand people that dont want to drive fast (ok, that's a lie, I dont at all), but at least learn to drive efficiently! If you know you are going to get off the highway in a mile, dont wait until you are 50ft from the off ramp and then decide that the middle lane is the wrong place for you! We had a moron STOP on the freaking highway to move over one lane!! Its not only stupid, its illeagal!!!
And by the way, driving slow and occupying a passing lane is illegal too.

Return to Top
#1963278 - 09/19/14 05:02 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting raitchjay
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Make up your mind and be a consistent sort.

You've been doing HMDA too long. laugh

Return to Top
#1963285 - 09/19/14 05:15 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I love country driving. If there is no oncoming traffic we move to the left way early of our left turn so as not to make the driver behind us have to slow down. We're nice like that in Oklahoma. Well, almost. If someone in front of me doesn't do that they get the "Really" head shake and "Seriously" holding up of both hands in a questioning way. Probably just some o' them city folks that don't know the rule.

Return to Top
#1963291 - 09/19/14 05:24 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HRH Okie Banker
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker
I love country driving. If there is no oncoming traffic we move to the left way early of our left turn so as not to make the driver behind us have to slow down. We're nice like that in Oklahoma. Well, almost. If someone in front of me doesn't do that they get the "Really" head shake and "Seriously" holding up of both hands in a questioning way. Probably just some o' them city folks that don't know the rule.

Not just an Oakie thing.

Return to Top
#1963293 - 09/19/14 05:25 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting DD Regs
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Not just an Oakie thing.

Nope, we do that here, too. Except trying to turn onto my road because there's a hill crest just beyond it and you can't see the oncoming traffic until they're about 30 yards away. People still get annoyed that I don't move over before slowing down to turn.

Return to Top
#1963311 - 09/19/14 05:38 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting raitchjay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I would add #12: a left turn lane should work thusly--if the lane is clear as you approach it and want to get into it, there's no reason to slam your brakes whilst still in the normal lane of traffic. You can get in the lane BEFORE the point you actually need to turn, hit your brakes AFTER you're already securely in the turn lane, thereby not causing all traffic behind you to slam on their brakes whilst waiting for to decide "ok....NOW i can actually get in the left turn lane".

you seem to have issues with lanes, cough cough, McDonald's

Return to Top
#1963344 - 09/19/14 06:39 PM Re: What I've learned in 28 years of commuting HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
# whatever: In CA, the surest way to cause otherwise smooth-moving traffic to stop is to turn on your cruise control.

# whatever +1: It's not my responsibility to stop so you can merge. Plan ahead.

# whatever +2: If you were the last person at the Stop sign, you are the last person in that group to proceed through the intersection.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2