Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1971670 - 10/23/14 09:19 PM Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied
Wannaknow Offline
100 Club
4 applicants apply for a loan to purchase a primary residence. The appraisal was ordered and delivered to the applicants. They later withdraw their loan request.

1 month later – 2 of the applicants reapply to purchase the same residence.

Do we have to give a copy of the appraisal again or can it be said they already received it?
Last edited by wannaknow; 10/23/14 09:30 PM.
Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1971688 - 10/23/14 10:46 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I'm not sure if you can follow the same logic, but for renewals, you only have to provide the appraisal if you did a new one.

Section 1002.14(a)(1) does not apply to the extent a creditor uses the appraisals and other written valuations that were previously developed in connection with the prior extension of credit to evaluate the renewal request.

Return to Top
#1971735 - 10/24/14 01:38 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This is a new loan request. I don't see it being exempt from having to provide new disclosures or a copy of the appraisal under the above cite. No extension of credit was previously granted involving the transaction.

Besides, you already have the appraisal. It will take about 3 minutes to run it through the copier and give it to one of the applicants. What's the big deal in providing a 2nd copy?

Return to Top
#1974399 - 11/05/14 06:11 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
complyorelse Offline
Gold Star
U.S.
A similar situation. We have a first mortgage on a dwelling and the borrower was given a copy of the appraisal when that loan originated. The borrower has now applied for a HELOC using the same dwelling and the bank is not going to order a new appraisal.

We've provided the disclosure but, since the Reg nor Commentary address a new loan with no new appraisal, we're not sure if we have to provide a copy of the older appraisal, if the timing requirements kick in, or if eSign would apply (if we're emailing)?

As Dan stated above, it's not a big deal to make a copy of the appraisal we have, but we need to know what's required by law so we can get our procedures aligned.

Any input is most appreciated. Thank you.

Return to Top
#1974473 - 11/05/14 07:48 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
complyorelse Offline
Gold Star
U.S.
Allow me to clarify one point, the first mortgage will be paying off so we will be in first lien position with our HELOC.

Return to Top
#1974626 - 11/05/14 11:44 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Your HELOC request is a NEW request - notice & copy of appraisal required

Return to Top
#1974640 - 11/06/14 03:57 AM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Hold on just a dang minute. Under Reg B section 1002.14, you will have to provide the notice, but unless you do a new valuation or appraisal in connection with this application, you do not have to provide a copy of the appraisal you aren't developing.

And the appraisal you already have in file was not developed in connection with this application, so you don't have to provide a copy of it, either.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1975012 - 11/07/14 01:25 PM Re: Giving appraisal a 2nd time - w/d and reapplied Wannaknow
complyorelse Offline
Gold Star
U.S.
Great feedback. I tend to agree with John. Thanks a lot.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z