Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1941429 - 07/16/14 01:31 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Wonderful! Honestly this will be better for all of you.

Return to Top
#1941438 - 07/16/14 01:44 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Great job!! Keep up the good work!! grin

Return to Top
#1941443 - 07/16/14 01:49 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I once started to straighten out my sleeping baby and my Babcia (grandmother) grabbed my hands and stopped me saying: "She wouldn't be sleeping if she wasn't comfortable. Leave her alone!" So, short of her getting into a dangerous situation like falling off a sofa while asleep, I don't touch sleeping kids. sleep

Return to Top
#1941468 - 07/16/14 02:19 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: VWgirl21
My husband ended up waking her up though because he didn't like the way she was laying so she ended up crying for another 30 minutes.

Tonight when your husband is asleep, move his arms and legs into a different position and tell him you didn't like the way he was laying.

I'm glad it went well. It's one of the many difficult things we're not prepared for when we become parents. It's very hard to hear your baby cry and just let it go.

Return to Top
#1941486 - 07/16/14 02:42 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
Having a vidoe monitor makes it worse too because I can see her sitting in her crib, hanging her little head and crying.

My husband said she found the monitor last night and picked it up and threw it in the crib. He compared it to godzilla. He was dying laughing which didn't help the screaming since she could hear him.

Return to Top
#1941490 - 07/16/14 02:48 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Wishing you the best, but gee, I am so glad I am done with those days! I am sure you guys are exhausted. eek

Return to Top
#1941528 - 07/16/14 03:36 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I like MBH's advice about your husband. That's a riot!

Return to Top
#1941540 - 07/16/14 03:46 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: VWgirl21
Having a vidoe monitor makes it worse too because I can see her sitting in her crib, hanging her little head and crying.

My husband said she found the monitor last night and picked it up and threw it in the crib. He compared it to godzilla. He was dying laughing which didn't help the screaming since she could hear him.

I wish we had a video monitor at times. Sometimes our daughter will be in the midst of her crying and all of a sudden she will stop and babble really loud. It's like she is cursing mom and dad out! It is so funny to listen to.

Hopefully you and your husband can get some rest now. Since we started doing the cry it out thing, we have been sleeping so sound trying to make up for all those sleepless nights. Hopefully she will continue the all night sleeping. We still get up once for about 20 mins.

Return to Top
#1941592 - 07/16/14 04:54 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
When our first daughter was born, we held her every night and than laid her down. As she got older, she expected one of to stay with her until she fell asleep. I wouldn't but my husband did. Not sure if was guilt or just that she's daddy's little girl and he's whipped laugh

So when our 2nd and 3rd were born, I would place them in their beds while they were still awake.

Every once in awhile we have issues falling asleep, but they are rare. I don't ever like them sleeping in our bed, they move too much and I hate being woken up with a foot in my face, hip, stomach, etc....

So, good job VWgirl. Just keep it up and don't go back to the old routine.

Return to Top
#1941683 - 07/16/14 06:20 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's hardest with the firstborn. You're not sure and you don't want to do anything that will scar them for life or make you a bad parent.

Normally, parents are 'smarter' and less guilt ridden by the time subsequent kids arrive on the scene. smile

Return to Top
#1941891 - 07/16/14 09:58 PM Re: Bedtime Routine Truffle Royale
Peepers Offline
10K Club
have you tried cold, hard, cash?

Return to Top
#1942682 - 07/18/14 12:42 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
Cash bribes don't work, especially since Nana buys her everything.

Last night she only cried for 2 minutes before falling asleep. Then when she woke up at 3am to eat, she went back to sleep in her own bed. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. It's hard work being a parent!

Return to Top
#1942783 - 07/18/14 02:44 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
This is the easy part! smile wink

Return to Top
#1942784 - 07/18/14 02:46 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Don't tell her that, DeeQ. You'll scare her.

Return to Top
#1942792 - 07/18/14 02:59 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Glad it is going well VW. Your daughter's sleeping sounds so much like our daughter and her sleeping. Ever since we started letting her cry, she has been sleeping so sound (and mom and dad too!) We have actually been sleeping right through the alarm!

Return to Top
#1949439 - 08/05/14 10:08 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
1. I was skeptical when my son and DIL purchased the video monitor for my granddaughter when she was born. But I became a believer. It's MUCH easier to avoid going back in when you can see they are okay and not stuck in the crib bars! Same when they wake up at night.
2. My baby gift to my kids was a BOSE stereo for the baby's room and Jewel's lullaby CD. I was not expecting this in particular, but she listens to soft music all night long and has since she was born. Now, they have graduated to a tablet and SONOS so she listens to Disney radio. You can hear her singing to herself sometimes.

Return to Top
#1967053 - 10/03/14 09:46 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Glad she is finally falling asleep on her own. Did this with my daughter, son wasn't as much of a problem - Put her in bed, told her nighty nite and walked out. After about 5 minutes of crying, went in and patted her and laid her back down and walked out again. Waited a little longer than the 5 minutes and went in. Each time extending the time. This way it teaches them that you didn't just abandon them. You are still there and everything is ok. It took about a week but then you could just put her in bed and she went right to sleep.

