Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#197498 - 06/07/04 02:42 PM Fed Closing on Friday?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Several of our employees have heard that the Fed and Post Office will be closed on Friday to honor President Reagan. I hope I don't encourage this rumor if it is not true. I have emailed the St. Louis Fed, but haven't yet received an answer. Any one heard anything similar?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#197499 - 06/07/04 02:44 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to the White House web site - Friday is a Federal Holiday - that's all I can tell ya.

Return to Top
#197500 - 06/07/04 02:53 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
From the Washington Post

A Day of Mourning and Closed Federal Offices for Reagan
By Stephen Barr
Monday, June 7, 2004; Page B02
Federal agencies will be closed Friday as part of the national day of mourning for former president Ronald Reagan, the White House announced last night.

In an executive order, President Bush said federal government offices "shall be closed on June 11, 2004, as a mark of respect for Ronald Reagan."

Federal offices and programs essential for national defense, homeland security, foreign affairs, law enforcement and other essential business may be kept open, however, at the discretion of agency heads, the order said.

The White House released Bush's executive order shortly after 8 p.m. from Sea Island, Ga., where the leaders of the G-8 industrial nations are scheduled to begin meeting tomorrow. Administration officials said additional information would be sent to agencies today on the closing of the government for the Reagan funeral on Friday.

Current plans call for the 40th president to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda beginning at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. A national funeral service has been scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Friday at Washington National Cathedral.

Bush, in a proclamation yesterday, declared Friday as the official day to mourn Reagan. "I call on the American people to assemble on that day in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President Reagan," Bush said in his proclamation.

Return to Top
#197501 - 06/07/04 03:04 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Thanks guys. If I get a definite answer from Fed, I'll post here.

Return to Top
#197502 - 06/07/04 04:03 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is anyone closing that day? We follow FDIC holiday schedule & they will be closed.

Return to Top
#197503 - 06/07/04 04:07 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I have a feeling since mgmt asked me to find out about Fed closing, that they are at least considering closing.

Return to Top
#197504 - 06/07/04 04:18 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Is anyone closing that day? We follow FDIC holiday schedule & they will be closed.

Anon, I think most banks will follow the Fed's lead. (We will.) A few years ago when the Friday before Christmas was declared a holiday, the Fed did not close. I am not certain they will close this Friday, either. The Presidential proclomation leaves it up to the heads of the different departments and agencies.

Return to Top
#197505 - 06/07/04 04:25 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I asked about it and they laughed at me. I guess that means I will still have to work....

Return to Top
#197506 - 06/07/04 04:26 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I asked about it and they laughed at me. I guess that means I will still have to work....

Ditto. I was asked if I plan to attend the service.

Return to Top
#197507 - 06/07/04 04:32 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our course government employees won't miss this chance to "mourn" and pickup, yet another, day off.......
Oh....... to get on that gravy train.......

Return to Top
#197508 - 06/07/04 04:54 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
KSK Offline
Gold Star
KSK
Kansas
Anon,

As a former government employee and the current spouse of one, I do not appreciate your comment. Granted there are no doubt government employees that no doubt fit the sterotype I think you are attempting to put all government employees into. Rest assured though that there private sector employees that fit that description as well.

Let's not just assume that employment by the United States Government is equal to cushy jobs, good benefits, big paychecks with no work involved. Don't forget that the men and women standing in harm's way everyday defending our liberty and freedom and your right to voice such a malicious comment are United States Government employeees.

I know people that take every opportunity to bash government service (government at all levels, Federal, State, or Local), but take away all of the goods and services that government provides and these will be the first pople to scream and shout that they are "owed" such and such.

Regardless of your politics or personal views on President Reagan, he was none-the-less the President of the United States, Commander-in-Chief, known, loved, and respected by many.

Return to Top
#197509 - 06/07/04 07:07 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
This is the response I got from St. Louis Fed.

Thank you for your inquiry. The Federal Reserve Banks will be open for business on Friday, June 11.

Debbie Boren
Sales and Marketing
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
(314) 444-8946 phone
(314) 444-4654 fax

Return to Top
#197510 - 06/07/04 07:11 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In his honor, I think I'm going to use a vacation day and stay home and watch the funeral on TV.

Return to Top
#197511 - 06/07/04 07:27 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

HOW SENSITIVE ARE YOU TO GET IRRATE ABOUT A STRANGERS COMMENTS? SOUND LIKE A GUILT THING IF I EVER HEARD ONE!

Return to Top
#197512 - 06/07/04 07:34 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Why are you yelling?

Return to Top
#197513 - 06/08/04 10:35 AM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Fed in DC will be closed. All other Fed banks will be open.

Fed Closing

Return to Top
#197514 - 06/08/04 02:11 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
PET Offline
PET
Michigan
If there is no mail delivery on Friday, should the rescission period be extended one day?

Return to Top
#197515 - 06/08/04 02:53 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

If there is no mail delivery on Friday, should the rescission period be extended one day?

Hello from Chicago. I think the technical answer is no. It isn't a date stated in the reg. nor is it, I believe, a holiday under 5 U.S.C. 6103(a). The "does the mail deliver" is a rescission rule of thumb but it is not 100% accurate.

The consumer could still deposit their rescission notice to you in a mail box and rescind. Extending it an extra day is your option and I would recommend this if you don't believe it will strain your relationship with the consumer. It is trickier for banks charging interest during the rescission period.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#197516 - 06/08/04 03:07 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I second Andy's answer. Friday is a business day, mail or no mail, bank open or bank closed. If you choose to give a fourth business day, that's precisely what you are doing.

Return to Top
#197517 - 06/08/04 03:36 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
PET Offline
PET
Michigan
Thanks, Andy. That is the position we are taking, but I received differing opinions from others.

Return to Top
#197518 - 06/08/04 04:06 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
On a related note I see the OCC is allowing national banks to close under certain circumstances. Their site has the release, I'm sure. Sorry I couldn't link I'm certain someone else can.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#197519 - 06/08/04 04:13 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Last edited by Joey's Mom; 06/08/04 04:15 PM.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#197520 - 06/08/04 07:23 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Ditto. I was asked if I plan to attend the service.

That is not only rude but insulting, distasteful, and disrespectful. I do intend to attend the service. I will be watching on my television, but my heart will be with the family and the other mourners right there in DC. Disgraceful, just disgraceful. Are they going to at least give you time off to watch the ceremony? Your bank will get more negative PR by staying open during it than if they closed at least during the ceremony itself.

Return to Top
#197521 - 06/08/04 08:15 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
I've already told my boss that I'll be coming in late (the memorial starts at 8:30 Pacific time). But I'll be staying late to make up the time. Staff that has customer contact don't have that "luxury". They're expected to be at work at 8:30 sharp - 8:00 for the call centers.

Return to Top
#197522 - 06/08/04 10:17 PM Re: Fed Closing on Friday?
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
If it's up to the various depts, is the FDIC closed?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2