BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1972061 - 10/27/14 01:35 PM Daylight Savings time is coming to an end
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
This Sunday morning at 2:00 AM, set you clocks back one hour...if you have outdoor plans during the week, better take care of them this week, because starting next week we'll all be getting home in the dark...i hate getting home in the dark...

the above announcement does not apply to the states of Arizona (excluding the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii, and US Territories Puerto Rice, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands, who don't adhere to daylight savings time

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1972064 - 10/27/14 01:51 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Yes, it suucks!!!!

Return to Top
#1972065 - 10/27/14 01:54 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
At least it's 'fall back' and not 'spring forward.' I loathe spring time change.

Return to Top
#1972066 - 10/27/14 01:58 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
I loathe manipulating the time in any fashion, myself.

Return to Top
#1972067 - 10/27/14 01:58 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
In our house the dogs don't understand daylight savings time. We won't get to sleep in.

The one thing that took MAJOR adjustment when moving to Central time was it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter. Ugh.

Return to Top
#1972070 - 10/27/14 02:13 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I'm with Noel. I don't have a DST or ST preference but I wish we would stop changing!!
Between the kids and the puppies I won't get to sleep in, and getting everyone to bed on time Sunday night will be a nightmare!

Return to Top
#1972075 - 10/27/14 02:28 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
So Daylight Wasting Time begins this weekend?

Return to Top
#1972076 - 10/27/14 02:32 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Sunday also happens to be our anniversary, so MsGilmore will have the pleasure of an additional hour of marriage to me on this special day!!!

Return to Top
#1972080 - 10/27/14 02:39 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
the last couple of years the change landed on the openning of deer hunting ... did you know that the deer don't change their clocks? interesting facts!

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1972082 - 10/27/14 02:45 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I wish it didn't ever change. Sleeping in is never an option anyway...but one way or the other, barn chores are a pain in the dark.

If it got dark here at 4:30, I'm pretty sure I would be a depressed person.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1972084 - 10/27/14 02:48 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
By Mid December it will be getting dark at 4:30 here. sick

Return to Top
#1972085 - 10/27/14 02:53 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
I hate the change. Wish someone would come up the bright idea to leave same year around.

Return to Top
#1972088 - 10/27/14 02:56 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I'm running a half marathon on Sunday, so the time change gives me an extra hour to lie awake thinking about it.

Return to Top
#1972089 - 10/27/14 03:05 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I could use extra hour of sleep day about every day for the next 2 weeks so I can catch up on rest.

Return to Top
#1972092 - 10/27/14 03:14 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Where is the money made out of compelling the flip-flopping the minute hand on our clocks and watches? It's just gotta be a main reason behind the silliness.

Return to Top
#1972100 - 10/27/14 03:43 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I thought it was done for the farmers and ranchers across the country?

Return to Top
#1972105 - 10/27/14 03:50 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I'm so glad AZ doesn't practice this silly thing.

Return to Top
#1972109 - 10/27/14 03:58 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
I thought it was done for the farmers and ranchers across the country?

Yeah, so we're told. But, since neither the crops nor the livestock can tell time, no farmers and ranchers around here plan their day around what a time measuring device tells them.

We're also told that it's for the school children but that's also a fib. Schools are slinging hash morning, noon, and night these days and more kids are on campus for longer periods with extra-curricular activities that can't be crammed into wintertime daylight hours, no matter how it is sliced.

Return to Top
#1972112 - 10/27/14 04:06 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
The other argument is that DST reduces energy consumption but that cannot possibly be true in warmer climates. I have to cool my home for an additional hour of sunlight each day.

Return to Top
#1972113 - 10/27/14 04:07 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end CompliantOkie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
The other argument is that DST reduces energy consumption but that cannot possibly be true in warmer climates. I have to cool my home for an additional hour of sunlight each day.

what? the number of hours of daylight doesn't change because of DST, as daylights "starts" later but "ends" later...

Return to Top
#1972114 - 10/27/14 04:09 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Pretty sure this rule is kept to torture parents... I get my kids on a good sleep schedule, even sleeping in until 7:30 on the weekends (with an 8, 5, and 3 year old that is pretty much a miracle) then BAM! Time change. Doesn't matter which way it goes it jacks up our whole schedule for a month!
I miss living in Hawaii where we didn't have to bother with it... Just had to remember it occurred and it changed the time difference between the islands and the mainland.

Return to Top
#1972115 - 10/27/14 04:12 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Perhaps I should have said I have to cool the house from an additional hour of sunlight in the evening. The sun coming up later is not a factor as the temp in the house is set to maintain a constant temperature while we're out of the house then when we come home the A/C has to cool the house down for an additional hour in the evening.

Return to Top
#1972116 - 10/27/14 04:15 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I'm not sure it would have much effect in Alaska. Land of the Midnight Sun and all that.... smile

Return to Top
#1972118 - 10/27/14 04:17 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end CULady
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: CULady
Pretty sure this rule is kept to torture parents... I get my kids on a good sleep schedule, even sleeping in until 7:30 on the weekends (with an 8, 5, and 3 year old that is pretty much a miracle) then BAM! Time change. Doesn't matter which way it goes it jacks up our whole schedule for a month!
I miss living in Hawaii where we didn't have to bother with it... Just had to remember it occurred and it changed the time difference between the islands and the mainland.

THAT'S IT!!!

Return to Top
#1972155 - 10/27/14 06:26 PM Re: Daylight Savings time is coming to an end HappyGilmore
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

what? the number of hours of daylight doesn't change because of DST, as daylights "starts" later but "ends" later...

well, i think the argument was that you have this "extra" daylight in the summer. If you have it the morning, most people just sleep through it. Shift it to the evening and you can use it and save the energy you would have used to light up the house in other ways. But according to this:

www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-daylight-saving-times-save-energy/

it doesn't really hold up.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3