My daughter had been rocking my granddaughter each night until she fell asleep. She was 15 months old and they went on vacation. I kept getting interruptions with phone, etc. while trying to get her to nap one day. She was so tired but wouldn't give it up. I finally just put her in bed and left her. She screamed and then sat and played. Then she cried some more and then sat and played. When my daughter got home, I didn't tell her I did that. She decided to try to get her to nap on her own, and put her in bed and after a couple minutes she just went to sleep and has done that ever since. I finally told her I started that and took the worst of it for her.

Return to Top
#1967085 - 10/06/14 12:29 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
We have had few issues the past couple nights. She sits in bed and just screams. I have had to go back in there the past two night and she is so upset she is sobbing and can't catch her breath. I think it may be caused by her teeth coming. Last night I gave in and rocked her to sleep.

At what point do you let them cry it out during the night? She just had her first birthday and most nights she sleeps through the night. But there are still times she wakes up and wants to nurse, it is becoming less and less frequent but still happens.

Return to Top
#1967094 - 10/06/14 01:19 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
My 4 year old granddaughter is an absolute bear when it comes to bedtime. She never has been much of a sleeper. She would stay up until 11 o'clock if you let her. My daughter has been doing some research on essential oils. She now rubs some Lavender oil into the soles of her feet about an hour prior to bedtime. I was shocked at the difference. I realize your daughter is a few years younger. I wonder if my daughter knew this a couple of years ago how much her sleep habits would be different.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1967105 - 10/06/14 02:03 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
VW..we are in the same boat. We put her in the crib and let her go to sleep by herself and it worked well for us. It got us to the point that she was sleeping through the night. We are now back to getting up and she wanting to eat. She has had a horrible September, flu followed by a cold. It seems for us, every time she gets sick it changes her sleeping.

My wife and I have talked several times about when do we just let her cry in the middle of the night and not let her eat.

Return to Top
#1967109 - 10/06/14 02:21 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
My 2 year old will go to bed at bedtime and fall asleep. When she's not feeling well, she'll cry and want to be held until she falls asleep. It only happens every once in awhile and then she's back to her routine.

I've chalked it up to that sometimes we just want to be held at night. I do, so I figure our kids want to do sometimes.

Return to Top
#1987065 - 01/07/15 08:27 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
JWills, my daughter has discovered the Essential Oils too. It has made a world of difference. She either uses it directly on her or diffuses it in her room at night. The Digize has also helped with her constipation problems. They are wonderful.

Return to Top
#2023463 - 06/26/15 06:33 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
It's my turn to ask for some input. smile After months of being a really great sleeper, our 14 month old is suddenly refusing to go to sleep unless someone is holding him, and then he won't stay asleep for more than a couple hours at a time. When he wakes up he screams and cries for about an hour, then settles down but won't go back to sleep for another hour or more. He doesn't seem to be hungry, hurtings, gassy, or any of the other usual suspects during these waking periods. When/if he DOES finally go back to sleep (with someone holding him) he will wake up and start the screaming again if you try to put him back in his bed. This cycle usually happens between about midnight and 4am. At some point between 4 and 4:30 he will zonk out and let you put him back in his bed. We've been taking turns on who stays up each night, sometimes swtiching out shifts in the wee hours if the one who was up to begin with is ready to fall out.

This has been going on for nearly two weeks now. We have about resolved ourselves to the fact that letting him cry it out may be necessary, but the fact that he cries so hard he ends up gasping & gagging has kept us from doing it so far.

Any ideas other than just letting him holler himself out? We came close last night but after about 45 minutes of shrieking he was getting choked and we chickened out.

Return to Top
#2023467 - 06/26/15 06:57 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Nope.
That's my advice.

At 14 months, we had a slightly different scenario (kid had a feeding tube). But similarly, she knew how to push our buttons. She'd scream and we'd go in and she'd stop screaming. Once she even giggled!!

Then we started do this - So we would go in. Change her. Check the feeding pump. Make sure all was well. And then "reset her."

Bedtime routines were always dreadfully the same. (And now I miss them Soooooo much.) But they went like this.
Bath. Bed. Book. Turn out the light. Turn on the night light and noise maker. Give kisses, her pacifier, and then leave.

During the middle of the night we repeated all steps (except bath) to "reset" her. Once she knew that we weren't playing around, her shenanigans stopped.

We even repeated the routine at places other than home (hospital - this was the age of most of her stays, grandparent's, etc) with great success.

Return to Top
#2023498 - 06/26/15 07:52 PM Re: Bedtime Routine VWgirl21
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm thinking either:

(a) Molars - does he have some already? If not, they may be starting to move in.

(b) Phase - my youngest for sure went through a phase very much like this. It took a couple of months but it did eventually pass and he went back to normal sleeping patterns.

I never could do the cry-it-out thing.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett