Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1976006 - 11/13/14 03:26 PM Huh.
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
24 Percent of Millennials Expect Student Debt Forgiveness

A study released Nov. 12 by Junior Achievement and PwC US finds that 24 percent of millennials expect their student loans will ultimately be forgiven. The average amount of cumulative student debt for undergraduates in the class of 2012 was $26,885, according to a recent Pew Research report. The average debt for 2013 graduates is expected to be even higher. "It's a scary statistic," says Jack Kosakowski, president of Junior Achievement, which co-sponsored the Ypulse survey. But the optimism might not be too far off base, according to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The agency estimates that 25 percent of the U.S. workforce is employed by a public service employer, and "many may be eligible for existing student loan repayment benefits, including Public Service Loan Forgiveness," according to the CFPB website. In June, President Obama issued an executive action to expand eligibility years for the student loan forgiveness program, which eliminates a portion of the debt for graduates who work full-time in qualifying public sector or nonprofit jobs.

From "24 Percent of Millennials Expect Student Debt Forgiveness"
CNBC.com (11/12/14) Langfield, Amy

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1976008 - 11/13/14 03:29 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
How do we continue to pay for the one out of four of us that work in a job that doesn't produce anything? Eventually we all go broke.

Return to Top
#1976017 - 11/13/14 03:37 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
it's kind of a misleading stat since the survey didn't ask why the students thought their loan would be forgiven. IF they suspect more jobs will start paying back their loans as part of their compensation, then that's actually kind of reasonable.

Return to Top
#1976020 - 11/13/14 03:45 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
This is the problem with my generation. Everyone expects everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Return to Top
#1976021 - 11/13/14 03:45 PM Re: Huh. Pale Rider
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
How do we continue to pay for the one out of four of us that work in a job that doesn't produce anything? Eventually we all go broke.

Well but the optimistic side of that is that we dont "produce" material things because those things can be made cheaper and more efficiently elsewhere or through machines. It's good for our actual needs to be cheap and easily available.

Now, this might not be the best thing for the country RELATIVE to other countries. Because with advancements in technology, it's easier to get jobs to places where someone will perform it for the cheapest. And since we're at the top, we're not as desperate or willing to work for as little as other places. And for a lot of heavy labor "producing" jobs there isn't really an inherent advantage we have that make it more appealing for the job to stay in the US.

But i'm optimistic that the overall effect will end up with EVERYONES standard of living improving--just some at a faster rate than others.

What fascinates me is seeing how the automation of jobs goes in the future. It seems scary at first: if machines can do every job, everyone is unemployed. But the other side is that if machines can produce everything, they're gonna be really cheap. AND because humanity as a whole has this extra free time, we can allocate it to progressing further in other ways -- like the rocket we just sent to a comet.

Return to Top
#1976022 - 11/13/14 03:47 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Sorry StupMan, I'm not buying that thought process.

My thoughts are that due to the debt forgiveness to mortgage borrowers who were underwater and businesses who got bailouts from the govt, many student loan borrowers are thinking they'll be afforded the same treatment. Should be interesting to see how it all folds out in the next few years.

Return to Top
#1976023 - 11/13/14 03:49 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
yeah, that's a decent point. moral hazard and all that.

One major thing i think we should reform about student loans is giving them to these internet for-profit colleges that really are just set up to get the loan money and dont provide much useful education.

the whole thing kind of makes me re-think my view on school vouchers for kids.

Return to Top
#1976024 - 11/13/14 03:51 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My son has student loan debt and is a teacher. If he is with his school for two more years (after his current year - a total of five) up to $17,000 of his debt will be forgiven.

Return to Top
#1976025 - 11/13/14 03:52 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"What fascinates me is seeing how the automation of jobs goes in the future. It seems scary at first: if machines can do every job, everyone is unemployed. But the other side is that if machines can produce everything, they're gonna be really cheap. AND because humanity as a whole has this extra free time, we can allocate it to progressing further in other ways -- like the rocket we just sent to a comet."

This does nothing more than limit the available jobs. Today you are a banker tomorrow you are a rocket scientist (or other tech position) and will be hired because?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1976026 - 11/13/14 03:57 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
in Louisiana, if you go to work for the state government, after 10 years your debt is forgiven (not sure if it extends to teachers, local city or parish govt, etc)...and you make no payments during that 10 years. leave before 10 years, and all the interest that was accumulating is tacked on as well...

so the decision for many is do you take a job that pays, on average, about 65-70% of market rate for 10 years to offset your debt. and since yo're employed by the state, you have state retirement and no social security tax.

Return to Top
#1976028 - 11/13/14 03:57 PM Re: Huh. Skittles
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
From collegedata.com comes this:
Quote:
According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2013–2014 school year was $30,094 at private colleges, $8,893 for state residents at public colleges, and $22,203 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.
I don't mean this to sound biased but your average kid and/or his parents is going to have to get that money himself. Scholarships are for the brightest, most athletic or those that fall into diversity quota categories.

Return to Top
#1976032 - 11/13/14 04:02 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
"... i'm optimistic that the overall effect will end up with EVERYONES standard of living improving..."

Misplaced optimism in my view.

Might as well say that osmosis will elevate everyone's standard of living.

Return to Top
#1976034 - 11/13/14 04:01 PM Re: Huh. edAudit
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: edAudit
"What fascinates me is seeing how the automation of jobs goes in the future. It seems scary at first: if machines can do every job, everyone is unemployed. But the other side is that if machines can produce everything, they're gonna be really cheap. AND because humanity as a whole has this extra free time, we can allocate it to progressing further in other ways -- like the rocket we just sent to a comet."

This does nothing more than limit the available jobs. Today you are a banker tomorrow you are a rocket scientist (or other tech position) and will be hired because?

Well i was thinking more big picture long-term view for humanity. What you're describing is one of the issues we need to think about --especially with the speed at which technology is advancing. We need some way to bridge the gap, but long term the cheaper "needs" would make it easier to switch careers as we evolve into having new desired fields for humanity.

Return to Top
#1976035 - 11/13/14 04:03 PM Re: Huh. noelekal
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: noelekal
"... i'm optimistic that the overall effect will end up with EVERYONES standard of living improving..."

Misplaced optimism in my view.

Might as well say that osmosis will elevate everyone's standard of living.

you think cheaper, more easily available basic needs is a bad thing? Would you prefer it if water was $50 a gallon and you had to pay for oxygen?

Return to Top
#1976036 - 11/13/14 04:04 PM Re: Huh. Pale Rider
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK

Does that 1 out of 4 include teachers who "don't produce anything"? Just curious.

Return to Top
#1976039 - 11/13/14 04:07 PM Re: Huh. raitchjay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: raitchjay

Does that 1 out of 4 include teachers who "don't produce anything"? Just curious.

I would say that 25% of the teachers do not produce anything but the other 75% produce Doctors, bankers lawyers, trash collectors...

CAMS

Return to Top
#1976040 - 11/13/14 04:07 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
We all work for banks...what do we "produce"?

Return to Top
#1976043 - 11/13/14 04:10 PM Re: Huh. raitchjay
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
We all work for banks...what do we "produce"?

click traffic for BOL?

Return to Top
#1976044 - 11/13/14 04:11 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
grin

Return to Top
#1976046 - 11/13/14 04:13 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
[/i]"you think cheaper, more easily available basic needs is a bad thing? Would you prefer it if water was $50 a gallon and you had to pay for oxygen?"[i]

Cheaper relative to what, Stupendous Man?

Teachers, at least if they are allowed to teach and run a classroom rather than to kowtow to ill-conceived bureaucratic edicts, produce educated students. You know better than that, raitchjay.

It's burgeoning government bureaucracy that doesn't produce anything.
Last edited by noelekal; 11/13/14 04:15 PM.

Return to Top
#1976047 - 11/13/14 04:15 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It's burgeoning government bureaucracy that doesn't produce anything.

Gridlock is something.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1976048 - 11/13/14 04:15 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I know good teachers are very valuable commodities; my question was whether they fall under the "people who don't produce anything" category that Pale mentioned, since evidently "people who don't produce anything" aren't very valuable members of society.

Return to Top
#1976049 - 11/13/14 04:16 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
You know better than that so why pose that question.

Return to Top
#1976050 - 11/13/14 04:18 PM Re: Huh. MB Guy
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Sorry. I shouldn't have questioned it.

I'll move along.

:baaaaaaaaaaaaaa:

::munches grass, waits to be sheared::
Last edited by raitchjay; 11/13/14 04:22 PM.

Return to Top
#1976051 - 11/13/14 04:17 PM Re: Huh. noelekal
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: noelekal
[/i]"you think cheaper, more easily available basic needs is a bad thing? Would you prefer it if water was $50 a gallon and you had to pay for oxygen?"[i]

Cheaper relative to what, Stupendous Man?

The human resources required to acquire them.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3