Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1972682 - 10/29/14 03:06 PM How to collect non-accrued interest?
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Currently: consumer loan secured by primary residence, under a forbearance agreement (non-accrual). The LO wants to refinance and put the loan back on accrual and collect the secondary accrual, but in monthly installments in addition to the monthly P&I and Escrow for the refinancing.

Since we cannot capitalize this interest, how do we collect it?

Can the secondary accrual be collected through an escrow agreement? Should a separate agreement be executed through an attorney? Must the collection of the secondary accrual be disclosed in the GFE/TIL/HUD?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1972926 - 10/29/14 10:45 PM Re: How to collect non-accrued interest? Likes to Comply
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'll take s stab at this from the accounting point of view and not the mortgage servicing side (not my forte):

Typically one expects the customer to have made regular payments for 6 or so months before placing most loans back on accrual - which in your case might equal the amount of interest due.

I would contact your auditors to determine if you could place a loan back on accrual without showing the capacity of repayment or how you would treat those unpaid interest accruals accounting-wise. Normally a loan under a Forebearance Agreement, with past due interest outstanding, isn't "re-booked" as a good asset.

Return to Top
#1972986 - 10/30/14 01:52 PM Re: How to collect non-accrued interest? Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Thanks smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z