BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#196428 - 06/07/04 08:53 PM Re: Smarty Jones
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Birdstone- Well, I have to say that I am quite happy that Birdstone won. Being from Saratoga and all, Ms. Whitney lives about 5 miles away from me! She is quite stuck up, but we here, are somewhat happy- as we were with Funny Cide last year.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#196429 - 06/09/04 08:22 PM Re: Smarty Jones
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I felt bad for the owner of the winning horse. She was apologizing for beating the favorite! She should have been on clound nine, but instead felt like the bad guy for being an upset.

Return to Top
#196430 - 06/09/04 09:22 PM Re: Smarty Jones
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Oh, I am sure she IS on cloud 9, but she was on the local news saying that she would have really liked to see Smarty win. I believe she is probably speaking the truth, but I am sure she is enjoying that cha-ching noise in her pocket!

Return to Top
#196431 - 06/10/04 01:53 AM Re: Smarty Jones
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Birdstone is, like Smarty, a home-bred meaning the owner also owned the mare and selected the stallion.

Mary Lou Whitney went through quite a bit of trouble to get the mare back after her husband's will ordered all of the horses to be sold after his death. (There is quite a story behind that too!)

Birdstone was such a runty colt that not many people believed in him except Ms. Whitney, the trainer Nick Zito, and the assistant trainer.

Mary Lou Whitney does not need any more money, but I think she felt her little colt was vindicated in the race. I think she felt bad that the vindication had to come at the expense of Smarty's crown.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2