Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1957761 - 08/28/14 03:23 PM Intent to Proceed
ADN Offline
100 Club
We do not collect any fees until closing. Are we still required to obtain and document intent to proceed? Our procedure has been if they sign and return the early RESPA documents that is their intent that they want to proceed with the loan.

Any insight would be helpful as we have auditors:)

Return to Top
RESPA
#1957767 - 08/28/14 03:27 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Intent to proceed is a standalone requirement and must be obtained regardless of fee collection, etc. You need a document from the applicants or something by a bank employee memorializing a conversation with the applicants.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1957782 - 08/28/14 03:40 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We send a form out with the early disclosure that the borrowers sign if they wish to proceed with the transaction.

Return to Top
#1958047 - 08/29/14 11:40 AM Re: Intent to Proceed Kathleen O. Blanchard
WHEDA Offline
100 Club
WHEDA
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
Intent to proceed is a standalone requirement and must be obtained regardless of fee collection, etc. You need a document from the applicants or something by a bank employee memorializing a conversation with the applicants.

KayBee, in your opinion, is it required or "best practice" to obtain "a document from the applicants or something by a bank employee memorializing a conversation with the applicants"?

Thanks

Return to Top
#1958087 - 08/29/14 01:29 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You need evidence in file.

Return to Top
#1958861 - 09/03/14 02:50 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Not that it has anything to do with the regulation, but why would a lender go ahead an incur the costs involved in proceeding (appraisal, title work, etc.) without an express intent to proceed from the applicant? Incurring all those costs "on spec" just doesn't seem reasonable to me (and I freely admit I am not a lender myself).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1958923 - 09/03/14 04:10 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
ADN, what does the cover letter you send out with the earlies say?
Ours has a line that reads 'by signing and returning the enclosed documents you are acknowledging your intent to proceed with this loan.'
This should be sufficient for your examiners.

Return to Top
#1961761 - 09/12/14 08:34 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Some of our lenders merely write "Proceed" across part of the application. I've never thought this was a best business practice, but have been told to accept it. What are your thoughts on this kind of practice?

Return to Top
#1961762 - 09/12/14 08:34 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Also, doesn't the date to proceed have some kind of relevance? Lock or something?

Return to Top
#1961825 - 09/12/14 10:45 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Just writing proceed means nothing, imho. You need a date and initials to indicate who said what to whom when. Who's telling you to accept it? I'm betting it's an LO and not anyone who would have to sit and explain to an examiner.

Yes, the date to proceed has all kinds of relevance but nothing to do with the lock. I suggest you grab the RESPA FAQ and start reading. You'll get to the significance of the intent to proceed within the first few pages.

Return to Top
#1964087 - 09/23/14 08:47 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, I need to, it's been a while since I've read through the FAQs--are they still from 2010?

Return to Top
#1964091 - 09/23/14 08:48 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
The RE dept says if the loan closes, the borrower intended to proceed! I've never been able to convince anybody we need to put it into writing with a signature just to be safe.

Return to Top
#1964095 - 09/23/14 08:55 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The intent to proceed must occur before the bank starts requiring documentation of income, imposing fees, etc. If you can't demonstrate that you had an intent to proceed from the borrower, you can be cited.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1964134 - 09/23/14 11:00 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Retrospective Intent to Proceed (well the loan closed, didn't it?) gets the bank nothing. No fees should have been charged, the closing should not have happened, without a documented intent to proceed.

Return to Top
#1964185 - 09/24/14 01:51 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
I totally agree! As I start my RESPA audit, I wish I had some evidence of banks being cited because no documented ITP. Are you aware of any?

Return to Top
#1964454 - 09/24/14 09:35 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
The RE dept says if the loan closes, the borrower intended to proceed!

If that logic worked, we'd never have a right of rescission error or many others violations.

Tell them this: "Congress gave borrowers this right (no verifications or fees until intent to proceed is demonstrated). You can't take people's rights away from them." Like it or not, it's the law. Stupid or not, it's the law.

Return to Top
#1964536 - 09/25/14 01:47 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
So, what would you consider evidence of intent to proceed? I don't want add yet another piece of paper to the file, and the law doesn't explicitly say get it in writing, but rather the borrower expresses intent to proceed.

Return to Top
#1964542 - 09/25/14 01:56 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You have two choices: either another sheet of paper or a required consistent method of documenting verbal consent.
As many of us know too well, putting 'required consistent' and LO together is about as big an oxymoron as jumbo shrimp.

But the paper doesn't have to be separate. You could add a line to the cover letter you send with the GFE/TIL and other earlies that reads: "By returning the items requested here, you are indicating your intent to proceed with this application."

Return to Top
#1964607 - 09/25/14 03:17 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Combustible
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Originally Posted By: whocantell?CRCM
So, what would you consider evidence of intent to proceed? I don't want add yet another piece of paper to the file, and the law doesn't explicitly say get it in writing, but rather the borrower expresses intent to proceed.

Do you not use a disclosure letter? We use the following and I know others use something similar. The 0s are check boxes. Once the applicant provides us the check for the appraisal they have given their intent to proceed.

Borrower
Co-Borrower
Address
City State Zip

May 19, 2014

Dear :

Thank you for choosing The Peoples State Bank for consideration of your home financing needs.

We are providing, or have already provided you the following disclosures to help explain the terms of the proposed financing. If you have any questions after reviewing these disclosures please contact me and I will be glad to go over the details with you.

0 The Preliminary Truth-In-Lending Disclosure
0 The Good Faith Estimate
0 Written List of Settlement Service Providers
0 Servicing Transfer Disclosure
0 Notice of the Right to Receive Copy of Appraisal
0 HUD’s booklet “Buying Your Home”
0 The Notice to Home Applicant / Credit Score Disclosure
0 Homeowner’s Counseling Notice
0 Federal and State Sales of Insurance Disclosure
0 Notice to Borrower / Prospective Borrower (form HPU-01) as required by Indiana Code 24-5-23.5-8(a))
0 The Peoples State Bank’s Privacy Disclosure

If your proposed financing is an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM) the following disclosures have been or are being provided:

0 HUD’S booklet “Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARM)”
0 Our 1-1, 3-1 and 5-1 Adjustable Rate Mortgage Disclosures

If after reviewing these disclosures you wish to proceed with the loan request please return your check for $375.00 to cover the cost of the appraisal in the enclosed envelope. If we do not receive your check on or before _______ we will assume you have chosen not to proceed with the loan request and no further action will be taken.

We look forward to serving your home financing needs.

Sincerely,

Return to Top
#1964817 - 09/25/14 07:53 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Ok, great, I'll see about this. Thanks to all for your help.

Return to Top
#1977305 - 11/18/14 09:42 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Lil Firecracker Offline
Where do you find in RESPA that it is regulatory to wait for the intent to proceed prior to requesting income documentation? I cannot find this citation.

Return to Top
#1977350 - 11/18/14 10:52 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The lender is not permitted to require, as a condition for providing a GFE that an applicant submit supplemental documentation to verify the information provided on the application. [§1024.7(a)(5)]

…such a requirement may inhibit borrowers from shopping for the best loan by leading borrowers to believe that they are committed to obtaining a loan from that loan originator… [RESPA FAQ – GFE General #31]

After a loan applicant both receives a GFE and indicates an intention to proceed with the loan covered by the GFE, the loan originator may collect fees beyond the cost of a credit report for origination-related services. [RESPA FAQ – GFE General #10]

Return to Top
#2041251 - 09/29/15 05:40 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Dan Persfull
lemunger Offline
New Poster
If after reviewing these disclosures you wish to proceed with the loan request please return your check for $375.00 to cover the cost of the appraisal in the enclosed envelope. If we do not receive your check on or before _______ we will assume you have chosen not to proceed with the loan request and no further action will be taken.

When using this verbiage in your cover letter, how would you track this the application for HMDA if the customer does not get back to you - as a withdrawn application or an incomplete appllcation?

Return to Top
#2041269 - 09/29/15 06:03 PM Re: Intent to Proceed ADN
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Only the applicant can expressly withdraw an application. If we don't hear from them within the allotted time we report it as closed for incompleteness.

Return to Top
#2041331 - 09/29/15 07:39 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Dan Persfull
lemunger Offline
New Poster
Thank you!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL